• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ready for summer

victorids

Reaction score
Hello there,

I haven't buy a Levi's 501 for ages, actually I didn't even know there are 2 types (Original Fit and Shrink to Fit), so I have some questions before I buy a new pair.

I already understand the concept of STF but what Original Fit do? Does it means pre-washed?
I'm curious about the "new Fit" with the Tag 501 inside. Is the Tag on both Original Fit and STF?
If I buy on Levis.com do I guarantee get the New Fit?

I looked at this thread post, most of the ppl prefers STF why? I myself hate jeans when they are very tight on the legs.. it's very hard to wear and doesn't feel comfortable (tight your legs like a second skin), so I prefer then little loose.

My last question, are the premium, vintage (ie, not regular) 501 Shrink-to-Fit or Original Fit?
I asked a seller about the 1966 version (with the 1966 Tag inside) and he told me the jeans is pre-washed???

Thank you very much,
Victor

wellworn501s

Reaction score
In short I don't like them anymore. 36 years of wearing 501's. Levi's was the company I could always count on, until now.

I just bought a new pair this month. Totally different from pre 13. Way big and loose fitting. Low.... crotch, screws up inseam measurements. Pockets 1.25" lower, pant hem looks weak and delicate. Less that half the size of the pre 13's. .20" down from .55" Money saving? That department has already received their bonus for that move.
I've been wearing Levi's since the 60's, 501's since 78. The 03 and 08 were changes I could wash/shrink out or buy another size. Pockets and hem size I can't fix.

I wish Levi's received feedback as fast as communication company do. They would have notice this problem within 15 seconds of making it. All I get from customer service is "If there is a wear issue send them back" "We keep our product numbers the same so we don't know what's pre 13 or after." I'll let our product designers know your thoughts".

Now I'm looking for a replacement jean and babying my older pairs.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In short I don't like them anymore. 36 years of wearing 501's. Levi's was the company I could always count on, until now.

I just bought a new pair this month. Totally different from pre 13. Way big and loose fitting. Low.... crotch, screws up inseam measurements. Pockets 1.25" lower, pant hem looks weak and delicate. Less that half the size of the pre 13's. .20" down from .55" Money saving? That department has already received their bonus for that move.
I've been wearing Levi's since the 60's, 501's since 78. The 03 and 08 were changes I could wash/shrink out or buy another size. Pockets and hem size I can't fix.

I wish Levi's received feedback as fast as communication company do. They would have notice this problem within 15 seconds of making it. All I get from customer service is "If there is a wear issue send them back" "We keep our product numbers the same so we don't know what's pre 13 or after." I'll let our product designers know your thoughts".

hey wellworn, agree the newer style 501, 505's are not what we grew up with. However, the 505's and I assume 501's have 2 models out there. "sits at waist" older style and "sit below waist" which is probably what you picked up. I did the same thing a few years ago and went searching at stores and found older cut "sits at wait" and feel they are closer or are what I wore....... forever. You can also look at the LVC series and they are the older cuts you are used to. Please note, the LVC are truer to size versus the kind at Macy's JCP and sears have. For instance I wear a 36 in LVC and a 34 in the off the rack kind at the department stores. Hope this helps

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought a new pair this month. Totally different from pre 13. Way big and loose fitting. Low.... crotch, screws up inseam measurements.  Pockets 1.25" lower, pant hem looks weak and delicate. Less that half the size of the pre 13's. .20" down from .55" Money saving?  That department has already received their bonus for that move.

They destroyed the Levi's 510 Skinny Jeans. It's no longer a skinny fit. It's slim/baggy with a huge ass diarrhea drop crotch. I wrote a review last week telling them if they ever plan to really make a skinny jean model. They still haven''t publish my review. :lol: I'm one of the top 50 review contributors at Levi's.com.

But the most baffling of them all is Levi's selling a pair of 510 Skinny Jeans called "Palm Springs". Price tag? $128! It's 87% Cotton 12% Polyester (Levi's site falsely advertises them as 99% cotton). The most crappiest paper thin jean material I ever felt on my legs absolute GARBAGE. For $128 one can grab a pair of some decent raw Selvedge. This clearly is a Levi's scam.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

They destroyed the Levi's 510 Skinny Jeans. It's no longer a skinny fit. It's slim/baggy with a huge ass diarrhea drop crotch. I wrote a review last week telling them if they ever plan to really make a skinny jean model. They still haven''t publish my review. :lol: I'm one of the top 50 review contributors at Levi's.com.

But the most baffling of them all is Levi's selling a pair of 510 Skinny Jeans called "Palm Springs". Price tag? $128! It's 87% Cotton 12% Polyester (Levi's site falsely advertises them as 99% cotton). The most crappiest paper thin jean material I ever felt on my legs absolute GARBAGE. For $128 one can grab a pair of some decent raw Selvedge. This clearly is a Levi's scam.

Good job you've got a nice collection Snoopy!
1f431.png

Beane

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am curious about this new fit, I havent buy a 501 in years, for non selvedge I prefer Nudie now at days. But a new 501 could be something to consider, specially for affordability

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads