• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work World is Depressing

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Eh .. they do look nice. Expensive though ($750/month +electricity, furnished and shared). I can find places for way cheaper, and the 11 month lease is marsupialed.

Yeah, that's pretty pricey, you could get something a lot nicer overlooking the river valley on sask drive for comparable coin.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
Yeah, that's pretty pricey, you could get something a lot nicer overlooking the river valley on sask drive for comparable coin.
I hit up the student union housing registry .. and found a few places for like $250-350/month, all utilities included + cable/internet. At that price I don't care if my roommate is Robert Pickton, I'll manage for a year.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I hit up the student union housing registry .. and found a few places for like $250-350/month, all utilities included + cable/internet. At that price I don't care if my roommate is Robert Pickton, I'll manage for a year.

Yeah man, if you're just looking for the cheapest possible that's your best bet. I've lived in several places around campus and paid 350-500ish depending on the place, but that usually covered everything..and some of the houses I lived in were very manageable (one was a brand new duplex that was just built...quite nice).

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Win lotto, then you can go into work everyday just for a laugh.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B Hamilton
Win lotto, then you can go into work everyday just for a laugh.

Oddly enough just contributed my $5 for the weekly lotto draw group at work...come on fitty mil...if I win I'll buy everyone in this threak something nice!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Geez, all this talk about Canada and it's not even hockey season!

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
Oddly enough just contributed my $5 for the weekly lotto draw group at work...come on fitty mil...if I win I'll buy everyone in this threak something nice!

\\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
I'll take a few RLPL suits? SkinnyGoomba will tell you where to get them.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
I'll take a few RLPL suits? SkinnyGoomba will tell you where to get them.

10 is the maximum

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I just want everyone who is not aware yet that Regina, Canada is pronounced in a way that rhymes with ******. Yes, really.

I was having a pretty ****** day at work until I read this.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I start my first job out of college soon and the prospect of living to work depresses me. I don't understand how so many Americans do it. I envy some of the European countries, where they have tons more vacation time and life doesn't revolve around work.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skitlets
I start my first job out of college soon and the prospect of living to work depresses me. I don't understand how so many Americans do it. I envy some of the European countries, where they have tons more vacation time and life doesn't revolve around work.

It's even worse in Korea, alas, and in East Asia generally. Life is one long grind.

My perspective as a somewhat older guy is that even when you like what you do, it can get old because it becomes repetitive. There is a reason why we are paid to work, after all. I simply don't buy the "do what you love and the money will follow" line; many things that people love to do pay little or nothing, or constitute a "winner take all" market in which only a few talented and well-situated people actually make a living.

So: Find a kind of work you can tolerate reasonably well; change positions and/or companies every few years; and very importantly, carve out a large space outside work for your interests, civic involvements, friends, family. Do not vanish into your job as many do. If that means you do not become a Master of the Universe, accept that trade-off.

S. Paul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
So: Find a kind of work you can tolerate reasonably well; change positions and/or companies every few years; and very importantly, carve out a large space outside work for your interests, civic involvements, friends, family. Do not vanish into your job as many do. If that means you do not become a Master of the Universe, accept that trade-off.

Now that's some pretty solid advice. It's usually harder to get fired in white collar companies than you would think. Just do your job but treat it like a "work to live" situation instead.

SP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads