• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women advising men on how to dress?

dizzhizz

Reaction score
def the only thing i would ask a women is for comments on the fit.

Doc4

Reaction score
Once you are older than, say, five, no one dresses you; you dress yourself ... with 'parental assistance'. As you get older, the assistance gets less hands-on and more infrequent.

Once you move out, you dress yourself ... with general assistance. Maybe the assistance comes from friends, peers, youth culture, magasines, SF, girlfriends, whatever. Unless you are employed to protect the state, or are a guest of the state, you still get to make the choice.

Now, women are like men. Most of them can't dress themselves worth crap, and their advice is worse than useless. How else can you explain sweaters with shoulder pads? Nevertheless, some people ... men and women ... have an eye for style and can dish out good advice. Pick your advisors carefully!

That said, if my wife expresses a distinct interest in one of my garments, I will likely wear it more often. Likewise, if she dislikes one of them significantly, it only gets worn on "I don't want to get laid" Day (which don't come around very often.)

manouche

Reaction score
My mistress knows less than me about nylon stockings so...

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think women (namely your wife / girlfriend / mistress ("When one marries ones mistress, one creates a vacancy")), have a better eye for colour than most men do.

They also tend to know what looks best on you, or things such as "Wow, it really brings out your eyes" which men would never consider. That said however, they certainly do not know the sartorial rules that many a gentleman on this forum would know.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
The myth is that all women know more about dressing men than all men do. I believe it's true, however, that most women do, in fact know more about dressing men than most men do. But that is because most men know nothing about dressing themselves and consider football jerseys and sneakers appropriate attire for Casual Fridays. I am hard-pressed to think of even one man that I know personally who doesn't trust a woman's judgment on clothing more than his own. (You guys don't count because I don't know you personally.)
Here Here, this should be the reality... Unfortunately, This is the reality...
Originally Posted by Eccentric
Whether or not women like men dressed up varies wildly and is irrelevant. What matters is the female response to the opportunity to choose what a man wears. More often than not, this response is to choose overly flashy, garish outfits that degrade the wearer. The sad thing is that, as is stated above, this is still better than what would result from a man dressing himself. There are exceptions to this, as to most rules of thumb. Only a fool would argue that all women have bad taste, but it is equally foolish to take the sartorial advice of a woman simply based on her gender.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I think women (namely your wife / girlfriend / mistress ("When one marries ones mistress, one creates a vacancy")), have a better eye for colour than most men do.

They also tend to know what looks best on you, or things such as "Wow, it really brings out your eyes" which men would never consider. That said however, they certainly do not know the sartorial rules that many a gentleman on this forum would know.

+1

I am horrible sometimes with color accentuation.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When men let women decide for them, tragedies like KC square-toed shoes, diagonal striped shirts and gigantic buckled belts happen

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
many moons ago at the start of law school, this honey was all over me and asked if she could come with me to the mall as I needed some cross-trainers. Sure, why not. Chance to get to know her better (she was rich, hot, and had a body (she wore cat suits to class, if that helps with the visuals). Anyhow, she starts bitching and moaning about clothes I looked at and get those shoes, and I like those better, etc. etc. etc. Finally, after 2 hours of torture, I couldn't take it anymore. I looked at her and said "Are we ******* tonite?" She had this look of shock on her face as I continued, "since only somebody that I was ******* would have a vote here like you think you have." No, I didn't **** her and yes, she walked home from the mall.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
many moons ago at the start of law school, this honey was all over me and asked if she could come with me to the mall as I needed some cross-trainers. Sure, why not. Chance to get to know her better (she was rich, hot, and had a body (she wore cat suits to class, if that helps with the visuals). Anyhow, she starts bitching and moaning about clothes I looked at and get those shoes, and I like those better, etc. etc. etc. Finally, after 2 hours of torture, I couldn't take it anymore. I looked at her and said "Are we ******* tonite?" She had this look of shock on her face as I continued, "since only somebody that I was ******* would have a vote here like you think you have." No, I didn't **** her and yes, she walked home from the mall.

worship.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Staatsoper

Reaction score

"You really shouldn't throw away women like that, some day they might be scarce."

ChriO

Reaction score
On that day it is more than early enough to endure women like that.
tounge.gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this. You took a woman to a mall and then made her walk home simply because she had disagreeable opinions about your taste in clothing? And this was after you implied to her that the only reason you'd put up with such an irritation is if she'd agree to ******** with you?

Wow! You are one classy dude.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Let me see if I understand this. You took a woman to a mall and then made her walk home simply because she had disagreeable opinions about your taste in clothing? And this was after you implied to her that the only reason you'd put up with such an irritation is if she'd agree to ******** with you?

Wow! You are one classy dude.

She sounds like a classy lady.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill

Color ought to be their biggest strength, but they tend to take it too far and thus break some unwritten rules about masculinity. Also, often they don't seem to understand that typical male coloring doesn't handle the range of colors that typical female coloring (plus makeup, highlights,and other enhancements) does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics