• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI. I just received the 1907's i ordered from papashoe, and they are rock solid. I ordered an 11, the same size as my Katadihns. I'm wearing thin cotton socks, and there is some wiggle room in the heel when i walk, really not much to worry about, but fit perfectly when it comes to the width (D) and toe box.

thomasec

Reaction score
OK guys need some advice. Just grabbed a pair of GT's, and they are really, really narrow on me. So much so, that I can almost feel my little toe overlapping (even with thin dress socks).

Will these stretch out at all width wise, or should I return them?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return them and buy the Iron Rangers, they come in wide sizes. If you need tread, well maybe the RW Chelsea, or the Chukkas, or maybe another brand. THe Beckman mock toe has more room in the toe box and has a good tread like the GT's and those might work for you. There are fewer well made, stylish boots, with tread and wide sizing for under 300$ than you would think. If you find any, be sure to post.

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Return them and buy the Iron Rangers, they come in wide sizes. If you need tread, well maybe the RW Chelsea, or the Chukkas, or maybe another brand. THe Beckman mock toe has more room in the toe box and has a good tread like the GT's and those might work for you. There are fewer well made, stylish boots, with tread and wide sizing for under 300$ than you would think. If you find any, be sure to post.
I just grabbed a pair of Iron Rangers which are beyond awesome, but I really want one with good tread for the winter. What about sizing up and getting an insole? And what's the difference b/t the Moc Toe and GT?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
I just grabbed a pair of Iron Rangers which are beyond awesome, but I really want one with good tread for the winter.

What about sizing up and getting an insole?

You mean with the GT's? I suppose it might work, I just hate having my feet slide around. I've just abandoned the GT's altogether. If you don't mind a true work boot try these
http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_la...1.php#ChipLace

as for something a little more refined ala the GT's, like I said, they're pretty hard to find. Alden would be the obvious answer but they're spendy. Trickers is another option, but again, spendy. Maybe the 1000 mile boot but those don't seem to come in wide sizes although I have not tried one on.
The red wing 8146 are good if you don't mind the mock toe.
http://workingperson.com/products/22...4&ci_sku=10357

if this guy has your size, they are the best deal going:
http://clothing.shop.ebay.com/Mens-S...=p3286.c0.m282

thomasec

Reaction score
Can I take it to a cobbler or Red Wing store to stretch them out? I really love the way the black GT's look, and there doesn't seem to be much out there in the same price range.

anteck7

Reaction score
Little primer, my goal here is to replace a 4 or 5 year old pair of Doc martins i bought, i dont know the style number, but they are a moc toe. In any case, the inside liner (fabric) is just ripped to crap, and the leather is pretty much formless.

The soles are also shot from riding a motorcycle. (since have moved to a harness boot)

I work in a fairly casual office environment. Khakis and jeans are perfectly acceptable and frankly doing much more than that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I now have both boots
musicboohoo[1].gif

Im now sitting a pair of J. Crew Rugged Work Boots size 13

red-wing-j-crew-rugged-classic-boot.jpg

and a pair of the GT in black cherry size 12

4144tjU8mLL._AA280_.jpg

with both boots, both actually fit about the same depsite being differntly sized

Overall impressions on both.

They both seem to be well made of high quality leather, if i was actually going to be outside in these for any period of time, I would want a liner, or at least a nice pair or 2 of socks.

The leather sole of the J. Crew boot seems to have been skimped on, seems lik there is only one or 2 layers and then the rubber. The leather sole on the GT is much thicker, but its also exposed to the elements. I'm not sure how getting this soaked would really do.

My mini Review- on the J. Crew

These are pretty comfy right out of the box, the interior has some kinda foam insole material (non removable
frown.gif
) that seems to be comfy, but there is no real support other than that (it may mold to the foot)

The bottom is beefy, and the soles are very grippy, this isnt far from a serious boot.
Its also the closest to my old doc martins.

I'm concerned that my feet look like boats with these things. They are big chunky boots, (not that my old ones weren't) but I think i was hoping for a little more class. I like the Moc Toe look, but not sure if i can pull these off.

I think they will work with jeans, (all mine are boot cut...on account of the bike),

My Mini Review on the GT

These are stiff boots, and the volume is low (at least for my size 13 foot), I honestly don't know if i could put an insole in there...perhaps a super feet black, but thats may push my heel out of the heel cup. I may try an Ariat ATS insole (I have used in my motorcycle boots and some other shoes, they really are quite amazing. They are made for cowboy boots, of which many have no insole, these provide some comfort, without taking up much boot volume)

The boots dont offer any support...at all, just as everyone else has observed. These will be hard on your feet, If walk alot, I would look elsewhere... You can say how good the feel once they are broken in, but these do not support the foot or the knees or provide any cushioning, they are more along the lines of a dress boot then a work boot in function.

(I love the way the old style is too, but if you actually need a working boot, you don't by these, if you do your kidding yourself and will soon find yourself in a world of pain)

The leather is nice, and looks like it will age well, there is a manufacturing defect on the one shoe (cosmetic), so they might go back.

The soles look grippy on the front but not on the heel. I would not want to work off road with these. I worry about snow swelling the bottoms as well.

The J. Crew boots are pretty much a direct replacement for my Dr.Martins, Right now im leaning on keeping them and sending the GTs back. I cant really justify both pairs of boots right now.

On the other hand I'm considering sending the J. Crew back and buying a real outdoor type boot.

I do like the multifaceted aspect of the J. Crew boot, and it is more comfortable.

What you guys think?

dawei69

Reaction score
hi, i'm new here, where would be the best place for international orders on Redwings?? i'm quite interested the the GT cherry. thanks in advance

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I switched out the standard yellow boot laces in the Red Wing 8146 (J Crew Rugged Classic) with the brown/black rawhie lcases included in the box. Now, the laces don't provide enough of a contrast to the original boot. Anyone experiment with all black laces or other color laces with theese boots?

Thanks

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I dont like the RW laces so I always use something else, anything from Paul Smith boot laces to Doc Marten laces etc. I like a lot of contrast between lace/boot and lace my black cherry and black GTs the same as I do my Docs, white laces straight across.

re: anteck's comment on the comfort of GTs after a lot of walking.....obviously YMMV but I find the GTs (with an insole) to be supremely comfortable after long walks. I took them to Europe a couple years ago and did more walking in 2 weeks than I would do the whole year and they never caused my feet to hurt or blister. But you gotta put in a good insole, but that goes for almost any boot imo. Also helps to wear boot socks (i like the Red Wing socks) and not thin dress socks.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1907s arrived the other day, and they've got insoles. Didn't expect that - not that I'm complaining! Has Red Wing started including insoles now? What have been the experiences of people who have ordered other models recently?

Curious_George

Reaction score
The 1907s are one of the few models that come with an insole as far as I know. Ordered and returned some Iron Rangers recently and they didn't have an insole.

mjo317

Reaction score
I just got my order of black cherry GTs, and I'm loving them. I sized one down from my Sperrys and it was a perfect fit. On another note, why is everyone's feet so damn big? I'm almost ashamed to say that my GTs are a size 7

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elexzar