• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

anrobit

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the supposedly 1 month old boots bonedout posted above look way more deep brown with no hints of red, while my brand new Wolverine Browns below look less brown and have a much stronger reddish hue? (I put them next to Clark's Desert Boots in Beeswax for reference. No flash was used.)

It's perfectly normal. There is variation in the finish. A pair of Crane's boots in brown were posted a few pages ago that looked almost exactly like yours, if not more red.

turdburglar

Reaction score
so I fell out of love with these boots a few months back; got myself a pair of Indys and the 1k's became my "beater" boots (specifically, i wore 'em to the dog park/beach). Well, looks like my Indys (as almost expected??) have a manufacturer issue; the insole is separating fomr the welt.. So in the meantime, decided to play around with shoe care stuff I have at home on the 1K's. In the past, I've used Montana Pitch Blend (99% of the time) and boot oil once to treat.

As the boots were starting to look quite dry, I decided to try out Saphir Renovateur on one boot after searching to see if it was ok; concensus was it was OK. Here are the results with a comparison.. 30min I left it on then buffed off:

I think I'm starting to like 'em again.. lol :)

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not yet Lefty. I'll be at the store for a while tomorrow. Hopefully I have something that's the same model and size with just different widths on the shelf.

Thanks. I'm happy with my D's - very comfortable - but have a high arch and the middle of the eyelets bows slightly.

lefty

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are all fair points. The only concern I would have is the impact of treatment on the color and break in of the leather. For example, would a heavily treated pair of CXL boots end up with the kind of shine and color seen here (I'm asking as I don't know):

I would be even more concerned with the impact of waterproofing methods on the aesthetics of cordovan and calfskin. For example I've haven't heard of people treating their Trickers or Edward Green "country boots" with heavy waterproofer. That said, I do use products like Alden's "leather protecter" and various suede sprays to protect against elements,

At that point, it is up to the wearer to determine the costs and benefits of particular treatment methods.

I've Sno-Sealed my W1K CXL's and Shell Cordovan 721's in my oven, and both are more than capable of achieving good shine or sheen. If anything, melting wax into the boot only makes it easier to get a high shine from, at least in my experience. I haven't found any conditioning or weatherproofing treatment that can't be tailored around to achieve whatever degree of sheen or shine you desire. A little kiwi wax and elbow grease and you can shine pretty much anything, if you're inclined. My W1K CXL's in the pic actually have some Obenauf's HD LP on them, too, and it didn't stop me from the results shown.

I use Alden's leather defender and Alden's cordovan creme on my Alden NST's. I really like the Alden cordovan creme on shell cordovan, and have since used it on all my cordovan shoes for a deep matte sheen. The Alden defender spray really cuts down on the welting when you're in rain, as recommended by sevenfoldtieguy.

gfloridafan93

Reaction score
Everyone has mentioned that a brannock device is the best way to determine your size for these boots. After I find my brannock size, is that the size I buy, or does everyone then take a half size off? Or a full size? I just don't want to have to constantly ship boots back that don't fit, and there's nowhere around me that sells them.

anrobit

Reaction score
Everyone has mentioned that a brannock device is the best way to determine your size for these boots. After I find my brannock size, is that the size I buy, or does everyone then take a half size off? Or a full size? I just don't want to have to constantly ship boots back that don't fit, and there's nowhere around me that sells them.
It depends on your personal preference. I personally size down 3/4 of a size from Brannock

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The two size numbers (OAL length size, arch length size) and the width as measured on a Brannock is the info I need to know in order to make a recommendation. Detailed instructions on what to do before you get measured are posted on CranesBoots.com.

Don't forget there's a sale on and the magic code is 20TODAY

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mario, I gives my boots the same treatment.
fistbump.gif

cheers.gif
Nice ninja edit. The original one made me
shog[1].gif

gfloridafan93

Reaction score

The two size numbers (OAL length size, arch length size) and the width as measured on a Brannock is the info I need to know in order to make a recommendation. Detailed instructions on what to do before you get measured are posted on CranesBoots.com.

I just measured my brannock measurements. Here's what they currently are: length 7 1/2,ball measurement was 8 and my foot is narrow.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just measured my brannock measurements. Here's what they currently are: length 7 1/2,ball measurement was 8 and my foot is narrow.

Given your measurements the size 8 would be a good fit. Basically if the length numbers don't match your size is the larger of the two. You're short toed so you would have a lot more forward space in the tow box which is to be expected. You indicated you are already have a size 8 boot. It's been my experience that the smaller sizes are pretty much TTS while the larger sizes tend to be about a half size big. You said in your email that you think the boot fits loose. You have narrow feet and that;s where your problem lies IMO. Thicker socks and and insole can help with this and that's the route I would recommend. Going down in size would be very risky in your case. Going down in size moves the flex point backwards which could lead to having that reinforced toe box digging into the top of your foot. If your numbers were reversed I would say you could go down a half size. There's plenty of forward room in the toebox and given you're intended use I think you could get away with it.

gfloridafan93

Reaction score

Given your measurements the size 8 would be a good fit. Basically if the length numbers don't match your size is the larger of the two. You're short toed so you would have a lot more forward space in the tow box which is to be expected. You indicated you are already have a size 8 boot. It's been my experience that the smaller sizes are pretty much TTS while the larger sizes tend to be about a half size big. You said in your email that you think the boot fits loose. You have narrow feet and that;s where your problem lies IMO. Thicker socks and and insole can help with this and that's the route I would recommend. Going down in size would be very risky in your case. Going down in size moves the flex point backwards which could lead to having that reinforced toe box digging into the top of your foot. If your numbers were reversed I would say you could go down a half size. There's plenty of forward room in the toebox and given you're intended use I think you could get away with it.

Okay thank you. I guess another issue is that I am kind of annoyed with so much toe room. I get boots are roomy, but the 8s were definitely more roomy than I expected. Is there a way to shrink the toe room with insoles or anything? I'm just thinking there is way too much room in my toes. Thank you for your help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads