1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. seer

seer Senior member

Quote: I'm not big on shell, but those are stunning boots!

2. ShiroiAkuma

ShiroiAkuma Senior member

Looks like you might be miss using those AE Bayfields. They weren't made for deep woods hunting or the sorts.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Miss use a pair of boots made of CXL?! Isn't that blasphemy to some people LOL. They are not dress boots although I do own a number of those including the AE walnut shell Daltons which I am wearing today. I do know the difference....

One poster on SF used his Bayfield's in Alaska hiking. And on the AE site a reviewer said he shoveled horse shit out of the barn and trailer all day then brushed them off and went to dinner that evening with no ill effect. They do fit extremely well. But the CXL is more work than it is worth IMO.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

I gave my pair of 1k's 2 coats of Obenauf's leather oil and 2 coats of LP this weekend. I took before/after shots and even between what I remember of the before and after and looking at the pictures, they aren't noticeably darker. I'm kinda disappointed, actually - I was hoping to darken them a bit.

Still loving them, though. I wore some Clarks DB's to the bar this weekend since I didn't want to scuff up my 1k's and all I could think of was how awful they were; this was my first quality footwear purchase and I'm glad I made it.

5. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

^^^^

Gave my Black pair of W1K's one coat of LP's last night, and they look nice. Obviously the color didn’t change, and I only went 1 coat since I highly doubt they’ll see snow here in L.A. or really too much rain, but the boots do seem to have a different look/texture to them now.

Just picked up a pair of Brown W1K's from Cranes and am going to give them the same treatment tonight. Question, with any residual LP oil, do you guys just wipe it clean with a rag? When I did my blacks last night, an overwhelming majority of the oil took to the boots, but there were some spots/streaks that remained so I just wiped it down.

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Yep. Just wipe off excess with a rag

7. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

:fonz:

8. turdburglar

turdburglar Well-Known Member

Got my brown 1K's from Cranes and applied a good coat of Montana Pitch Blend. Can't wait to wear these.. like jarude, my Clark DBs have been my only boot so I can finally stop wearing those for the time being :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  9. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

will Crane's be having any black friday events? Hopefully on tan addisons which happen to be in stock?

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Well we deal all the time. It's common knowledge that we'll do our best to match prices as long as we're matching legitimate entities and not some liquidator or seconds to first quality kind of malarkey. I'm only going to shelve a few pairs of boots at any one time but we can get anything in the line in a matter of a few days.

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

So here's my latest inventory. I have the original 1K in brown in the following sizes and counts. 1 pair in 9D, 3 pairs in 10D, and 1 pair in 10.5D. In rust I have one pair of 9.5D. I'm also bringing in a couple more of the messengers in olive.

You know the drill if you're interested....

12. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

do the 1000 mile boots come in size 6 or 6.5? everywhere i;ve looked online, the smallest size seems to be 7

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Nope, not in men's sizes at least.

14. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

just go with 7 if that`s your brannock size. It isn`t bad at all if you go tts esp. if you wear wool socks

15. seer

seer Senior member

Did I read that the US made 1000 mile series are made by Allen Edmonds?

16. Moridin

Moridin Member

So my 12Ds came in last night, and much to my relief they FIT !!!!. Shoe was nice and comfortable, a tab bit long, but my foot was snug.

I cant wait to start wearing them, im going to try to pickup some Sno Seal on the way home.

Just wanted to ask, as these shoes came with the Wolverine Shoe Care kit, should i use that LP and cleaner, or get something else ?

These are my first real boots that i want to take care of, the redwings ive just kinda worn, but i might as well seal them.

I have gone thru most of the posts in this thread, and it seems like ppl oil them W1k first and then snoseal them, is this correct ? and which oil should i use.

Thanks for the help, and big thanks to Crane, his pics sealed the deal on these shoes for me.

17. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

damn it..

18. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Hey I want to see pics of the complete care kit you received.

Oil first, snoseal or LP a few days later. Filson boot oil is what I use and recommend. It contains essential oils that are used in the vegetable tanning process and as far as I know nothing else. The Wolverine oil has pine tar in it which may or may not be good for leather in the long run. I have it and use it when I'm out of Filson oil and so far my only complaint is it's sticky.

19. Moridin

Moridin Member

This is not my pic, but its exactly what i got.

[​IMG]
    Ok time to find the filson oil locally. If not i will be calling your store. I havent even worn the 1ks yet, and im already thinking about getting another pair soon.

20. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Interesting, it looks like the same stuff as what's in the care kit that comes in the waxed cotton banker's bag. The brush is different but other than that it's the same. I'm going to have to get some of these in too. They should be much cheaper than the 1K luggage version. Now just so everyone knows this kit will work just fine if you don't go out and do the stupid stuff that I do.