• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

thams

Reaction score
I've been eyeing those boots on ebay for the past week. I hear the 721LTDs run a bit more true to size, but I still think the size 9s would be a little too large for my feet. As much as I want to pull the trigger on those, I can't stomach shelling out $600+ on the off chance they might fit (even with the return policy). If I could try them on locally, then it might be a different story.

Ebay is great though -- it's where I picked up my 1000 Mile Originals!

Dayman

Reaction score
I've been eyeing those boots on ebay for the past week. I hear the 721LTDs run a bit more true to size, but I still think the size 9s would be a little too large for my feet. As much as I want to pull the trigger on those, I can't stomach shelling out $600+ on the off chance they might fit (even with the return policy). If I could try them on locally, then it might be a different story.

Ebay is great though -- it's where I picked up my 1000 Mile Originals!

Yeah, I got my Stocktons from the same guy on there. I'm not sure with sizing in regards to to the 721. I heard they were the same as normal 1k sizing but, i don't have a pair to verify.

thams

Reaction score
Just got conformation from Wolverine that the new shell cordovan boot limited release boot is in the works. Quoted from an email, " We will be launching the 744LTD boot later this year, but that is as much as I am allowed to tell you. Keep watch on the 1000 Mile Blog Site for more info. As we get closer to fall, you will starts seeing more info on it and some images."

Looks like Fitzgeralds is taking pre-orders to the tune of $760. Their website says the boot will start shipping in early August.

http://shop.fitzs.com/744ltd-wolverine-1000-mile-boot-w00744/

Dayman

Reaction score
Just got conformation from Wolverine that the new shell cordovan boot limited release boot is in the works. Quoted from an email, " We will be launching the 744LTD boot later this year, but that is as much as I am allowed to tell you. Keep watch on the 1000 Mile Blog Site for more info. As we get closer to fall, you will starts seeing more info on it and some images."

Looks like Fitzgeralds is taking pre-orders to the tune of $760. Their website says the boot will start shipping in early August.

http://shop.fitzs.com/744ltd-wolverine-1000-mile-boot-w00744/

Fitzgeralds is where i got my 1k boots. They are some great people and treated me well when i visited their store.

thams

Reaction score
Good news for me -- I was able to score a pair of 721LTDs in 8.5 (the last pair in the country apparently) from Allen Edmonds in Chicago. The representative was nice enough to throw in a pair of leather cord laces and shell cordovan polish free of charge. My wife was slightly taken aback by the price... But when you consider the price relative to the lifespan of the shoe it's a steal! Should be here mid-week.

Dodo

Reaction score
So, the correct sizing for these beauty is half size down? if you wear 8,5 on alden indy a 8,5 721 ltd should fit you perfect? can someone give answer?
Thams when you receive your boots can you tell something on sizing?
thanks

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, the correct sizing for these beauty is half size down? if you wear 8,5 on alden indy a 8,5 721 ltd should fit you perfect? can someone give answer?
Thams when you receive your boots can you tell something on sizing?
thanks

Order the same size as Alden Indy.

thams

Reaction score
Crane's,

Thanks for the advice about cordovan shoe care and wear. The shoes are such a big investment that I've been fairly calculating in how I will care for them. While I don't plan on wearing them in through slop and muck, I do intend on subjecting them to some light punishment. I'm still hesitant on use Sno Seal, although I can't really say why. EA told me to stick to a damp cloth and brush -- then cordovan cream 2-3 times per year. I suppose I'll just wait and see how they hold up.

One question though -- have you heard that you're supposed to let the shoe "rest" for 24-48 hours between wears? Seems a little silly to me. I figure if you keep the leather conditioned, then there shouldn't be any issues. Just curious to hear from someone with experience with this boot.

When you get a chance, I'd love to see how the boots are aging. I think I've worn out the internet looking for 721LTD pics.
smile.gif

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crane's, 

Thanks for the advice about cordovan shoe care and wear.  The shoes are such a big investment that I've been fairly calculating in how I will care for them.  While I don't plan on wearing them in through slop and muck, I do intend on subjecting them to some light punishment.  I'm still hesitant on use Sno Seal, although I can't really say why.  EA told me to stick to a damp cloth and brush -- then cordovan cream 2-3 times per year.  I suppose I'll just wait and see how they hold up.

One question though -- have you heard that you're supposed to let the shoe "rest" for 24-48 hours between wears?  Seems a little silly to me.  I figure if you keep the leather conditioned, then there shouldn't be any issues.  Just curious to hear from someone with experience with this boot.

When you get a chance, I'd love to see how the boots are aging.  I think I've worn out the internet looking for 721LTD pics.  :)

YES. You need to let the leather naturally dry out from the moisture from your feet. General rule is you never wear a good pair of shoes two days in a row. Shoe trees are also essential for dress shoes; I view them as helpful, but not at all necessary for boots.

thams

Reaction score
YES. You need to let the leather naturally dry out from the moisture from your feet. General rule is you never wear a good pair of shoes two days in a row. Shoe trees are also essential for dress shoes; I view them as helpful, but not at all necessary for boots.

Ahhh, ok. That does make sense -- especially if they've been subjected to gross weather or extra sweaty feet. I'll make good use of the shoe trees then.

globaldev

Reaction score
love these boots. before i grab a pair. i was wondering if the rationale for going down a half size was more the width and/or the length. i am thinking most people have narrow to normal feet and maybe therefore the width was too much?

it seems only full sizes in d are still available and i typically wear a 11.5 wide sounds like an 11 would be okay.

(wow, I have only 1 post in since 9/10. i didn't even realize i had an account beofre i logged in)..

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crane's, 

Thanks for the advice about cordovan shoe care and wear.  The shoes are such a big investment that I've been fairly calculating in how I will care for them.  While I don't plan on wearing them in through slop and muck, I do intend on subjecting them to some light punishment.  I'm still hesitant on use Sno Seal, although I can't really say why.  EA told me to stick to a damp cloth and brush -- then cordovan cream 2-3 times per year.  I suppose I'll just wait and see how they hold up.

One question though -- have you heard that you're supposed to let the shoe "rest" for 24-48 hours between wears?  Seems a little silly to me.  I figure if you keep the leather conditioned, then there shouldn't be any issues.  Just curious to hear from someone with experience with this boot.

When you get a chance, I'd love to see how the boots are aging.  I think I've worn out the internet looking for 721LTD pics.  :)

Maintenance needs to be matched to use IMO. I'm obviously very rough on the 1K boots in my collection so my maintanence routine is necessary to keep them alive and well.

I've heard much talk about letting good footwear rest between uses. I never hear any mention about letting lower quality footwear rest between uses though. In my mind it seems the lower quality stuff would need the rest. LOL! Sometimes I think this is nothing more than good marketing at work. I base quality or cost on how many times I can use something versus how long I've just owned it. The resting rule IMO makes it appear that a shoe or boot lasts longer than it actually does. Now keep in mind I'm not saying you should wear wet boots or shoes. In this case it is a smart move to let them dry out before you wear them again. Not so much for the leather's sake but for your feet's sake. Foot rot sucks.

thams

Reaction score
Maintenance needs to be matched to use IMO. I'm obviously very rough on the 1K boots in my collection so my maintenance routine is necessary to keep them alive and well.
I've heard much talk about letting good footwear rest between uses. I never hear any mention about letting lower quality footwear rest between uses though. In my mind it seems the lower quality stuff would need the rest. LOL! Sometimes I think this is nothing more than good marketing at work. I base quality or cost on how many times I can use something versus how long I've just owned it. The resting rule IMO makes it appear that a shoe or boot lasts longer than it actually does. Now keep in mind I'm not saying you should wear wet boots or shoes. In this case it is a smart move to let them dry out before you wear them again. Not so much for the leather's sake but for your feet's sake. Foot rot sucks.

I agree with everything that you say here. If you're the type to wear your boots to the office and back, then maintenance will probably be somewhat minimal (especially if you drive door to door). It would seem to me that the cheaper the shoe, the more it would have to rest between wears as well. Barring the boots being really damp, I wouldn't think wearing the same pair of boots everyday would necessarily hurt them. I do understand giving them a rest every now and then though, especially if you're particularly rough on them.

Boots were delivered today and are waiting for me for when I leave work. Can't wait to see them in person (which I have yet to do).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads