• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be fine in the end, but it's going to require some serious planning. A few may come and go, but I'm pretty sure the bulk are planning on a long and raging session.

People will bring beer / wine / ice / etc (our friends drink heavily), but city living means people dont have big ass Coleman coolers in the garage. We'll line some plastic crates with plastic bags and fill with ice I guess.

We havent been asking people to bring stuff, because frequently in English barbeques people show up with a half frozen pack of chicken legs or a bunch of ground meat, but no burger buns. If you want people fed right, you gotta do it yourself.

Menu so far

Burgers
Chili cheese dogs
Grilled chicken legs & thighs
Grilled sausages
**** ton of ribs (oven so made ahead of time)
Pulled pork (oven so made ahead of time)
Plus whatever side stuff.

Annoying stuff will be; dealing with neighbors, keeping people out of the food preperation operations, keeping drunks from falling out the window.

In a beer haze we also came up with a dumbass idea which leads to my next post...

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For above party we have idiodically made it "costumes encouraged".

It's an Independance Day theme on the 4th (I'm American, living in London).

Any ideas for a costume I can put together, keeping in mind that I need to cook, it will be hot as balls and I need to wear it all day, and I need to source it in London by Saturday?

Damn this **** is going to rock!!

K

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
For above party we have idiodically made it "costumes encouraged".

It's an Independance Day theme on the 4th (I'm American, living in London).

Any ideas for a costume I can put together, keeping in mind that I need to cook, it will be hot as balls and I need to wear it all day, and I need to source it in London by Saturday?

Damn this **** is going to rock!!

K

Dress up as this guy
moranse.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you source a full mullet in London by Saturday?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummmm ok, so we are having a BBQ / party this saturday and figuring that not everyone would be free / people would be out of town / etc... we invited around 30 people to our small London apartment. I thought maybe 15-20 would show up.

Somehow we now have 34 people coming. Our apartment is not big enough to have 34 people. My BBQ is not big enough to cook for 34 people. My fridge cannot hold enough food for 34 people. I dont know where to keep enough beer & wine cold for 34 people.

I am really starting to **** a brick over this.

WTF were we thinking?

K

Your bathtub and 20kg of ice will solve the beer/wine issue. You'd be surprised how much food you can cook on a grill in the span of 1-2hrs. Not everyone will eat at the same time though, which is fine. Don't worry, you'll be fine - enjoy!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any ideas for a costume I can put together, keeping in mind that I need to cook, it will be hot as balls and I need to wear it all day, and I need to source it in London by Saturday? K
Toga. Simple, lightweight, and airy. Plus, when you inevitably get yourself dirty, you can say it was from living your life of debauch bacchanalia. Post pics after party

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Dress up as this guy

Originally Posted by gdl203
Can you source a full mullet in London by Saturday?

I'm leaning that way. I have a stars & stripes bandana from last year and a cheap ass looking budweiser t-shirt. Pair it with faded torn up Levis and I'm almost there.

Will see if I can find a mullet wig, although we are currently having ~90 degree days and that wig is going to get silly hot. Maybe a fake mustache?

Alternatively I'm going to wear a red t-shirt, white ribbon belt, and rolled up blue linen trousers with white chucks. Not really a costume, but it's in line with the theme.

Originally Posted by EL72
Your bathtub and 20kg of ice will solve the beer/wine issue. You'd be surprised how much food you can cook on a grill in the span of 1-2hrs. Not everyone will eat at the same time though, which is fine. Don't worry, you'll be fine - enjoy!

Ya, it will be fine. I'm going to do the pulled pork and ribs in the oven, so they wont take up grill space and will be finished ahead of time.

Pulling off something like this is all about preparation. Chicken pieces are getting marinated the day before and bagged in grill size quantities to be easily grabbed from the fridge and thrown on the grill. Layers of burgers will be made and stacked in the fridge between layers of greaseproof paper. etc, etc...

Originally Posted by Rambo
Toga. Simple, lightweight, and airy. Plus, when you inevitably get yourself dirty, you can say it was from living your life of debauch bacchanalia.

Post pics after party

Toga would be comfortable, but not very Independance Day... Maybe frat party-ish...

Is it PC to go as an Indian (feather not dot)

K

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly my advice to you would to do less items and focus on doing them well. You'll be cooking so many different proteins and it's likely that unless you have a bit of experience that you might ******* up. I'm guessing the thighs are bone-in?

In any case, good idea on prepping most of it.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, I like variety and the only addition to the menu this year is the pulled pork which can be pulled that morning and kept warm. Chili also gets made the day before, and ribs get slow cooked starting in the morning so they are easy to handle while the party is in swing.

It's more of a grazing throughout the day, so hot dogs get thrown on and people assemble their own chili cheese dogs.

Little later, burgers come out (pre-stacked in sheet pans) and get thrown on the grill.

Then bone in chicken legs & thighs (brined and scored so they cook quick / evenly)

Sausages are easy.

I've run more complex days, before. Biggest issue here is space and # of people. It's going to be tricky keeping all the food and drinks organized and cold.

K

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for planning my 4th BBQ for me. I'm stealing your menu.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Thanks for planning my 4th BBQ for me. I'm stealing your menu.

You're welcome to come over to London. One more person won't hurt anything at this point.

K

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome to come over to London. One more person won't hurt anything at this point.

K

now im pissed off that i have other obligations, the ticket and hotel would have been seriously easy
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member