1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levis 501 new fit

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by intelintel37, Nov 19, 2008.

1. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

I haven't really worn the jeans since the soak. They're just too long even post soak, so I'll probably have to get them hemmed before I can wear them. They're also too tight in the waist, sigh.

The waist is supposed to stretch back out quite a bit, at least an inch and maybe more.

2. otc

otc Senior member

FYI: mine are khaki...they may respond differently than indigo

I bought mine in a 34 with a little space but definately not a lot (limited sizes available too but a 36 would have been toooo big). You can see the picture on page 11 of the thread.

They shrank to tightness, especially if I try to pull them down a bit. So far they have felt pretty resistant to stretching after some real wear. I'm sure they have stretched some (and the knees definately have) but I don't see them heading back to unshrunk size anytime soon.

They will probably get there eventually on their own but since these are khaki they will show dirt faster and they will get washed (not like there is any risk of losing indigo)

3. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

If I'm a 32x32 in most pants/jeans would I want to get 33x34 or 33x36 in 501 indigo rigid STF?

4. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

And stretching back out didn't account for the total amount of the original shrinkage? Like it shrank 2 inches, but only stretched out a total of .5-1 inch (or whatever) with wear? I just don't want another pair of jeans that "almost" fit.
    STFs are capable of stretching out as much as they shrink, and possibly even more. That said, the tighter they are after shrinking, the more they'll stretch, obviously. I took mine true to size, and they fit very snug after shrink+stretch, although I'm happy with them. I could've just as easily gone one size up, but I didn't, partially because I couldn't find that size at the time.
    If I'm a 32x32 in most pants/jeans would I want to get 33x34 or 33x36 in 501 indigo rigid STF?
    STFs will typically shrink 2-3" in length, approaching 3" with multiple washes. If you absolutely need at least a 32" inseam, you should probably go with 36" (in which case they'd most likely end up 33"+), but if you don't mind that it might shrink a little more, 34" would be fine.

5. blackdarkeye

blackdarkeye Senior member

remember STF stands for stretch to fit.

6. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Senior member

I have a pair of these. The way I sized for the fit I have now (which I absolutely love; it's slim but not skinny) was i picked out a waist that i could barely button and an inseam +4. i jumped in a hot tub for a half hour with them on; reheated the water and stayed in there for another half hour.

they've seemed to stretch out considerably in the waist, giving me about 1.5 inches of space.

7. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

remember STF stands for stretch to fit.
    Er, no, it stands for shrink-to-fit.

8. blackdarkeye

blackdarkeye Senior member

Er, no, it stands for shrink-to-fit.

lol i know, but people are way too worried about the shrinking,without considering the fact that these jeans stretch more than they shrink.

9. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ Point taken, that's true.

10. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

OK, I measured up a pair of 32X32 blacks. Yeah, I like black. They are more like 33 in the waist and 31 inseam. I want minimum shrinkage. One inch or so in the inseam. I know from experience 2" is typical with hot soaks. I will go with a cold soak. If I cold soak in the future, can I keep the 1" of shrinkage I am anticipating, or will even cold soaking lead inevitably to 2" of shrinkage?

11. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I doubt you're going to be able to get only 1" of inseam shrinkage. I got 2" with a 10-minute warm soak, for what it's worth. I really don't think the temperature of the water makes as big a difference as some people believe.

12. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

10 minutes? Ouch. I stand corrected! edit: Wait! You said warm soak! I still have a chance! Man, STF's are finicky. I just may buy sanforized from now on.
    ^ At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I doubt you're going to be able to get only 1" of inseam shrinkage. I got 2" with a 10-minute warm soak, for what it's worth. I really don't think the temperature of the water makes as big a difference as some people believe.

13. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

OK, I'm in a weird conundrum. The 32" waist STF's are too big, and the 31" waist STF's are too small.

I have already warm soaked the 32" STF's for two hours. Since they are still a bit too big, will another 2 hour warm soak shrink them down even further still? Should I anticipate 1" shrinkage per hour of warm soak the second time around?

14. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ Don't count on them to shrink much more. How long did you wear the 31s? They'll easily stretch an inch or more after a few wears. It's pretty much impossible to be in between sizes if you take that into account.

15. BOF

BOF Senior member

It is possible to be between the two sized you purchased though, depending on how they measure. In the 501 contest at mynudies, we've seen sizing anywhere from 1" below tagged to 2" above.

16. opusX

opusX Active Member

in my experience these stretch quite a bit in the top block... my 501's were uncomfortably tight (thou i could still button them up) after a boiling hot soak.

the legs shrunk to a beautiful slim fit for me and after maybe 2 weeks constant wear the waist and top block streched to accomodate my build.

i would say go for the 31's. do a HOT soak... two hours seems to be just right. then while they are wet pull on the waist as hard as you can. wear them for 2 weeks and you'll have a good fit. or you could carefully soak the entire jean EXCEPT the waist.

hope that helps.

17. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The 32" 501's fit weird for me. It's fine in the waist, actually a little loose, and the rear end just balloons out in a very assymetrical weird way. I think as they wear in and soften up, it won't be an issue, but right now, the cardboard like stiffness makes the cut look strange.

18. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

OK, so I've now shrunk two pair of 501's in 31" and 32" waist sizes. Quite frankly, after the soak, both are a bit too loose through the leg and above, basically all the way through. In order to get a fitted pair, you'd have to get a strangulation size through the waist and suffer hoping it will stretch out.

To get the fit I would want through the legs, I would have to get a size 30" waist, which would be too tight, since a 31" is already too tight. And the 32" are WAY too big.

Nonetheless, I still like my 501's. The 31" will be my more fitted sleeker pair, the 32" will be the slouchy digs.

19. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ Can you fit into a 30 pre-soak? If so, just wear them into the bath and they won't shrink below your actual waist.

20. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

Ah, the lengths we go to...lol. Sounds good, man. I didn't actually want to resort to that tried and true method, but I may have to. :)