• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool coat quality question

codtrawler87

Reaction score
I bought the following wool coat but in charcoal color : https://www.careofcarl.fi/fi/artiklar/morris-heritage-structured-wool-patch-pocket-coat-navy.html

It's 67% wool, 30% polyamid and 3% other fibers. The price tag was 715 euros but I bought mine for -70% so 214 euros in total. I know very little about wool coats and started wondering if the 30% polyamid content will cause the jacket to wear down really quickly. And for you wool coat connaiseurs out there, is the jacket worth the 215 euros? Do you think that with good care the coat will last for 5-10 years or more?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the following wool coat but in charcoal color : https://www.careofcarl.fi/fi/artiklar/morris-heritage-structured-wool-patch-pocket-coat-navy.html

It's 67% wool, 30% polyamid and 3% other fibers. The price tag was 715 euros but I bought mine for -70% so 214 euros in total. I know very little about wool coats and started wondering if the 30% polyamid content will cause the jacket to wear down really quickly. And for you wool coat connaiseurs out there, is the jacket worth the 215 euros? Do you think that with good care the coat will last for 5-10 years or more?

I’m not familiar with the brand, but I wouldn’t worry too much about the blend. It will add water repellency and not that uncommon with regard to outerwear. With that said, there’s much more to the quality and durability of the garment beyond just the materials.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the brand, but I wouldn’t worry too much about the blend. It will add water repellency and not that uncommon with regard to outerwear. With that said, there’s much more to the quality and durability of the garment beyond just the materials.

What he said. ^ In fact, I'd think a blend is more likely to last forever than otherwise, given that the fibres won't break down like natural fabrics. It should last a while, but the real question is whether you'll want to keep it that long.

Since you mentioned you have little experience with wool coats, I'll offer my take: I wouldn't keep it. Not because of the durability, but because the poly fabric adds nothing to the qualities of the wool, and is normally added in order to cut costs. It also won't be as warm as a 100% wool coat, and I personally don't like to buy clothes that are manufactured abroad just to save on cost - it usually indicates that corners are being cut elsewhere too.

Of course, well-made wool coats can be expensive, so this is a good deal if you cannot afford to spend too much right now. But I would set my sights on something higher in the future, if I were you.

notdos

Reaction score
I’ll give a different view point. It’s an inexpensive coat. It’s apparently within your budget. Wear it, and enjoy.
Is it premium quality? Probably not. But, not because of the polyamid.

Phillip :)

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, to qualify: the coat will be perfectly fine, especially since it was at such a discounted price. I've seen scarves that cost more.

My suggestions are mainly for if you were planning to pay full price for another in the future.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, to qualify: the coat will be perfectly fine, especially since it was at such a discounted price. I've seen scarves that cost more.

My suggestions are mainly for if you were planning to pay full price for another in the future.
I've noticed that if I buy things on sale I wouldn't have bought full price, I rarely wear them.

If, however, I've been looking at an item for a while, and THEN it goes on sale, it becomes a no brainer that I wear often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads