• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-End Watch Knock-offs

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I am concern knock-off Rolex is much better than a real one and carries wonderfull irony on countless levels.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
+100,000
For some reason the Russian and mainland Chinese nouveau riche keep coming to mind.

They are wearing Patek and Breguet, rolex are for Guidos from Jersey.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
whats wrong with being a guido from NJ who likes rolexes?

anyways, One poster mentioned luxury items depreciate. Tell that to all of the owners of a Stainless Steel Daytona, or Red Letter Submariner.

If you are a smart buyer, and buy from a Pre-owned watch from a reputable jeweler and keep it in good shape, you may break even in a few years of owning. I'm certain you can get some amazing deals on Pre-owned Rolexes right now. The pre-owned prices fluctuate more with demand, with some regard to the retail pricing of a new version of the same watch.

If you buy from a place like Hamilton Jewelers, they send the watch to rolex for a tune up and inspection prior to re-selling, that alone costs nearly $1000, but you can be sure your watch is made with Rolex OEM parts and is working correctly.

Rolexes arent a bad watch to own, but you need to know what the **** you're doing, dont just take a stroll into the local pawn shop and think you're gonna make a killer buy.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zenith
If you are buying a watch for people to think you have money/ class/ status/ or whatever, then you might as well buy a fake. What's the difference? It's all for appearances anyway.

+100

mockingboy

Reaction score
Why buy a Jaguar car when a Honda Civic is much more reliabile? For some, part of it is ego, for others part of it is brand name, and for some it is the appreciation of craftmanship.

I own a few very nice watches, and I can tell the difference between "High-end Fakes" and real ones for the brands you named.

I buy them because I enjoy the quality and workmanship that goes into them.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
Your argument only holds true for posers like yourself. Your list of pros is not seen as a good thing for those that actually appreciate timepieces.
You should really stop being so closed minded. Maybe a few collectors buy high end watches for the sake of appreciating them, but do you really deny that even people with a lot of money use high end watches/cars/clothing as an advantage in their career? It doesn't make them posers it is just something smart to do.
Originally Posted by huy
And what effects are these? Do you think people will actually think you're cooler if you have an expensive watch? This is not a reason to get a high-end watch
Cooler is not really the right word for it, but it has the effect you want it to have.
Originally Posted by huy
All luxury items depreciate rapidly, that is just their nature. One does not buy a watch as an investment. Watches in these price range are not known to the masses. No one will even recognize if you have on a A. Lange & Sohne or Vacheron Constantine. Stick to your fake Rolex and Panerai to get all the girls.
That is true. Non Rolex/Paneri still provide a sophisticated look even when people don't know the brand name.
Originally Posted by huy
This is only a problem for poor wannabes like you.
What exactly am I a wannabe of? Owning a Rolex? I probably would not buy areal one even if I had the money because it makes almost no sense to do so unless you don't need a mortgage/to save for it and I'm sure most people here can spend 15k without worrying about it.
Originally Posted by huy
It is not a smart move putting your money into a fake product when it will die early and will not give you any enjoyment. There are no benefits to owning a fake.
The 100$ investment is negligible considering the alternative. Yes it will only last a few years but even a real Rolex are you really going to keep it for 25+ years?
Originally Posted by huy
Maybe one day you will mature and see that you don't have to show off your fake watch to have friends. Maybe one day you will have enough money to buy a nice watch, but please don't. Please save it for someone who will appreciate it.
At least I am mature enough to open my mind and retain objectivity in an argument, and not use Ad hominem in my every other sentence. Owning a watch has nothing to do with having friends, and even when I have the money to buy a very expansive watch it will come down to personal stance, not maturity level. Seeing as you really can't contradict any of my arguments I take it you are so passionate about real watches, and so against replicas that you are going to ignore any logic even for the sake of an argument and sing the same old song as anybody who does not think alike is immature, a poser and a wannabe.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are false teeth equally bad?

- B

Depends. Are they English?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Also I should mention that I'm Russian and where I come from only suckers pay retail. A bottle of vodka really gets you anything as long as your uncle's brother's sister works there.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not paying retail is not the same as buying a fake. No matter how you phrase it buying a fake rolex is trying to show people that you have wealth, which you do not actualy have, which is pathetic and is no different from low class people covering themselves with gucci and louis vuiton logos. I have seen my fair share of fake watches and after owning a rolex I would never even consider buying a fake. Not realy related to the question, but your uncle's brother's sister is a pretty long winded way of saying your aunt.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
You should really stop being so closed minded. Maybe a few collectors buy high end watches for the sake of appreciating them, but do you really deny that even people with a lot of money use high end watches/cars/clothing as an advantage in their career? It doesn't make them posers it is just something smart to do.

You don't get it. You are not one of those rich people that can buy those high-end brands. You are trying to buy a fake item so it seems like you have the status which makes you a poser. When rich people do it, it's them flaunting their wealth, they are not trying to pose as something else.

What exactly am I a wannabe of? Owning a Rolex? I probably would not buy areal one even if I had the money because it makes almost no sense to do so unless you don't need a mortgage/to save for it and I'm sure most people here can spend 15k without worrying about it.

Status.

The 100$ investment is negligible considering the alternative. Yes it will only last a few years but even a real Rolex are you really going to keep it for 25+ years?

It is still wasting money on something you bought just to show off fake status.

Yes, we buy things of quality so that they will last.

At least I am mature enough to open my mind and retain objectivity in an argument, and not use Ad hominem in my every other sentence. Owning a watch has nothing to do with having friends, and even when I have the money to buy a very expansive watch it will come down to personal stance, not maturity level.

Seeing as you really can't contradict any of my arguments I take it you are so passionate about real watches, and so against replicas that you are going to ignore any logic even for the sake of an argument and sing the same old song as anybody who does not think alike is immature, a poser and a wannabe.

Your argument does not work for me no matter how much logic you put into it because the whole premise is wrong. I do not see watch as a tool for people to notice me, I like my watches to be discreet. I appreciate the craftsmanship in a fine timepiece and will not settle for fake. I buy watches for myself and only myself. This is why your list of pros doesn't mean anything for me.

It is very immature to use items to show off, especially when those items aren't even real. Not even having the real items but wanting its status makes you a poser.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I should mention that I'm Russian and where I come from only suckers pay retail. A bottle of vodka really gets you anything as long as your uncle's brother's sister works there.
A society of alcoholic, shortcut-taking, people who want to appear richer than they actually are?

Nice. Must be a great place to live.
eh.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
A society of alcoholic, shortcut-taking, people who want to appear richer than they actually are?

Nice. Must be a great place to live.
eh.gif

Oh, it is, my friend, it is.

031021-016..jpg

- B

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Oh, it is, my friend, it is.
lol8[1].gif

likeitaloud fails to grasp the logical conclusion of his argument - that if everyone can get a 'high quality' replica of XYZ fancy brand watch, then the reasons he is putting forward for wearing XYZ fancy brand watch ('coolness'/visual appeal/cachet/status/image/etc) will disappear.

What's interesting is that, in a seperate thread here, he also wants to apply specifically to an Ivy League grad school. Seems like a contradiction to me.

If I offered him a course in an el cheapo college that attempted to mimic an Ivy League education, would he go for it? Why not save the $$$, and then fake an Ivy cert? You'll save a lot, not pay 'retail', and yet appear to have had a 'real' Ivy education to everyone else! Sure the quality (or perceived quality) of the education you receive won't be so good, but hey, when you get found out, you can just get another cert printed up for cheap! And think of the money you save! And the people you'll impress!

So obviously, the fact that the experience is 'real' and 'exclusive' matters, whether likeitaloud wants to admit it or not.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmatt3