• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsemmyyo

Reaction score
i just got a pair of iron hearts 301s and the person at self edge said it was sanforized. my question is should i pre soak them? or not? IF so How do i pre soak them, please explain the process to me, since im new to this. thank you.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsemmyyo
i just got a pair of iron hearts 301s and the person at self edge said it was sanforized. my question is should i pre soak them? or not? IF so How do i pre soak them, please explain the process to me, since im new to this. thank you.

Sanforized means that very little shrinking will occur. Hence no need to pre-soak them (which is done in the purpose of shrinking them down, without the excess loss of indigo a machine wash causes).

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eseanyang
hey guys im planning to get an iron heart belt but i cant decide whether to get the tan color or the brown color one. Which do you guys recommend?? Tan one: http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=319 Brown one: http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=207
Both will darken, as they're only given a light wax coating (as many saddle leather belts like Tanner are). But keep in mind that they won't darken so significantly that the tan will ever look like the brown, hence why they offer the two colors. Tan is more casual in my book, but then, both are casual denim belts, really. Go with your preferred belt color. I went with the Tanner London Tan and though I like it, I wish I'd done darker.
Originally Posted by itsemmyyo
Always, always, always, always soak. Sanforized will still have some shrink, it primes the denim for better longevity, it brings out the character of the denim and it rids the fabric of some of the starch, which is a good thing. Look, I've tried it both ways, and believe me there's nothing to gain by wearing them dry, and you may be in for an expensive lesson otherwise. They'll still be stiff after a soak, but you really want to have them primed and shrunk before investing time into them, don't you? Edit: tub, hot or warm water, thirty minutes soak laid out flat, drain, hang dry. It's that simple.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
Thanks, I'll probably go ahead with the wash tomorrow. It's a cotton-viscose blend, 60/40, so I'm thinking it should be fine, right?

You may get puckering at the seams, but it's not wool, so shrinkage should be controllable. Cotton and viscose (a cotton-like thread) do fine in the wash and dryer, as long as it's not too frequently.

My rec. is to wash warm and dry slowly on low heat the first time around so it doesn't shrink too much.

If that doesn't shrink it enough, you can wet the sweater and re-dry. If you re-dry, I suggest air drying it until it's just damp - spares the sweater extended tumbling in the dryer.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-posted from WAYWT.
waywt3.jpg
How would i remove the stains (scuffs?) from the toes of these shoes? Polish? Some sort of spray? A cleaning solution?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Cross-posted from WAYWT.
waywt3.jpg

How would i remove the stains (scuffs?) from the toes of these shoes? Polish? Some sort of spray? A cleaning solution?

If they're scuffs, it depends how deep. Colorless polish or mink oil and then a boar bristle brush-polish will buff out surface scuffs. If the scuff is deeper in the leather, you'll need a color-matched polish to stain the raw exposed leather back to dye color., then polish

If it's a stain, I have no idea. Guess it depends on what stained it. Salt? Ink? Paint? All depends...

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
If they're scuffs, it depends how deep. Colorless polish or mink oil and then a boar bristle brush-polish will buff out surface scuffs. If the scuff is deeper in the leather, you'll need a color-matched polish to stain the raw exposed leather back to dye color., then polish

If it's a stain, I have no idea. Guess it depends on what stained it. Salt? Ink? Paint? All depends...

If it's a stain, then it would be salt, probably. How can you tell the difference between a stain and scuffs?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
If it's a stain, then it would be salt, probably. How can you tell the difference between a stain and scuffs?

Hm, hard to tell occasionally. I'd take a warm wet washcloth and wipe them down, then air dry. Works for many salt stains I've had.

Or better, get a tin of saddle soap and follow instructions. Saddle soap is a detergent and moisturizer, so it cleans and conditions. Then polish.

If that doesn't work, consult a cobbler.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking the question for the millionth time, but regarding 501 STFs.

How do you get maximum shrinkage without resorting to throwing them in the dryer for 30 minutes? 4 hours of really hot water? Keep dunking boiling water into the tub for 4 hours?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Sorry for asking the question for the millionth time, but regarding 501 STFs. How do you get maximum shrinkage without resorting to throwing them in the dryer for 30 minutes? 4 hours of really hot water? Keep dunking boiling water into the tub for 4 hours?
In the tub with hot water, as hot as you can get it. From a kettle. I'm not so sure about boiling them on the stove though... Shrinkage will only occur in the first fifteen minutes or so. You can keep it hot for a half hour to be sure. Dry and then repeat, as a second soak will ensure full shrink.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, considering that the WAYWT thread dissolved into a pissing match, I'll just ask here.

Does that sweater i'm wearing above fit the right way? I'm not really a sweater guy, so I'm trying it out in a somewhat directionless manner. I've figured that you can't size down too much or the underlying B/D distorts the sweater fabric, but beyond that, i can't really tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members