• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zuckerberg's Hoodie and what your clothing says about what you think of those around you

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zuckerberg is the kind of guy who doesn't need to suit up for work. He never attempted to be stylish then, why bother now? Even his wedding attire was understated. Maybe he just didn't need to flaunt all his wealth.

Showing up to a Wall Street pre-IPO meeting in a rumpled Jos. A Bank suit that doesn't really fit (a la Buffett) is understated and not flaunting you wealth. Showing up in a hooded sweatshirt that says "**** you, I can behave however I want, I'm Mark Zuckerburg" is the exact opposite.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's an old interview with Buffet where he mentions that he wore Oxxford, but OTR.

This was after his affair with Katherine Graham, but still when he had two concurrent wives ( de jure and de facto.)

Compared to such a pillar, Zuckerberg seems pretty boring with his one new college sweetheart née wife.

rm007

Reaction score
that 's exaactly what he did -behaved like himself and dressed like himself, always the non-conformist.

Geezer

Reaction score

that 's exaactly what he did -behaved like himself and dressed like himself, always the non-conformist.

And we can tell he is a non-conformist because he dresses like all the other non-conformists?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But, stylistically speaking, there are different "myselfs". Which one presents itself depends on what I deem appropriate. If I want others in a casual environment to feel comfortable around me I'll wear jeans. If I'm going to something important I'll don a suit. If I want to say a slight "**** you" to folks I consider needlessly uptight I'll wear jeans and a sport coat when everyone else is in a suit.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suspect that's what it is. Just his brand as a young, hip guy, signalling facebook is a young hip company. It's brand control, if he dressed in a suit too much people would start to perceive them as the corporate behemoth dead set on perfecting algorithms to learn everything about and control your life they really are. As he gets older and the style starts to look awkward on him, he'll probably change it to something a little more adult, but still casual.
I don't think this is a power play, just calculated management of his (and facebook's) image, with some cultural confusion between west coast tech and east coast banking.
Exactly, this and the fact he's probably more comfortable in a hoodie. Not every business has to appear professional, my mum was disgusted when I bought some glasses from a company called "Specky Four Eyes" but if its cheap and their customer service is good who cares?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads