• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help evaluating fit of a thrifted sports jacket

LaSape

Reaction score
Hey folks đź‘‹

Newbie here. I thrifted a navy sports jacket a few days ago. It's quite striking and I like the general look of it but unfortunately it doesn't fit perfectly. One thing that jumps out to me is the excess fabric in the front and back. Also the shoulders look somewhat uneven. I don't know if that's due to the jacket's style or if it's an indication that it's a size too big.

For context I bought the jacket for $18. I would like to integrate it into my wardrobe but if the cost of alteration is too high (>$80) it doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

What are your thoughts? Can this be salvaged or should I cut my losses?

Attachments

• front.png
    front.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 96
  • side.png
    side.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 113
  • back.png
    back.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 175

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Too short. The sleeves are too short and the jacket length is too short.

I would not bother trying an alteration in this case.

LaSape

Reaction score
sleeves longer than the quarters it's a ladies jacket

Interesting, is this a general rule?

While thrifting I've noticed that some jackets in the men's section have a more 'feminine' or 'metrosexual' silhouette but I never could articulate why.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there! Evaluating the fit of a thrifted leather or sports jacket can definitely be a bit tricky, but it's worth the effort. Start by checking the shoulders – they're a key indicator of fit. If they align well with your own shoulders, you're off to a good start. Next, take a look at the collar – it should sit comfortably without any gaps. For the length, aim for it to fall around the base of your thumb, that's a classic rule of thumb. Sleeves should reach just above your wrist, allowing a bit of shirt cuff to show. And don't forget the waist – a slight taper can give the jacket a more modern look. Remember, if it's not perfect right off the rack, a skilled tailor can work wonders. Whether it's a leather jacket or a sports jacket, good luck, and I hope that find turns out to be a fantastic addition to your wardrobe!
Attention moderator this is AI garbage.

rollerkilt

Reaction score
Is it a kilt jacket?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, is this a general rule?

While thrifting I've noticed that some jackets in the men's section have a more 'feminine' or 'metrosexual' silhouette but I never could articulate why.

somebody else suggested maybe it's a kilt jacket ? seems plausible i guess but i don't have much experience with those .

but yeah in my experience it's generally true , the quarters should cover the lap and butt and that's gonna be longer than the sleeve on men's tailored jackets .

otoh the typical womens tailoring that you see from j crew etc is often pretty suppressed at the waist and then the quarters are abbreviated , often shorter than the sleeves . but then they call it a boyfriend jacket or whatever lol .

but if you like the jacket why get hung up on that ? if you enjoy it then enjoy it !

LaSape

Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing from a random google search, it looks eerily similar to other 'kilt jackets' so that's a very good guess.

rollerkilt

Reaction score
Women's jackets don't button the men's way usually. The label should've been confirmation that it's kilt jacket, not the first sign. The first sign was short. After that it's the cuff buttons and pocket flap shape. Good deal. But now you need a kilt, and that's not cheap.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the buttoning be on the other side in that case?

usually . otoh in my experience it's more common to see women's jackets button in the men's fashion than vice versa .

Women's jackets don't button the men's way usually. The label should've been confirmation that it's kilt jacket, not the first sign. The first sign was short. After that it's the cuff buttons and pocket flap shape. Good deal. But now you need a kilt, and that's not cheap.

i have little experience with kilt rig but the shortness of the kilt jackets that goog returned has given me pause in terms of my longstanding gripes about women's tailoring .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads