1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Okay, let's compare them to a White's or Nick's boot, which also blows them out of the water. That's 450ish.

I will agree that Wolverine is the best boot in it's price point, when that price point dips down to 200 or less (which is certainly possible secondhand or with seconds).

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yes, dumping paint on good leather makes it better. I shouldn't have thrown away my work boots after getting paint and stain on them from building a few houses and decks. Oh the money I could have made with those transformed custom boots.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

OJFC - no one is talking about the leather, quality or style of the viberg boot (though that toe is a little feminine). We talking about the stupid paint job. How fucking hard is this to understand?

What do you guys think I could upcharge for a pair that I've pissed on?

lefty

1 person likes this.
  4. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

They're both apples, but one's bigger, and it has less worms in it. It's like comparing a Hyundai Genesis to an M3. Viberg even has a brown CXL boot with a leather sole:

[​IMG]

5. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

You literally couldn't see the forest for all the trees, even if it hit you right in the face.

BTW lefty, the primary upcharge for those painted leather boots is the leather itself, not the paint. If you'll look, you'll see that Viberg's horsehide makeups are also more expensive.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. misterjuiceman

For the curious: http://viberg.com/blogs/journal/10037089-painted-horsehide

And if you liked that, you'll love this: http://viberg.com/blogs/journal/8367827-distressed-service-boot

7. ClassAct

ClassAct Well-Known Member

Hey great thread. Inspired by the 1k pics on here. Need some fit advice of my own now that I'm convinced I need a pair. (Wolverine 1000)

I'm a size 7.5G width in Grenson and a 7.5 in Red Wing chukkas. In terms of trainers I am 8.5 in Vans and 8 in Converse.

Should I go with 7.5 in wolverine's or should I go 7 and then let them stretch and mould to my foot over time?

Cheers :)

8. misterjuiceman

If the boot doesn't fit out of the box, it doesn't fit. Buying with the hopes that stretching will make it so is not a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Au contraire Sherri! Dumping paint on good leather is ignorant, stupid and is known to screw up good leather. Not only do I see the forest and the trees but the magic mushrooms that people eat that causes them to go blind.

10. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I would suggest a 7.5. Sizing into a shoe and expecting it to stretch is usually a recipe for disaster.

I think a tannery that has been operating for more than a hundred years knows what they're doing with leather, possibly even better than you.

11. thams

thams Senior member

This thread is fucked.

1 person likes this.
  12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Telling me your size in other than a properly fitting Wolverine 1K boot doesn't mean a thing. One thing for sure is you do not buy a smaller size hoping it will fit by stretching. Your foot will lose. This is how you find the starting point size that I need to know in order to recommend a size for you.

http://cranesboots.com/getting-right-size/

13. ClassAct

Well I am not sure if 7.5 is the optimum fit in this boot. Based on my measurements would you say stick to 7.5 or size down to 7? (I added in trainer measurements for some better context). I have a wide but short foot shape. Unfortunately not near a store that I can try them on but there seems to be a lot of first hand experience here.

14. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

You can always order from Nordstroms and return. Get properly measured on a Brannock device and work from there. If you have a wide foot, you will likely need a wide size, but it's impossible to know without getting your foot measured.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

16. ClassAct

Do high street shoe stores have these devices?

17. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Almost any shoe store worth it's salt will have one and employees that know how to use it. Some stores don't have employees that know how to use it, so I advise that you look up how to use it before going

18. misterjuiceman

If you can figure out your size, Amazon has the 7 and 7.5D for around $280. Nordstrom is great too since they have such an easy system for returns, and it's free. I'd say if you're paying full price (or close to it) for the 1K plain toe, you might be better off looking toward White's or Nick's, since you're pretty close to their realm. You'll get better construction quality and materials (nicer uppers, a leather insole as opposed to Wolverine's fiber board one). You'll be back to square one for sizing, though.

19. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

If you order through Baker's Boots, you get a sizing guarantee.

1 person likes this.
  20. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

This threak is like a car crash, I can't look away.