• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods headed for Extinction

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I like Posole & Menudo.

As far as gizzards go, down here in South Texas they are very common.

I only tried Foie once several years ago...Nasty!!!!

But I don't like anything that's an organ, Liver, kidneys ect...

You like menudo but don't like anything that is an organ?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
You like menudo but don't like anything that is an organ?

Don't rain on his parade.
laugh.gif

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
It's so hard to tell. I mean, look at what's coming back. Offal, charcuterie, oxtails, pig trotters, etc. Who would have thought?
When I was living in the US 10 years ago, the only thing I really missed was good charcuterie.

Originally Posted by iammatt
Where my mother lives in France, they eat confit gizzards like they are going out of style. I can't think of a local restaurant that does not serve them.
I love them grilled on a salad. I used to live in Toulouse and duck in all its forms is a staple there.

I foresee a market in importing French foie in the next 15 years.
Yup.

Originally Posted by nootje
sadly, production is under pressure here in europe as well...
I can assure you it's not going anywhere in France.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I can assure you it's not going anywhere in France.

I was told those eco hippies had gotten to the boards of those hypermarche's as well
wink.gif

anyway, its getting harder and harder to obtain in the benelux
frown.gif
allthough if you try, its still doable..

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I'm pretty sure I've told this story on here, but two Thanksgivings ago, I was driving on the south (black) side of town when I saw three young black men around a pickup truck. There was a white bedsheet hung up as a sign. Spray-painted on it was "COONS" in gigantic letters. Startled, I circled back around to see if it were some sort of social protest/joke.

No. It was guys selling frozen raccoons for $8-$15, depending on their size. I was tempted to go by Publix by some saltines and set up a competing "CRACKERS" booth across the street, but common sense got the better of me.

Anyway, when I told my mom about she calmly asked what the big deal was. We had eaten raccoon at Thanksgiving until I was about four or five.
plain.gif

As for chicken salad - I just don't see any young people craving chicken salad. At all.

I think many casseroles are on their way out too. People don't cook nearly as much as they used to, and these are not the types of foods that restaurants generally serve.

Varmint recipes from the 1975 Joy of Cooking.
http://books.google.com/books?id=C4_...age&q=&f=false

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne

I love them grilled on a salad. I used to live in Toulouse and duck in all its forms is a staple there.

She is about 150km almost due north of there. Food is very similar, I imagine. Beautiful area. I'll be there in ten days.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
if anyone is serious about getting bottarga, gustiamo is a good source. they have both tuna and mullet. there is some variability, but it is a dried preserved product (roe), so it shouldn't be that big a factor if you're buying from a reputable source. but wow is it expensive.

Chefshop.com carries bottarga and usually has a decent selection of canned fish

On a related note, they sell a very nice smoked paprika.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another foodstuff that might disappear is freshwater eel. Tremendous pressure on the species because of fishing, and farming them only made it worse. There is a light at the end though, ive heard about some lab around these parts that has succesfully made the eels spawn. Which might be the beginning of a whole new industry.

I heard there were tons of them living in the Amsterdam canals

K

CBDB

Reaction score
I've had good bear and not so good bear. Best bear I've ever had was short ribs and a roast. A couple of my sibs live hundreds of miles north of the Minnesota border and meats from hunting are a major protein source up there. Moose is even more dodgy than bear.

Moose dodgy? I'm surprised, I've had moose from several parts of the great white north and have found them all to be delicious...like beef but a welcome bit of gameyness. Bear on the other hand was black, very gamey (read: "how long has this been sitting out?") and greasy
frown.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
Moose dodgy? I'm surprised, I've had moose from several parts of the great white north and have found them all to be delicious...like beef but a welcome bit of gameyness. Bear on the other hand was black, very gamey (read: "how long has this been sitting out?") and greasy
frown.gif

I've only had it from one part, namely that area directly north of Minnesota. If not cooked properly, it is dry and tough. One trick I was shown was to wrap a moose steak in bacon for cooking.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I heard there were tons of them living in the Amsterdam canals

K

youve been there, would you eat anything that comes out of those canals?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how chicken salad would be on it's way out. It's offered on the menu of every diner in the country, and probably every single family type restaurant. They sell chicken salad sandwiches at truck stops, 7/11s, any place that sells sandwiches. I mean the only thing more ubiquitous than a chicken salad sandwich is ham and cheese or maybe tuna salad.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
youve been there, would you eat anything that comes out of those canals?

A friend of mine fell in on Queensday once. At the time he was drunk and pissing off the side of a boat while trying to avoid some dude trying piss on him as we went under a bridge.

We didnt eat him or anything, but it was nasty.

I miss Queensday.

K

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I don't understand how chicken salad would be on it's way out. It's offered on the menu of every diner in the country, and probably every single family type restaurant. They sell chicken salad sandwiches at truck stops, 7/11s, any place that sells sandwiches. I mean the only thing more ubiquitous than a chicken salad sandwich is ham and cheese or maybe tuna salad.

I have never seen chicken salad on a diner menu. Ever. Maybe there's some regional difference....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads