• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women advising men on how to dress?

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Let me see if I understand this. You took a woman to a mall and then made her walk home simply because she had disagreeable opinions about your taste in clothing? And this was after you implied to her that the only reason you'd put up with such an irritation is if she'd agree to ******** with you?

Wow! You are one classy dude.

This is where the
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
belong ...

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
She sounds like a classy lady.
Irrelevant.

When a chivalrous man takes a woman somewhere -- anywhere -- he considers it his responsiblity to see her home safely. Her character doesn't determine how he treats her; his does.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Irrelevant.

When a chivalrous man takes a woman somewhere -- anywhere -- he considers it his responsiblity to see her home safely. Her character doesn't determine how he treats her; his does.

I'll just leave this right here...

OhSnap.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i find alot of women like the way i dress, but some of the suggestions they come up with are things i would never really consider.

Or they totally hate something until i try it on.

My GF thought i was out of my mind when i showed her a Knit tie, i tried it on and she loved it. It completed the look i was wearing with a heavy tweed jacket and sweater.

One of the things i've found is that while some peices alone may seem pretty rediculus if they're paired to other things well they really turn out to be awesome.

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I think women know a whole more about dressing their menfolk than we know about dressing them...

Why, they even know about how to make a decision about spousal dressing without letting the shop assistant doing it for them.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Women cannot choose men's clothes worth a damn. However, they know a well-dressed man when they see one. The sad irony...

the collary to this is that its true for men choosing womens clothing also.

my wife has great dress sense and i apreciate it but any clothes i usually point are are hideous.

in my deffence its not my brain which is doing the thinking when i point out such things

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time that girls have picked out clothes for me, it's like they're playing dressup - they pick items that stand out, but forget that they actually have to be worn successfully, which is usually impossible. Maybe it's their inner child longing to play barbie and ken again, i dunno.

However, if they actually took the time to observe well-dressed men (and most girls can tell the difference between well-dressed and the guy who wears eye catching clothes), they'd understand the basics and be able to pic out pieces.

I guess that's the difference. As individual pieces, the eye is attracted to "snazzy" clothing, whereas actually in dress, classics look the best.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Women don't think as literally as men do, and understanding that fact is the key to understanding a lot about how women behave. Especially when it comes to "suggestions" from girlfriends about clothes and other personal habits. When a woman suggests you try on Item X, she's not directly suggesting that you buy Item X. For her, Item X represents a vague idea of the direction she wants your clothing to move in. If you're too formal in all situations, for example, her suggesting a designer t-shirt or a pair of jeans isn't really about that one t-shirt or that particular pair of jeans. It's about suggesting that you adopt a more casual mode of dress when you're not at the office. In this context, it's fine to turn down a suggestion every now and then. But you should realize what the big-picture implications of each suggestion are, and ask yourself if that big picture idea is worth pursuing or rejecting. Finally, we need to put aside the simplistic and reductive idea that women like a particular look in their men all of the time. Women enjoy versatility. They want to see you look good when dressed up, but they also want to see you look good in t-shirts and jeans when lounging around the house or what have you. It's not a zero-sum game between formality and sloppiness. That's the wrong way to look at it. Rather, it's about being the total package: a guy who looks good in any setting, and who is not so uptight that he has to be dressed to the nines everywhere he goes. The ideal man, for quite a lot of women, is a guy who "cleans up nicely": he looks rugged and a bit rough when not dressed up, but when he dresses up, he's cleaned up and polished. You need to exhibit this contrast in your daily life. You can't be 100% one or the other all of the time. If you're rugged and unkempt all of the time, you get labeled a slob. If you're dressed up all of the time, you get labeled effeminate or uptight. You have to rock both sides of the coin.

Doxe

Reaction score
Women don't know what they want, that's why they ask us what we think.

Women don't listen to us, which is why they don't all wear sexy lingerie 24/7.

jabreal00

Reaction score
For the average male schlub a Woman would make better decisions in terms of picking cloths. However, for one who considers themselves a sartorialist relying on a woman to pick one's clothes means looking like this:
simpson.jpg
Albeit it's better than looking like this:
artie_lange.jpg

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
The ideal man, for quite a lot of women, is a guy who "cleans up nicely": he looks rugged and a bit rough when not dressed up, but when he dresses up, he's cleaned up and polished. You need to exhibit this contrast in your daily life. You can't be 100% one or the other all of the time. If you're rugged and unkempt all of the time, you get labeled a slob. If you're dressed up all of the time, you get labeled effeminate or uptight. You have to rock both sides of the coin.

I agree with this. I don't know how many times I've been told I clean up nicely by a woman and it's always said in a complimentary way.

I'm amazed at how many men I know end up stereotyping themselves because of clothing and I'm not saying that in a good way. There is a time and place for everything and clothes are part of that. It seems to me that women in general have a better understanding of this concept versus men.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jabreal00
For the average male schlub a Woman would make better decisions in terms of picking cloths. However, for one who considers themselves a sartorialist relying on a woman to pick one's clothes means looking like this:

simpson.jpg

Albeit it's better than looking like this:

artie_lange.jpg

Hmm, the fat man dresses much better...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Most of the time that girls have picked out clothes for me, it's like they're playing dressup - they pick items that stand out, but forget that they actually have to be worn successfully, which is usually impossible. Maybe it's their inner child longing to play barbie and ken again, i dunno.

However, if they actually took the time to observe well-dressed men (and most girls can tell the difference between well-dressed and the guy who wears eye catching clothes), they'd understand the basics and be able to pic out pieces.

I guess that's the difference. As individual pieces, the eye is attracted to "snazzy" clothing, whereas actually in dress, classics look the best.

+100000000000

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads