• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workout Regimen

studyscoot

Reaction score
ArteEtLabore14,

To begin, read through this: www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

It sounds like most of your goals are aligned with a strength training workout. I would suggest googling "Starting Strength" and reading through it. You can find a download for it for free easily. It will teach you how to lift.

When you go to the gym, try to stick to the compound lifts (overhead press, squat, deadlift, bench). You'll find that dead lifts can transform your core very quickly. Squats are great for your legs. Overhead press is great because it targets all of your shoulder/arm muscles, and bench emphasizes this and adds chest muscles into the bunch. You'll need all of them for best results. AVOID MACHINES! They isolate individual muscles and are largely ineffective.

I would suggest starting with a light weight to learn your form, then going for roughly 70% of your max for 5 sets of 5 reps of each exercise. Don't do all the compound lifts in one day, spread them out over the week so you can recover.

As mentioned earlier, you'll need to go on a calorie surplus to gain muscle mass. Additionally, you'll need to eat about 1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh (roughly), since protein is the main building block for your body to construct new muscle.

To loose fat, you'll need to go on a calorie deficit (eating less than you burn per day). During this phase, I would suggest swimming laps, as they accomplish your only goal that weight-lifting cannot: increased lung capacity.

Hope that helps!

bad karma

Reaction score
Start eating more. I guarantee you aren't getting enough calories to build significant amounts of muscle. Look up programs like Starting Strength/Wendler's 5/3/1, these will give you a great base and all involve heavy compound lifts. Do high intensity interval training for cardio, much more efficient than steady state.

musick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cazzzidy
I've heard a thousand times that it is impossible/difficult to add muscle while losing fat. I have never received a coherent physiological explanation for that truism...I just want to understand...

You cant gain muscle while youre in a calorie deficit and you cant lose fat while youre in a calorie surplus - its as simple as that.

If you are drug-free (and/or VERY genetically gifted), it is very, VERY rare to gain muscle and lose fat together. Its simple mathmatics.

Confucius said, "He who chases two rabbits catches neither."

Cycling programs is key - be it 1 month or 1 week at a time.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
Please never post in this forum again.

You are a complete *************.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe is a good way to start. The heavy emphasis on squats will help your lower body work early on.

At the very least it will get you comfortable with the main compound lifts, so if you want to switch programs later on you will have a good foundation to build on.

AFG34

Reaction score
I have the same goals as you: add muscle, loose the fat

There's a book called "Starting strength" by Mark Ripptoe

read it, follow the exercises

(you can find it in public trackers)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads