• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What compliments did you recieve today?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I got alot of compliments on My Yves Saint Laurent High tops but today when I went to TGI Fridays there where 3 employes at the entrance 2 girls and a guy they where all googly over them saying things like "ive never seen shoes like that" and "they are awesome" which is cool but it got awkward when the guy said "someones not leaving this restaraunt". I was silent then went alrighty I guess im off to eat.

laugh.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually received a real-life compliment today: the young beautiful cashier who took my coffee money in the organic food store told me she liked my Banana Republic dress shirt.

For just one moment, I felt like such a special flower.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"nice boots...."

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, serious question, would you give a compliment to a guy if you though he was "well-dressed" (whatever that may entail for you).

But my own answer is no(generally).

1.) Haven't seen many people dressed well enough to give compliments

2.) I'd feel weird.

But I'm young, so it might be different in say an office setting and I notice someone else wearing a fitted suit with nice shoes. Otherwise, I'm not going to go approach some random guy on the street and say "Hey nice Diors, are those 19cm or 21cm?"

But it's a complicated scenario. If I was, perhaps, in a store, I might compliment an SA I think is well dressed. But if I did, I think I could only compliment a specific item, probably one I could identify, and probably not jeans.

In other words, I might compliment someone who is well dressed, isn't a complete utter stranger, and is wearing recognizable clothing (that way it comes off as more of a shared hobby compliment, rather than a potentially creepy "Your jeans fit you nice... mmm" comment).

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
took a trip to vancouver a couple days ago and some dude came up to me in Roden Gray and complimented me on my Ann D pants. no clue how he knew what designer they were, I was pretty impressed lol

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Hi, serious question, would you give a compliment to a guy if you though he was "well-dressed" (whatever that may entail for you).

But my own answer is no(generally).

1.) Haven't seen many people dressed well enough to give compliments

2.) I'd feel weird.

But I'm young, so it might be different in say an office setting and I notice someone else wearing a fitted suit with nice shoes. Otherwise, I'm not going to go approach some random guy on the street and say "Hey nice Diors, are those 19cm or 21cm?"

But it's a complicated scenario. If I was, perhaps, in a store, I might compliment an SA I think is well dressed. But if I did, I think I could only compliment a specific item, probably one I could identify, and probably not jeans.

In other words, I might compliment someone who is well dressed, isn't a complete utter stranger, and is wearing recognizable clothing (that way it comes off as more of a shared hobby compliment, rather than a potentially creepy "Your jeans fit you nice... mmm" comment).

You don't have to say anything specific to start a conversation with a person.

"Hey man, dope shirt." Gets the point across and its no ****.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a "garden party" the othe rnight, I was the only guy in a suit (hey, I didn't think it meant a party that would involve gardening, I thought that it was a party in a garden). I must had had 20 people tell me I looked "dapper". I don't really like "dapper" but I can live with it.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
You don't have to say anything specific to start a conversation with a person. "Hey man, dope shirt." Gets the point across and its no ****.
I like my compliments to be sincere (receiving and giving). I don't think I can pull off saying dope as a serious compliment when it comes to clothing. Besides, I'm more reactive in general than proactive so I wouldn't be inclined to start a conversation like that randomly with a stranger, just my personality.
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I went to a "garden party" the othe rnight, I was the only guy in a suit (hey, I didn't think it meant a party that would involve gardening, I thought that it was a party in a garden). I must had had 20 people tell me I looked "dapper". I don't really like "dapper" but I can live with it.
At least they didn't ask you how much it costs.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Dapper" isn't so much a compliment as a way of saying "why the hell are you so dressed up?" I get called dapper at work a lot.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
"Dapper" isn't so much a compliment as a way of saying "why the hell are you so dressed up?" I get called dapper at work a lot.

imo, when used on me 'dapper' has been ~50/50 underhanded vs geniune

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of soundin like a prick, I've rarely seen anyone worthy of compliment around here.

It seems like most of the people who compliment me (usually "you smell nice or nice pants") are those who sell stuff. People from school or even my friends don't really say much.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
incitylimo