• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women's Shoes: How do you determine the quality of construction?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
You don't look at women's shoes for quality.

+111111

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harry Lean
Best to look at the tradional womens shoes that look like mens shoes. Here: http://www.plal.com/images/cj/2007-0...-25_edited.jpg

They are not as pretty as the high heal designer shoes, but they are certainly better made. They are better made because the construction is a goodyear stitched (superior to thin glued soles in pretty designer shoes), the sole is thicker and more durable, and the leather uppers will be better/more durable too.

Don't look for quality in Gucci or Jimmi Choo, those tradional womens shoes will always be better.

Yes, look for those C&Js when you want a divorce...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
All 'fashion' shoes are glued. That's necessary to get the ultra thin sole look.

This is the heart of the matter, and why most fashionable women's shoes are made of crap and assembled like crap. When it comes to fashionable shoes, there just aren't any that are well made, at least not by men's shoe standards. Maybe because of this there should be a different set of standards.

But also recall that women tend to wear each pair less often during a given month and for a shorter period of time than men. Women also seem content to live with the fact that sometimes their shoes are simply going to blow out, even expensive ones.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Women also seem content to live with the fact that sometimes their shoes are simply going to blow out, even expensive ones.

Wife=>
censored.gif

She, at least doesn't find that acceptable.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Yes, look for those C&Js when you want a divorce...

Yes if l gave my wife those C&Js, she would divorce me.
laugh.gif

H.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm pretty sure your hubby buys his based solely on heel size...

When he goes out it is normally in 100 cm; but, he can easily walk in 120cm or double platform 140 cm.

Biscione

Reaction score
The shoes that a well-dressed man wears have barely changed in 100 years. If we could buy shoes that lasted a lifetime, we probably would, and the best shoe companies offer products that have a longevity through quality of manufacture.

The shoes that a well-dressed woman wears have changed massively in 10 years. These shoes are not aimed to be manufactured for longevity, because then the shoe would out-live the design.

Only after a certain stage of wearing do the real differences between a well-made and a fantastically-made pair of shoes become evident, and it is at this stage that the fantastically-made pair proves its worth. Most women's shoes will never be worn for long enough to reach that stage (as most women who wear Choo or whatever else have a veritable shoe army), and will eventually gain dust, regardless of whether or not they're Lobb-quality.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wife=>
censored.gif

She, at least doesn't find that acceptable.

Oh, I'm not saying they're happy about it; I'm just saying that they seem to accept it and move on more easily, probably because (1.) they're used to it; (2.) the shoes were cheaper than good men's shoes in the first place; (3.) they don't mind replacing them with something newer and even more stylish; and (4.) there is a 99.99999999999 percent chance there are at least three other pairs in their closets that could completely replace the broken pair until a new pair can be purchased.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Oh, I'm not saying they're happy about it; I'm just saying that they seem to accept it and move on more easily, probably because (1.) they're used to it; (2.) the shoes were cheaper than good men's shoes in the first place; (3.) they don't mind replacing them with something newer and even more stylish; and (4.) there is a 99.99999999999 percent chance there are at least three other pairs in their closets that could completely replace the broken pair until a new pair can be purchased.

I can't speak for most women, and the wife may be an anomaly, but she would really like "staple" shoes to be long lasting. She does have another tier of "fashion" shoes where there is no expectation that they'll outlast the season. As said above, those are infrequently worn.

She does think the C&J offerings are hideous but the Carmina and Gravati welted shoes are quite nice and wearable. The only problem there is getting a good fit- which may be worth another thread. I'm thinking G&G may be a good long term solution or maybe Kielman ( but we'd have to get over there first).

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI - Even though women`s shoes have a lot glue construction, you can get them repaired and wear them for a very long time (maybe not 30 years, but I imagine over 10 easily).

You can get the soles repaired for the heel and the front part easily. Also if the upper (is that what they`re called for women too?) gets damaged, they can fix that too. If your wife is brand whore, it`s even easier. Just like repairing handbags, you take it to the store (i.e. Chanel) and they will do a very nice repair/maintenance.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for most women, and the wife may be an anomaly, but she would really like "staple" shoes to be long lasting. She does have another tier of "fashion" shoes where there is no expectation that they'll outlast the season. As said above, those are infrequently worn.

She does think the C&J offerings are hideous but the Carmina and Gravati welted shoes are quite nice and wearable. The only problem there is getting a good fit- which may be worth another thread. I'm thinking G&G may be a good long term solution or maybe Kielman ( but we'd have to get over there first).

That's the same mentality of buying the basic basic version of handbags that are offered every season.

Unfortunately the good shoe makers are oftentimes men only and in the case of those who offer women's shoes, the style and shape are nothing short of ludicrous.

You can't put women in men's attire/accessories and expect them to look sexy and elegant.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
That's the same mentality of buying the basic basic version of handbags that are offered every season.

She doesn't like that either. The industry is really driven toward fast turnover in women's garments generally.

Unfortunately the good shoe makers are oftentimes men only and in the case of those who offer women's shoes, the style and shape are nothing short of ludicrous.
Agreed, C&J being particularly egregious. Carmina has a mixed bag of "grannywear" and nice items.

You can't put women in men's attire/accessories and expect them to look sexy and elegant.
Some may like it, but it never worked for me. However, there's no way most girls ( except the terminally vain) will walk around in 4" heels all day,every day. There's no reason Pennies, flats, boots etc. can't be well made and reasonably feminine. As said, some can do it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know women's shoes are supposed to be sexy and so can't be made as durable as men's shoes--and I'd rather women's shoes be sexy and flimsy than manly and durable.

But I don't believe better construction techniques can't be utilized or that women don't desire longer-lasting wear. A lot of women I know seem to really hate having to replace a long-time favorite pair. And there are some staples that a woman should have.

I guess I don't understand why the soles can't be stitched instead of glued.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads