• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yeah, right

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....43&rd=1 seller: balboul I have this jacket. Â It came in 2 colors. Â The chestnut color I own retailed for just under $800, the lighter color (this one,) for about $850, both at the L.A. Costume National store and at Traffic in the Beverly Center. Â This auction has the retail price as being at $1650.00. Â You be the judge. Â I like the seller's goods. Â But this type of misleading information puts him/her on my blacklist.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great looking jacket, and another seller blacklisted for me as well. Thanks for the heads up...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the big deal if a seller exaggerates retail prices so long as the buyer is not misled as to the nature of the item (e.g., that the item is from a designer's main line when it is from a diffusion line)? Â A rational individual will make a purchase only when the value of the item (which for clothing is measured by appearance, construction, and fit) to him exceeds the price paid. Â Buying an item primarily because it is heavily discounted from its retail price is just foolish, imo.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the big deal if a seller exaggerates retail prices so long as the buyer is not misled as to the nature of the item (e.g., that the item is from a designer's main line when it is from a diffusion line)? A rational individual will make a purchase only when the value of the item (which for clothing is measured by appearance, construction, and fit) to him exceeds the price paid. Buying an item primarily because it is heavily discounted from its retail price is just foolish, imo.
It may be foolish to you, but that doesn't stop everyone from doing it. Misrepresenting the original price of an item is a material misrepresentation of the value of that item, and potential buyers will assess that value in consideration of the original retail price. Thus lying about the MSRP is fraud.

AAA

Reaction score
What's the big deal if a seller exaggerates retail prices so long as the buyer is not misled as to the nature of the item
If the seller is lying about the original price, who knows what else he/she is lying about...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be foolish to you, but that doesn't stop everyone from doing it. Misrepresenting the original price of an item is a material misrepresentation of the value of that item, and potential buyers will assess that value in consideration of the original retail price. Thus lying about the MSRP is fraud.

Thanks. You articulated my thoughts exactly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really great looking casual jacket.

It looks even better in the dark chestnut color in moleskin. I've gotten tons of compliments on it, even now (after 2 years of heavy use.) This one is a lighter, brown melange moelskin that is a little less soft. The best part (was, honey, was) that girls loved to stroke it. Yes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the seller is lying about the original price, who knows what else he/she is lying about...

The retail price of a lot of his other auctions. It's just that in this particular case, I know for sure and can prove it, since I know the provenance of the item in question. I hate guys like this nearly as much as the straight up rip off artists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads