• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minnesotamoon
That's my thought as well, just don't know if it will leave markings where the stitching used to be. Only one way to find out......

I bought the white AE jeans from the white jeans thread and they were basically untouched other than some fake-distressed back pocket stitching. I just went at it with an exacto knife and its gone...it shows right away but after some wear or a wash it should be invisible...it takes a little bit of time to do a good job of it but considering how much cheaper they were than other options...

Transcendental

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minnesotamoon
That's my thought as well, just don't know if it will leave markings where the stitching used to be. Only one way to find out......

since the 501s shrink so much, you can rip the stitching, and after a soak the tiny marks will disappear

sayocean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Yeah, I am sort of worried about that...there weren't a lot of sizes available. There is still some room at the waist and people in this thread have been saying that they stretch back a lot to the point where some of the recomendations actually said true to size.

I am a little worried about the length (since I would rather have just bought too long and hemmed) but there is a ton of extra there...I don't like my jeans to be dragging on the floor and when I cuffed almost 4" they felt ok...so I am leaning towards keeping them.

Any other advice? Teger want to chime in(your advice worked for the last pair)?

Heres my experience. Bought a pair of size 29s. They measured 30.5 inches in the waist PRE soak (Blue in Green method), and after a 2 hour or so HOT soak from the tap, they shrunk 1.5 inches to measure 29. After wearing them for 59 days total (thats an exact number) they have stretched back out to 30.5 inches. I could have EASILY sized down to 28, it wouldve been tight for the first few weeks but would have stretched to perfection. The 29s fit me good now but its a more relaxed fit. Judging from your picture, it looks like you got the correct size.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to hot soak my first pair of 501's in who knows how long!

I've decided to do the soak in a large tub instead of my bathtub (why risk thrashing my bathtub?). I found a large plastic tub for $5 which should do the trick.

This may sound like an odd question: should I cover the tub?!? That will keep the hot water hot. Or, should I just let the water cool off gradually instead with it's lid off...

acarlton

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Khaki Rigid in tall sizes. 34-36 waist and 36-38 length. Anyone know where to find online or in the DC area?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think you will ruin your bathtub (unless its a ****** bathtub).

As for keeping it covered, don't bother. If you are using a lot of hot water, it is going to stay hot for a good while...worked fine in an uncovered bath tub for the khaki ones above.

One think I was thinking though...for people worried about color loss, does using less water make sense? If you lay the pants flat in a tub and add only enough water to cover, will the dye saturate the water faster and get to the point where the water can't take any more blue, thus forcing it to stay in the fabric?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Call and ask?

Honestly why are there so many people asking questions like this when a phone call to the store could get you current stock, sizing, and stock at other stores?

Not to sound harsh...I do the same thing and the Macys is closed now so you can't call but for something like pants that come in so many sizes...I wouldn't trust someone on the forum who was there a few days ago to say that they had a size that would work.

allcapitan

Reaction score
Cool, I've also heard it doesn't matter if you fold up your jeans and just soak 'em in a big old tub. I hope that's right, because that's exactly what I'm planning to do!

Anyone else try the smaller tub rather than the bathtub method?

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Call and ask?

Honestly why are there so many people asking questions like this when a phone call to the store could get you current stock, sizing, and stock at other stores?

Not to sound harsh...I do the same thing and the Macys is closed now so you can't call but for something like pants that come in so many sizes...I wouldn't trust someone on the forum who was there a few days ago to say that they had a size that would work.

seriously. just call a levi's store and they'll give you a location or direct you to a store that can ship it to you.

user7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Call and ask?

I've never tried it with Macy's, but from my experiences with places as large and hectic as Macy's....I'd be stunned to get a reliable answer. I'd be stunned to even be able to get to someone working in the Levi's part of the store.

However thanks to a poster here I knew they had it a week ago, so I knew it was at least worth taking a trip to check. Jeez....Is this not the whole point of these boards?

If anyone else is wondering, they had 2 pairs of 34x34, the rest of the sizes have inseams of 32 or less. I decided to pass.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by user7
If anyone else is wondering, they had 2 pairs of 34x34, the rest of the sizes have inseams of 32 or less. I decided to pass.

I hate this ****. The sizes they have in stock at stores are for short/fat men. Eh, I guess that's about par for the course for Macy's middle-aged clientele.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
You guys are lucky..
jeans with a 30" inseam is like a built in pair of socks for me.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I found it odd that there were so many short-inseam STFs. Even in the normal colors I don't remember seeing much over 34.

Maybe their buyers don't have any idea what STF jean are?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt