• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women's Shoes: How do you determine the quality of construction?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand this is predominantly a men's forum, but given the overwhelming number of shoe gurus here who have mastered the art of determining construction quality, I figured this was the best place to ask.

Does anyone know what specifically to look for when grading women's shoes in terms of quality?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
Does anyone know what specifically to look for when grading women's shoes in terms of quality?
You don't look at women's shoes for quality.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
I understand this is predominantly a men's forum, but given the overwhelming number of shoe gurus here who have mastered the art of determining construction quality, I figured this was the best place to ask.

Best to look at the tradional womens shoes that look like mens shoes. Here: http://www.plal.com/images/cj/2007-0...-25_edited.jpg

They are not as pretty as the high heal designer shoes, but they are certainly better made. They are better made because the construction is a goodyear stitched (superior to thin glued soles in pretty designer shoes), the sole is thicker and more durable, and the leather uppers will be better/more durable too.

Don't look for quality in Gucci or Jimmi Choo, those tradional womens shoes will always be better.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're giving your SO a pair, don't look for quality first, but style. That's how it is with womens shoes.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
If you're giving your SO a pair, don't look for quality first, but style. That's how it is with womens shoes.

And a glass heel...

coconut

Reaction score
I would think someone would make boots and loafers that were well made and still stylish and feminine, but I cannot think of any brands that do.

mrmax

Reaction score
The umbrella over this discussion is age. Mens shoes have a tendency to transcend age barriers. My father would wear my Jermyn II's in a heartbeat, and this fathers day will receive a pair of his own, for example.

With women, the lines are quite clearly defined. Some women (my wife included) are simply not going to be persuaded to forgoe their fashionable heels under any circumstances. Goodyear welting be damned.

So if you are shopping for a woman who has hung up her heels, so to speak, you can apply the same laws of mens shoes. The shoes look like mini versions of mens shoes anyway. Look at leather, goodyear, last shape, whatever. They even do womens cordovan at Carmina in Madrid.

However, if she is under 40 (some would even say 50) - she might want something a little more 'feminine'. The quality of Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Blahnik, etc cannot be help up to EG, Lobb. However, in the realm of womens footwear they stand out as having the best styles, materials, and construction (in that order). Its all about perspectives, IMO.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
You don't look at women's shoes for quality.
What if one is presented with two equally stylish shoes, but from different brands? Is it not possible to bring concrete analysis into the decision based on actual quality? How are the soles on the upper-tier brands such as Louboutin, Blahnik and Choo attached anyway? Are they all glued? Is there a difference in the quality of the materials used, or do all variations come down to aesthetic ones? I can understand that quality of construction is far lower on the list of things to considered. Just trying to figure out if there are any specific things I can look for when comparing two equally stylish shoes.

mrmax

Reaction score
There is no fixed methodology for construction. They will apply whatever techniques possible to achieve the desired aesthetic. This is true of all the major labels.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to notice the finishing for womens shoes. There is much gluework involved in women's shoes and there is much difference in the well-finished ones and the hastily done.

That being said, the work does not necessarily equate to how much you are paying for them.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think women's shoes are meant to be constructed as well as men's shoes. In fact, it appears they are made with a special glue that is meant to fall apart after a season of wearing forcing women to purchase a pair every season when new styles become trendy.

I think the only exception would probably be with women's boots as those can be constructed with the quality of a man's boot while still looking fashionable to a woman.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy: there are only a few brands that make well constructed women's shoes- Carmina and Gravati are two. The welting should look like a men's shoe (either Goodyear or Blake) with a more feminine last. Even then, that construction is only available in a few styles. All 'fashion' shoes are glued. That's necessary to get the ultra thin sole look.

If you want choices, go bespoke- from what I've seen, Claverly makes a nice women's shoe. The wife is waiting for G&G's women's line to come out; IIRC it'll be '09.

For penny loafers, there really is no stylistic difference between men's and women's. She likes Alden LHS's or full straps.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find a lot of relatively well-made women's shoes, I do it all the time (buying shoes for my wife long before buying shoes for myself). Just look closely over the shoe for construction quality. I usually steer away from anything with man-made materials.

Look for a great leather stacked heel. Calf uppers, the lining may be leather but the sole should definitely be leather. There should be no fraying or loose stitching anywhere on the shoe.

I have bought my wife a couple of 4-5" heels with the sole actually stitched on. Be careful if the heel is covered. If it is, make sure it's covered with the same quality leather as the uppers.

If buying strappy sandals (see avatar
drool.gif
) these, too should be all-leather. When I do my ebay search for her shoes I include the string, -man, -faux, -patent, -synthetic.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I have bought my wife a couple of 4-5" heels with the sole actually stitched on.

What brand is that?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Circa Joan & David, they also came with nice dust bags. Also a pair of Tommy Bahama calf loafers with leather sole stitched on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics