• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The main problem I have with the 8.5's when I walk and bend my foot the leather creases and digs into the top part of my toes whereas the 9's are so roomy it barely comes near hitting my feet, I have to try to wiggle my toes as much as I can just to hit the roof of the toe box. All in all the 8.5's fit me better if this problem will eventually stretch and go away and the 9's are just safe because they are really big, but I'm just concerned since pretty much 90% of everyone went 1/2 size down. Did you stay TTS or did you go half a size down?

No they don't fit better. They are too small and that's that. I did not size down. All my 1K boots are my measured size (TTS)

Tight jeans cutting off blood supply .....

I think so. I'm loosing patience with this kind of sizing question crap.

milw50717

Reaction score

Well if I do keep the bigger size what do you recommend I buy to prevent heel slippage?

You can adjust using combinations of thicker/thinner socks and thicker/thinner (full-length or half-length) insoles, heel cups, etc, etc.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will just say that what some people just can't recognize is that not all boots will have a size that properly fits you. Some people might be better served to realize that W1K's just might not work for them, period, rather than trying to figure out one that works. Not all shoe lasts are meant for all foot shapes (though I'd say that W1K lasts are more versatile than, say, Alden's TruBalance last, which doesn't fit me at any size or width).

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well if I do keep the bigger size what do you recommend I buy to prevent heel slippage?

As I stated earlier slight heel slippage in a boot is normal. Others have suggested solutions to your "problem". If you think the problem with the toe box reinforcement digging into your toes doesn't convince you that the boot isn't the right size then nothing will.

I will just say that what some people just can't recognize is that not all boots will have a size that properly fits you. Some people might be better served to realize that W1K's just might not work for them, period, rather than trying to figure out one that works. Not all shoe lasts are meant for all foot shapes (though I'd say that W1K lasts are more versatile than, say, Alden's TruBalance last, which doesn't fit me at any size or width).

I agree with this. The only boot or shoe that would fit perfectly would be one that is specifically made to your feet. I have one pair of boots that would qualify as such and those would be my custom fitted Limmer mountain climbing boots.

benjamin550

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I posted this a couple of months ago and never got a response, I thought I'd try again.

I received a pair of 1000 miles and wore them for a few days, and they were great. Around the 3rd day though they developed a really annoying lump right under the arch of my right foot, just before my heel, like my sock was bunching up. Took it too a cobbler and he said the leather seam was too large and should have been taken care of better. Sent them back to Wolverine and they sent me a new pair. Now, Ive had the new pair for 2 days, and the same problem! I can actually see where the seam makes a bulge in the leather. Has anyone else had this happen?

To my knowledge, I dont have weird feet or anything...

loug

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I posted this a couple of months ago and never got a response, I thought I'd try again.

I received a pair of 1000 miles and wore them for a few days, and they were great. Around the 3rd day though they developed a really annoying lump right under the arch of my right foot, just before my heel, like my sock was bunching up. Took it too a cobbler and he said the leather seam was too large and should have been taken care of better. Sent them back to Wolverine and they sent me a new pair. Now, Ive had the new pair for 2 days, and the same problem! I can actually see where the seam makes a bulge in the leather. Has anyone else had this happen?

I'd say try to break them in. The sole is leather and will eventually form to your foot. This problem was in two pairs of name brand work boots made in China. Both pair had inner or outer sole problems, never took the time to figure it out because the soles are all man made materials. Also have a two pair of walking shoes also made in China that have hot spots in the soles. Looks like the gel layer in one pair is about 1 1/2" wide and can be felt under the ball of the foot. From now on only American made shoes and boots for me. Have about $450 wasted on those boots and shoes. Trying to find someone that wants to try using them, one pair of boots might be taken. Not sure yet.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys, 

I received a pair of 1000 miles and wore them for a few days, and they were great. Around the 3rd day though they developed a really annoying lump right under the arch of my right foot, just before my heel, like my sock was bunching up. Took it too a cobbler and he said the leather seam was too large and should have been taken care of better. Sent them back to Wolverine and they sent me a new pair. Now, Ive had the new pair for 2 days, and the same problem! I can actually see where the seam makes a bulge in the leather. Has anyone else had this happen?

What model boot do you have?

benjamin550

Reaction score
What model boot do you have?
The regular 1000 mile. In wide. Ive tried on every size possible, and these fit like a glove, so I know its not a fit thing. Just not sure if they'll break in past the point of this being really annoying. Just the right foot on both pairs, left feels great.

Kohl

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The regular 1000 mile. In wide. Ive tried on every size possible, and these fit like a glove, so I know its not a fit thing. Just not sure if they'll break in past the point of this being really annoying. Just the right foot on both pairs, left feels great. 

Kohl 

Hmmm, it would be extremely odd that it would be a defect since the problem area is in the same exact spot on two sets of boots. This really could be a matter of breaking them in. What weight sock are you wearing?

benjamin550

Reaction score
Hmmm, it would be extremely odd that it would be a defect since the problem area is in the same exact spot on two sets of boots. This really could be a matter of breaking them in. What weight sock are you wearing?
I know, my thought too. With the last pair I tried every different weight I had, and then some. I kept thinking it was my sock bunching up so I tried everything, bigger, smaller, thicker, thinner. Right now just a medium weight smart wool.

When I took the first pair to the cobbler, he said that the seam was unusually thick. He tried everything he could to reduce it, but no luck so I finally sent them back.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is an odd one. I can't remember what went on with the foot bed when I got my boots. I know it formed to my foot and all was good but that took some time. Since my little fiasco a few years ago where I wrecked the plantar fascia in my foot there have been thin gel insoles in my boots. Insoles are an option for you or you can go "naked" for a few weeks and see if this settles down. I would call Wolverine and let them know the same thing is happening but you want to wear them for a few weeks or a month to see if it's just a matter of the foot bed doing it's thing.

loug

Reaction score
Yeah this is an odd one. I can't remember what went on with the foot bed when I got my boots. I know it formed to my foot and all was good but that took some time. Since my little fiasco a few years ago where I wrecked the plantar fascia in my foot there have been thin gel insoles in my boots. Insoles are an option for you or you can go "naked" for a few weeks and see if this settles down. I would call Wolverine and let them know the same thing is happening but you want to wear them for a few weeks or a month to see if it's just a matter of the foot bed doing it's thing.

Was thinking plantar fasiitis reading above. Went through a bad spell of this type of injury last winter with some soft work boots. Seems like solid inner and outer soles work the best. The softer the soles or the use of soft inner soles makes things worse in my case. Been looking at the cork inner soles but the way the look lots of room in the shoe is necessary. Walking about 3 miles a day, good shoes with good support are needed. Not soft pillows tied to the feet.

nevereast

Reaction score
Crane's:

Regarding the horween predator leather on the wolverine Austens. Would you protect them using the same method as the cxl?

I'm looking for a boot that will take the abuse of daily dog park and inclement weather through the winter, and still look good as a casual dressier boot. Anything better? I like the height for deeper snow and he half sole.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ankit_10