• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tattoos claim another victim

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinpba
Fact: If you're good at your job, people will get over the fact you have tattoos.

Not to mention, most tattoos can be completely covered up for an interview. Personally, I wouldn't get one that couldn't be covered by a suit, but that's just me. In some cultures where tattoos are more accepted, even expected as a rite of passage or something equally meaningful, that would be different. For example, using my own tribe as an example again, pierced ears are expected in order to participate in religious ceremonies, and I have never felt a need to take out my earrings (usually just gold studs) for interviews. My only experience so far is with research and academia, but my semi-long hair generally covers my ears anyway, but that's another cultural tradition that I am not, in general, willing to change just to get a job.

Ultimately, in some cultures tattoos have a history of being a mark of criminals and the underworld, yes. In other cultures, they are marks of adulthood, respect, and even prestige. While we who come from different cultures may face harsh realities in certain facets of the job market, there are employers out there (I've encountered them) who will look past such things if you are truly qualified for a position.

Generalizing that "tattoos are looked down upon" is specific to a certain culture in a certain time and a certain place.

Luddite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i look at it this way: i've never seen a doctor or a lawyer with tattoos all over the place like that. usually just strung out kinda people.

I'm a Judges' Clerk at the High Court here. I have worked in one of my country's largest law firms, which has a strategic alliance with one of the largest London firms. I rejected a job offer from the NZ branch of a top 25 firm two years ago.

I have 80+ hours of tattoos on me. Later this year, I will be getting my right forearm tattooed. Currently, I have my lower neck tattooed. As a result, I always wear my collar buttoned at work, with a tie.

My ears are stretched to 11mm, but I have not worn anything but standard gauge rings in them in two years. I don't wear jewellery at work, aside from cufflinks and a watch.

The worst comment that I have received was from a partner, at a work BBQ, when I was wearing shorts. Both my legs are pretty well covered. He paused, looked confused, then said: "Wow. I didn't realise you had that. Very....21st century."

I get more guff for wearing knit ties, brown shoes, or pocket squares, and I don't get much for any of those. Unless it's face or hand, it's not a big deal. If you can hide it under a suit, it's no issue.

One of my colleagues has hand tattoos. Tribal, but very traditional.

I would love to get a jobstopper one day. But, I do recognise that face, neck, and hand tattoos could compromise my career. As is, I just have to wear a tie. Which, really, is good, because the baggy black suit, ugly shirt, square shoes, no tie "business casual" combo is a bloody abomination.

And, yo, I don't feel like a middle-aged, middle-class, middle-American dude pretending to be a biker. I'm 23 and spend my weekends at hardcore shows and just hanging out. Many, if not most, of my friends are pretty heavily tattooed. I'm a punk kid who spent five years pretending to be a law student, walked out with two degrees and honours, and is now trying to stay sane working full-time.

Girls with sleeves are proper bangin'.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luddite
I'm a Judges' Clerk at the High Court here. I have worked in one of my country's largest law firms, which has a strategic alliance with one of the largest London firms. I rejected a job offer from the NZ branch of a top 25 firm two years ago. I have 80+ hours of tattoos on me. Later this year, I will be getting my right forearm tattooed. Currently, I have my lower neck tattooed. As a result, I always wear my collar buttoned at work, with a tie. My ears are stretched to 11mm, but I have not worn anything but standard gauge rings in them in two years. I don't wear jewellery at work, aside from cufflinks and a watch. The worst comment that I have received was from a partner, at a work BBQ, when I was wearing shorts. Both my legs are pretty well covered. He paused, looked confused, then said: "Wow. I didn't realise you had that. Very....21st century." I get more guff for wearing knit ties, brown shoes, or pocket squares, and I don't get much for any of those. Unless it's face or hand, it's not a big deal. If you can hide it under a suit, it's no issue. One of my colleagues has hand tattoos. Tribal, but very traditional. I would love to get a jobstopper one day. But, I do recognise that face, neck, and hand tattoos could compromise my career. As is, I just have to wear a tie. Which, really, is good, because the baggy black suit, ugly shirt, square shoes, no tie "business casual" combo is a bloody abomination. And, yo, I don't feel like a middle-aged, middle-class, middle-American dude pretending to be a biker. I'm 23 and spend my weekends at hardcore shows and just hanging out. Many, if not most, of my friends are pretty heavily tattooed. I'm a punk kid who spent five years pretending to be a law student, walked out with two degrees and honours, and is now trying to stay sane working full-time. Girls with sleeves are proper bangin'.
NZ isn't the US. You'd need a 4.0 from Harvard Law to land those jobs here with that much work. Practically speaking it's a big disadvantage to sport visible tats in the US (professions and Corporate).

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
Some people I'm sure regret it (i'd regret it if I'd gotten a lower back tattoo), and some I'm sure do it to say "look at me." But for me it's not any more "look at me" than dressing well or making sure my hair and skin look good. I just happen to like the way a tattoo looks.

As for the guys who think it's nasty or sad or screams for attention - to each his own, right? Hopefully you can find an unmarked lady and I will stick with a man who doesn't find it repulsive. Everybody wins!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Wow. A lot of narrow minded know it alls in this thread...

It aint a proper narrow minded know it all thread until I weigh in but what are you doing here? They need your attendance in the forum Hotheads thread.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MsMcGillicuddy
(i'd regret it if I'd gotten a lower back tattoo)

Us judgemental types call them tramp stamps.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
It aint a proper narrow minded know it all thread until I weigh in but what are you doing here? They need your attendance in the forum Hotheads thread.

Lol. Tool.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Us judgemental types call them tramp stamps.

Yeah. I've also heard Ho Tag and Panama City License Plate. I generally call them tramp stamps as well, but at least one of my friends has one, so I've had to retrain myself away from it.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sectors of society in which tattoos are ubiquitous:

Appreciation stars
strippers
convicts
gang-members
rockers
bikers
military (?)

sectors of society in which tattoos are less common:

graduate students
nobel laureates
royalty

please add to the list.

this was not a thread meant to bash tattoos in general, but only to say that they are objectively inelegant, and as such, not befitting a beautiful woman with an otherwise elegant appearance.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
this was not a thread meant to bash tattoos in general, but only to say that they are objectively inelegant, and as such, not befitting a beautiful woman with an otherwise elegant appearance.

They may not be befitting, but that dichotomy can sometimes be interestingly transcended.

Rarely, but sometimes.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Very attractive girl I knew has this one, which in my mind, is basically as good as it gets.
la.jpg

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
^ Great pic, cool looking, but I don't understand it at all. Could you please explain?
Originally Posted by e.e. cummings
1(a le af fa ll s) one l iness
It is an ee cummings poem, often called (though not actually titled) "A Leaf Falls on Loneliness". Brief explanation, the word loneliness is broken up into various parts evoking "one" (the l's are on separate lines and look like 1's, "one" is on a separate line, as is "iness"). It is presented in such a way as to represent the path of a single leaf falling from a tree and spiraling to the ground, visually and also syntactically (through the alternation of consonants and vowels). The poem as a whole also loosely resembles a number 1, hence it is similar to a concrete poem. The word is divided (division being a key point of the poem) by the phrase "a leaf falls", the image mirroring the visual structure of the poem: a leaf falling being an image of loneliness itself, and also division. A simple idea expressed succinctly and in a few different ways.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

Well clearly it's not "objectively inelegant;" otherwise the entire thread would be a bunch of people quoting you with a +1.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynno