• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zip front sweaters: Aye or Nay?

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
I dont understand these kind of threads.

Unless you are asking if they are acceptable socially f you like them wear them if you dont, then dont.

I had a customer (from here) that ordered a flat front suit from me and when he got it complained that I sent him a pleated pant suit and he didnt want a pleated pant suit. Scratching my head as I thought I had sent him a flat front suit I overnighted him another one at my cost. When he got it he apologized to me because in fact the first suit didnt have pleats either. He didnt know what pleats were.

He didnt know what they were but he knew enough to know that they weren't for him. Did the flat front look good on him? Maybe yes, maybe no. All he knew was that if it was what they call pleated then it wasnt for him.

Sigh.

1250939188712.gif

spidercan

Reaction score
I'm an aye, however I do fear they are becoming overdone. FIH, I understand what you mean. But at the same time, despite our wish for enduring style, we are still subject to trends, such as our movement away from sack suits and the your aforementioned flat front pants (for us thinner folk at least) . I merely wanted to gauge what others thought on the matter.

emptym

Reaction score
Yay. I have a grey full zip and a black half zip. I love the full zip and like the half zip. They're great for travel when the temperature is unpredictable and I don't want to carry around a scarf that will only be used half the time. I almost never wear them w/ ties. Maybe once every other year.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yay. I love them. I wear them all the time. I have a few full zips, and wish I had more, but I think half-zips layer just fine under a sportcoat.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nay. Fok (LA Guy) loves half zips in pastel colors, but I can't do them.
The guy wears too much pastel.
Originally Posted by FIHTies
I dont understand these kind of threads.

Unless you are asking if they are acceptable socially f you like them wear them if you dont, then dont.

I had a customer (from here) that ordered a flat front suit from me and when he got it complained that I sent him a pleated pant suit and he didnt want a pleated pant suit. Scratching my head as I thought I had sent him a flat front suit I overnighted him another one at my cost. When he got it he apologized to me because in fact the first suit didnt have pleats either. He didnt know what pleats were.

He didnt know what they were but he knew enough to know that they weren't for him. Did the flat front look good on him? Maybe yes, maybe no. All he knew was that if it was what they call pleated then it wasnt for him.

Sigh.

Wow.

HHD

Reaction score
I like them, and wear them much more regularly than v-necks or crew necks.

There's also that "long sleeved wool polo shirt worn over a shirt" thing, which is quite common here in France among off-duty city boys. It looks good, until you try to wear a jacket.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
I like them, and wear them much more regularly than v-necks or crew necks.

There's also that "long sleeved wool polo shirt worn over a shirt" thing, which is quite common here in France among off-duty city boys. It looks good, until you try to wear a jacket.

Pics? I'm not sure I've ever seen this, or maybe I just don't know what you're referring to.

I have yet to find the half zip I can wear under a sport coat without looking like a tool, but I love wearing them around the house on non-dressy days. Great to wear over an unbuttoned white shirt for a dressy-casual look when going out to a mid-range restaurant as well.

in fits of print

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
No zippers on anything.

No zippers! Flies are pardoned because to do otherwise would make finding pants almost impossible. At least you can't see them...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yay...I have dozens (mostly cashmere) in full zip, half zip and in various weights.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
I always do this, but you are right that the double collars get in the way when you try and jacket up.

Neo1824

Reaction score
I like them and have one that I wear for casual times...though it is more of a jacket than sweater.

On the hunt for a good button shawl version for work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads