1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

zip front sweaters: Aye or Nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spidercan, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Yay. I love them. I wear them all the time. I have a few full zips, and wish I had more, but I think half-zips layer just fine under a sportcoat.

2. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Nay. Fok (LA Guy) loves half zips in pastel colors, but I can't do them.
    The guy wears too much pastel.
    I dont understand these kind of threads.

Unless you are asking if they are acceptable socially f you like them wear them if you dont, then dont.

I had a customer (from here) that ordered a flat front suit from me and when he got it complained that I sent him a pleated pant suit and he didnt want a pleated pant suit. Scratching my head as I thought I had sent him a flat front suit I overnighted him another one at my cost. When he got it he apologized to me because in fact the first suit didnt have pleats either. He didnt know what pleats were.

He didnt know what they were but he knew enough to know that they weren't for him. Did the flat front look good on him? Maybe yes, maybe no. All he knew was that if it was what they call pleated then it wasnt for him.

Sigh.

Wow.

3. HHD

HHD Senior member

I like them, and wear them much more regularly than v-necks or crew necks.

There's also that "long sleeved wool polo shirt worn over a shirt" thing, which is quite common here in France among off-duty city boys. It looks good, until you try to wear a jacket.

4. binge

binge Senior member

5. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I like them, and wear them much more regularly than v-necks or crew necks.

There's also that "long sleeved wool polo shirt worn over a shirt" thing, which is quite common here in France among off-duty city boys. It looks good, until you try to wear a jacket.

Pics? I'm not sure I've ever seen this, or maybe I just don't know what you're referring to.

I have yet to find the half zip I can wear under a sport coat without looking like a tool, but I love wearing them around the house on non-dressy days. Great to wear over an unbuttoned white shirt for a dressy-casual look when going out to a mid-range restaurant as well.

6. in fits of print

in fits of print Well-Known Member

No zippers on anything.

No zippers! Flies are pardoned because to do otherwise would make finding pants almost impossible. At least you can't see them...

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yay...I have dozens (mostly cashmere) in full zip, half zip and in various weights.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I always do this, but you are right that the double collars get in the way when you try and jacket up.

9. Neo1824

Neo1824 Senior member

I like them and have one that I wear for casual times...though it is more of a jacket than sweater.

On the hunt for a good button shawl version for work.

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

On occasion.

+1

[​IMG]

11. spidercan

spidercan Senior member

I like the look, keeping the collar down makes it work much better.

12. FELT

FELT Senior member

FIH, I understand what you mean. But at the same time, despite our wish for enduring style, we are still subject to trends, such as our movement away from sack suits and the your aforementioned flat front pants (for us thinner folk at least) . I merely wanted to gauge what others thought on the matter.

I don't think it's just a question of being influenced by trends (I think for most of us our judgements on style are coloured by something new seeming fresh and appealing). It's the phenomenom on here sometimes of surrendering all aesthetic judgement and letting others makes up your mind for you. For example, when someone posts a picture of two shoes and asks 'which one should I buy?'. I suppose that's ok if it's a question of which is suitable for a job interview (though are there any more dull threads?), or which maker has the better construction, but often it seems to be more like 'please tell me which one should I like?'.

13. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Pics? I'm not sure I've ever seen this, or maybe I just don't know what you're referring to.

[​IMG]

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

For home use and causal use it's practical and OK, but not for office

I concur 100%!

15. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

xposted from SWD. Love this (100% cashmere Bamford & Sons):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No zippers on anything. No metal or plastic on clothes.

So, no Aldens or collar stays?

17. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

lately I have been tiring of zippers in general. perhaps due to wearing a nicer watch, I found that every 50th or 100th time I put a zippered jacket on, it hit against and scratched my watch

Now, I can't think of purchasing outerwear with zippers. buttons all the way

18. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

definitely aye, you can wear under spots coat once a while, or just by itself (harder to work with sports coat though).

19. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Senior member

+1

[​IMG]

Is that a Blancpain Villeret on your wrist?

More on the topic, I think the half-zip, with it's high neck, is great for people with long or skinny necks. I think it adds some fullness and balance...

20. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

I like 'em. Although as mentioned, not for the office. Don't care for them under a jacket either.

EZ