• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

seer

Reaction score

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi!

I recently bought the brown plain toe 1000 miles. After unboxing I treated them with two layers of Obenaufs LP with Crane's method, and perceeded to add a couple of layers of Kiwi wax polish.

I've since worn them mabye 10 times, and I've noticed the leather on one of the boots in particular is developing creases. Is this normal and to be expected, or is there something I can do to smooth out the creases/wrinkles?

Other then wiping them with a damp cloth and brushing them before putting the trees in before they get put in my wardrobe, is there anything else I might do to care for them? I've read some use boot oil once in awhile. How often should I apply it, and why?

Regards,

Stefan

This is the main reason I'm not a huge fan of CXL. It is supple. It is thick. It has gorgeous patina. And it creases like hell. I sold my indy boots because of this. It's also why I prefer suede and shell cordo for boots.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Looks like mine, and every other worn in 1k boot! The reason it is on one shoe more than the other might be (1) you have a foot that slightly shorter, narrower or lower in volume than your other (2) natural differences in the leather used one each shoe. I wouldn't worry, the other one will catch up soon enough.

lineate

Reaction score
I'm cross-posting this from the Obenauf's thread. This has nothing to do with Wolverine boots - but you guys seem to this forum's all-time experts on the subject. If this is a problem I can delete this post:

I've used Obenaufs in the past, but I'm based in the UK now and the shipping and import duty isinsane on this stuff.

Has anyone in the UK ever found a natural beeswax-based LP similar to the magic stuff?

Or, has anyone used Sedgewick? http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Leathercare/Sedgwick-Leather-Feed/flypage.tpl.html

Or Oakwood? http://www.oakwoodeurope.co.uk/

Also, is a "conditioner" different to a true LP or is that just a UK/US English difference?

I found about it recently from the Equus' website and it seems to have some similar properties. It's cheap enough that I can give it a go, but I don't want to muck-up my boots.

I'm looking for an LP that can help my boots withstand the dreary London winter and an oil that can put some life back into my favourite jacket.

Thanks for your help!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first foray into the 1000 mile is I bought my girlfriend a pair of the womans along with a pair of Indy's as she always admires mine.

Should arrive this week and I will get to see how an uninformed third party compares these two classic American boots through the eyes of a woman.

johnnyhandsome

Reaction score

A question regarding the older Darby of the Gentleman line, clearly labeled as 1000 Mile: Where is it made?
I searched the whole thread but couldn't find any info on it.
I like the flatter toe of these. Though not so sure about the stitching.
And they're still available here:
http://www.basketballssneakers.info...ne-1000-Mile-Darby-Boot-Style-w05305-646.html

Is that site legit? It doesn't look like it.

I've been looking for a pair of Darbys for a while now, but they were discontinued a year ago.

ShiroiAkuma

Reaction score
Anyone else see the new shell's? Really nice cap toe... Wish I had a pic saved on my work computer to post.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else see the new shell's? Really nice cap toe... Wish I had a pic saved on my work computer to post.

Post any pictures you can. I'm very interested in the toe treatment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics