1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Work World is Depressing

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by 1up, Jul 28, 2010.

1. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

2. 1up

1up Senior member

Eh .. they do look nice. Expensive though ($750/month +electricity, furnished and shared). I can find places for way cheaper, and the 11 month lease is retarded.

Yeah, that's pretty pricey, you could get something a lot nicer overlooking the river valley on sask drive for comparable coin.

3. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Yeah, that's pretty pricey, you could get something a lot nicer overlooking the river valley on sask drive for comparable coin.
    I hit up the student union housing registry .. and found a few places for like $250-350/month, all utilities included + cable/internet. At that price I don't care if my roommate is Robert Pickton, I'll manage for a year.

4. 1up

1up Senior member

I hit up the student union housing registry .. and found a few places for like $250-350/month, all utilities included + cable/internet. At that price I don't care if my roommate is Robert Pickton, I'll manage for a year.

Yeah man, if you're just looking for the cheapest possible that's your best bet. I've lived in several places around campus and paid 350-500ish depending on the place, but that usually covered everything..and some of the houses I lived in were very manageable (one was a brand new duplex that was just built...quite nice).

5. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

Win lotto, then you can go into work everyday just for a laugh.

6. 1up

1up Senior member

Win lotto, then you can go into work everyday just for a laugh.

Oddly enough just contributed my $5 for the weekly lotto draw group at work...come on fitty mil...if I win I'll buy everyone in this threak something nice!

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Geez, all this talk about Canada and it's not even hockey season!

8. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Oddly enough just contributed my $5 for the weekly lotto draw group at work...come on fitty mil...if I win I'll buy everyone in this threak something nice!

\\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/ \\/

9. ektaylor

ektaylor Senior member

I'll take a few RLPL suits? SkinnyGoomba will tell you where to get them.

10. 1up

1up Senior member

I'll take a few RLPL suits? SkinnyGoomba will tell you where to get them.

10 is the maximum

11. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I just want everyone who is not aware yet that Regina, Canada is pronounced in a way that rhymes with Vagina. Yes, really.

I was having a pretty shitty day at work until I read this.

12. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I start my first job out of college soon and the prospect of living to work depresses me. I don't understand how so many Americans do it. I envy some of the European countries, where they have tons more vacation time and life doesn't revolve around work.

13. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

I start my first job out of college soon and the prospect of living to work depresses me. I don't understand how so many Americans do it. I envy some of the European countries, where they have tons more vacation time and life doesn't revolve around work.

It's even worse in Korea, alas, and in East Asia generally. Life is one long grind.

My perspective as a somewhat older guy is that even when you like what you do, it can get old because it becomes repetitive. There is a reason why we are paid to work, after all. I simply don't buy the "do what you love and the money will follow" line; many things that people love to do pay little or nothing, or constitute a "winner take all" market in which only a few talented and well-situated people actually make a living.

So: Find a kind of work you can tolerate reasonably well; change positions and/or companies every few years; and very importantly, carve out a large space outside work for your interests, civic involvements, friends, family. Do not vanish into your job as many do. If that means you do not become a Master of the Universe, accept that trade-off.

14. S. Paul

S. Paul Senior member

So: Find a kind of work you can tolerate reasonably well; change positions and/or companies every few years; and very importantly, carve out a large space outside work for your interests, civic involvements, friends, family. Do not vanish into your job as many do. If that means you do not become a Master of the Universe, accept that trade-off.

Now that's some pretty solid advice. It's usually harder to get fired in white collar companies than you would think. Just do your job but treat it like a "work to live" situation instead.

SP