• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-End Watch Knock-offs

effang

Reaction score
seriously, get a real job!

i dunno. it's not a big deal. even when i only made 45k a year, i could still afford a nice IWC.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effang

i dunno. it's not a big deal. even when i only made 45k a year, i could still afford a nice IWC.

Did you have a mortgage?
smile.gif

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effang

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Did you have mortgages, 3 kids, wife, parents....and last but in no way least....SF????
smile.gif

Fixed.

Regards.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See...perspective.

I agree that certain folks could pull off a fake & not get a second look whereas others will raise suspicion even after their item was authenticated. It's just the way we are.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Want a sure fire way of telling if a watch is real, look at the person wearing it. This will work 90% of the time.

Huh? Most Rolex owners I know dress like ****.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
So it follows that really it doesn't matter whether or not the Rolex is real, perception of you wearing one would solely be based on other articles of your clothing.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can hardly tell real from fakes, even when I look closely at them (which is rude), so I am hardly ever impressed by what a person wears on his wrist. Polished shoes and good manners are far more important.

One thing that strikes me is that almost all connoisseurs of exquisite time pieces wear them discreetly or just place them in showcase boxes or winders to collect. If you see someone intently wearing an expensive watch prominently, he's either an attention seeker, or he has got a fake watch. Also, rags to riches people tend to buy expensive blings to show that they've arrived. Rolex is a huge favorite with this group whose their social status/ cultivation don't quite match up to their wealth.

neyus

Reaction score
They are all made in the same factory anyway. Both the knock offs and the fakes. Its all profit then.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
+100,000
For some reason the Russian and mainland Chinese nouveau riche keep coming to mind.

That's also becasue Rolex has a hugh marketing spend targeting exactly the same groups.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I will argue that owning a fake high end watch is better than the real one: Pros:
  • The fake has precisely the same effect on everyone but yourself if you don't disclose its authenticity.
  • You don't have to sink 6k-20k into a an object that devalues at astonishing speed and has a terrible resale value.
  • You don't have to worry about it being damaged or stolen, no stress.
  • You are free to buy another model when you want something new for a change.
  • You can own multiple watches for different occasions without being confined to one or two that already cost a lot of money.
  • You can get all the benefits of owning a high end watch while acually making a smart move with your money.
Cons:
  • You will know it's fake and some people will be bothered by that fact (copyright stance, feeling cheap, whatever)
  • Not as much reliability and shorter life span.
  • Poorly picked replica might be unusable (however it is the fault of a buyer in my opinion)
Anybody wish to add to that list? I know it's not illegal to own a replica watch at least in NA, but from browsing the forum I have not seen any more plausible cons.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
I will argue that owning a fake high end watch is better than the real one:

Your argument only holds true for posers like yourself. Your list of pros is not seen as a good thing for those that actually appreciate timepieces.

The fake has precisely the same effect on everyone but yourself if you don't disclose its authenticity.

And what effects are these? Do you think people will actually think you're cooler if you have an expensive watch? This is not a reason to get a high-end watch

You don't have to sink 6k-20k into a an object that devalues at astonishing speed and has a terrible resale value.

All luxury items depreciate rapidly, that is just their nature. One does not buy a watch as an investment.

Watches in these price range are not known to the masses. No one will even recognize if you have on a A. Lange & Sohne or Vacheron Constantine. Stick to your fake Rolex and Panerai to get all the girls.

You are free to buy another model when you want something new for a change.

You can own multiple watches for different occasions without being confined to one or two that already cost a lot of money.

This is only a problem for poor wannabes like you.

You can get all the benefits of owning a high end watch while acually making a smart move with your money.

It is not a smart move putting your money into a fake product when it will die early and will not give you any enjoyment. There are no benefits to owning a fake.

Maybe one day you will mature and see that you don't have to show off your fake watch to have friends. Maybe one day you will have enough money to buy a nice watch, but please don't. Please save it for someone who will appreciate it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I will argue that owning a fake high end watch is better than the real one:

Pros:
  • The fake has precisely the same effect on everyone but yourself if you don't disclose its authenticity.

• You don't have to sink 6k-20k into a an object that devalues at astonishing speed and has a terrible resale value.

• You don't have to worry about it being damaged or stolen, no stress.

• You are free to buy another model when you want something new for a change.

• You can own multiple watches for different occasions without being confined to one or two that already cost a lot of money.

• You can get all the benefits of owning a high end watch while acually making a smart move with your money.

Cons:

• You will know it's fake and some people will be bothered by that fact (copyright stance, feeling cheap, whatever)

• Not as much reliability and shorter life span.

• Poorly picked replica might be unusable (however it is the fault of a buyer in my opinion)

Anybody wish to add to that list? I know it's not illegal to own a replica watch at least in NA, but from browsing the forum I have not seen any more plausible cons.

Isn't the fact that you, the owner, knows its fake important anymore?

samurai

Reaction score
Wearing a fake watch is like telling a lie. Many people may believe you, but those who know will not. A lie is a lie... JMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics