• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

danilo

Reaction score
City, I'm looking for a pair of aviators. I've heard some people recommend me American Optical. I took a look at these and they seem to be nice for the price.
opplanet-ao-general-sunglasses-52mm-4.jpg
I very much like these Tom Fords but they are quite a bit high on the price range... anything else you could recommend along the lines of these two?
tom-ford-james-bond-sunglasses.jpg

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The James Bond Tom Fords were based on the Oliver Peoples Airman, but the price is about the same (and I think the Airman might be discontinued).

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
those tom fords were going for like $130 at the bluebee sale a few weeks ago.

almost picked up, but I have commanders already

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
those tom fords were going for like $130 at the bluebee sale a few weeks ago.

almost picked up, but I have commanders already

That makes me feel
frown.gif

nanny

Reaction score
Dear City,

You have a very good eye. I went to the source and called Oakley (coincidentally, the headquarters in Foothill Ranch are only 15 minutes from my house in Laguna Hills). They confirmed the glasses are Original Minute Oakleys. Now comes the hard part, they have been discontinued and I don't know where to begin looking, any suggestions? I really only want them in white!!

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nanny
Dear City,

You have a very good eye. I went to the source and called Oakley (coincidentally, the headquarters in Foothill Ranch are only 15 minutes from my house in Laguna Hills). They confirmed the glasses are Original Minute Oakleys. Now comes the hard part, they have been discontinued and I don't know where to begin looking, any suggestions? I really only want them in white!!

Seriously. You are a disappointment to your parents.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nanny
Dear City,

If they are discontinued, your best bet would be to get them on Ebay or something. I doubt anyone will have the original minutes anymore. I had them MANY years ago in a goldish color and then now I have it in a cloud blue. Good luck on your journey to find them! The harder to find, the better you will feel when you find them.
tongue.gif

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
any answer to my question above City?

Sorry, I thought that others had already answered.

In any case, in that style of Aviator, there are a lot of options. If you are looking for something similar to the Tom Fords, the only 1 that I can think of is a sample of Von Dutch that I have in gold.

But just about anything aviator that you find will be less expensive than Tom Fords. I have said it before and I will say it again... The styles are nice, but forgettable (nothing will be a staple piece, in terms of eyewear) and the price point is a bit high for most. There are tons that are less expensive like all the names listed in previous posts. Hugo Boss, Prada, Diesel, Maui Jim, RayBans and many more.

Sorry that I cant help out more, its just that aviators are known as a shape now. So it is like asking for a square-ish shape. Tons of brands make them. But if you ask me for a certain material or style feature, I might be able to help out more.

danilo

Reaction score
Well specifically I was wondering about the American Optical aviators that I posted... is there quality on par with say Ray Ban?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
Well specifically I was wondering about the American Optical aviators that I posted... is there quality on par with say Ray Ban?

If we are talking Luxottica RayBan, I would say that the AO frames would be better. Ray-Bans made today are very mediocre. They are mass produced and quality control has decreased (like any large manufacture). I would go with an AO frame. Basically, anything produced before the year 2000, is probably good quality and those highends today.

Alfa

Reaction score
Hi City,

Fantastic thread! I am a spectacle nut and think varying glasses can have a huge impact on a wardrobe. I have two questions:

1) I am asian and have a nearly non-existent nose bridge. This didn't stop me from buying a pair of acetate Mikli's and a Prada pair a few years back. I love both of them, but I find the fit on the bridge very loose and subsequently don't wear them very often (I have a pair of Porsche Design which I bought here in asia which I really love and fit fantastically). I have heard it is possible on acetate frames to have an optical store heat up a pin and insert a nose bridge just like on metal framed glasses. Have you seen this done before and is it advisable?

2) I would like to find aviator eyeglasses. I have been searching, but they are nearly non-existent in the market here (I am in Singapore). Is it possible to buy aviator sunglasses and convert them to clear or transition lenses? What considerations do I need to make when buying for this conversion? Do the lenses need to be flatter? I have a pretty low prescription (+1.5, +2) so I don't need coke bottle lenses, but I assume there are some limitations on what optical glass curvatures are preferably.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which brands/designers make a stylish and good-quality thin metal frame?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Which brands/designers make a stylish and good-quality thin metal frame?
Die. CC, is there any way to get an 8-base frame with my prescription (-3, -2.5) without getting distorted and fishbowl-ey at the edges? My one experience with this so far was pretty negative, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to bad lenses and sizing vs just being the nature of an 8-base lens.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj_fl