• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shell cordovan?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Moo,

I'm not sure, they may be but until you wipe off the polish and look at those creases it is hard to tell. However, in the first picture, look at the top three lace holes on the outside of the right shoe (enlarge the picture and then blow it up as far as you can without losing all resolution). Isn't that cracking/tearing skin on all three holes? If that is the case, it does not matter what they are made of, the leather is dried out and the shoes are beyond repair as far as I am concerned.

Edit: You can see the cracks in the third picture too.

Yes, I see that. I sent the seller a question about this... these deficiencies aren't mentioned in the description.
confused.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Perhaps the other two stooges will make an appearance, but Foo will have to walk under a closed door and Trini will have to get off his Miami Vice jet boat before doing so.

I think you should get the shoes. Then, you'll have yet one more thrifted, questionable version of something in my closet.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
It's not always so clear when something is shell or not, maybe the lining has an effect? I have the following shoes (which I posted in the shoes with character thread) which I have always suspected of being shell, but really don't know. They are half lined, and I think below vamp they are linen-lined. They have some micro-creasing, but they have the same "dull shine" of shell and don't take polish or conditioner too well. I have them pegged as either CG or shell. I also agree with Moo that the puckering around the lace holes seems like a shell trait. Anyhoo, seems like a lot of experts are weighing in here, so please give me your best guess.
5.jpg
Moo - not intending to thread crap, thought that there were some similarities between the shoe you posted and this one, so maybe the answers will be enlightening.

** Those are NOT shell. I am 100% certain. EDIT: they look like full-grain calf to me.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShirazAddict
Hmm, look suspiciously like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/MEN-FLORSHEIM-SH...item3a56752a66
Moo's actually look suspiciously nothing like these. The shoes in the quoted auction are clearly shell. I'll stay mum on my opinion of Moo's shoes, because I really don't know or care. The leather on the shoes in this auction do not look like Moo's, though.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think you should get the shoes. Then, you'll have yet one more thrifted, questionable version of something in my closet.

laugh.gif
worship.gif
foo.gif

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
** Those are NOT shell. I am 100% certain.

EDIT: they look like full-grain calf to me.

Thanks for the response ferguscan. I don't think they are full-grain, they are just too smooth, and they don't take polish very well. I have polished them in the past though because I didn't know what CG or shell were and had no idea that polish was either bad or pointless. It's one of those questions that I always had, and will have no more. They are what they are and I like 'em.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable, another Moo thread that has gone into 4 pages, over $47 pair of beaten to death shoes?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Better for me to have a thirfted version of your shoes than for you to have a thrifted version of my house/lifestyle/etc. eh?

JensenH

Reaction score
Seriously Moo, why have a cow over a pair of $47 used shoes? Buy new from a B&M store (and pay full retail) if you want to be assured of product authenticity.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
Seriously Moo, why have a cow over a pair of $47 used shoes? Buy new from a B&M store (and pay full retail) if you want to be assured of product authenticity.

laugh.gif

It's much more fun like this. I received a reply from the seller, who seems like quite a nice fellow!

Dear Mister Moozerly,

I'm not quite sure where to begin. First there are no micro creases in these shoes. I have sold over 40 pairs of shell cordovan leather shoes while with ebay and to date have not yet had one pair returned for being regular bovine leather. I know the entire very long process of making the leather as it is done primarily here in Chicago. The leather is waxy with no creasing or cracking whatsoever, only bending. Secondly the top three lace holes on the right shoe have small normal use marks around them. If they were torn I would have not purchased them in the first place, and certainly would never sell them in such horrible condition. I will only say that my selling feedback is perfect for a very good reason. I know what I'm selling and I stand behind my product. If you are not happy with the shoes you may return them for a full refund. The second place buyer is a return Japanese customer that lost by only a dollar. I'm sure he would be thrilled to have such an amazing pair of Florsheims. In my auction I clearly stated that if you had any questions about the shoes you should have them answered prior to placing a bid. I would have answered them happily at that time. These shoes are vintage and have been used by another person. They are not perfect and I did not state that they were mint or perfect. If that is what you were looking to buy, I would have directed you to another source.

Needless to say, I'll be sending him the moneys shortly.
smile.gif

JeremyC

Reaction score
Doesn't look like cow to me. Regardless it's a good looking shoe at a great price

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt