• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Coat Thread FW11

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Do you guys think a wool coat will be warm enough to survive Canadian winters? (I don't like bombers or parkas) Thanks.

AHShadow

Reaction score

Yeah,the coat seems really good, I just don' know if I want to drop that much for a coat though, still thinking about it! Thanks.

lmao -30, average day in winter is probably -5 to -10

Yeah, well in Monteal, the average is probably a bit higher than TO, but I still want to make sure the coat can handle harsh conditions like those.

Expensive. You can get a Spiewak Gold Fleece N3B parka off Rakuten for $260 - made in USA with real coyote fur hood trim. Considering these are imported nowadays, I like the quality and the price.

Krane sucks for most folks.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look it up!

AHShadow

Reaction score

Do you guys think a wool coat will be warm enough to survive Canadian winters? (I don't like bombers or parkas) Thanks.

I actually had a Peacoat for the whole winter, last year. I survived it, but I think a bomber/parka is a better option. You can buy a wool coat though, just make sure to layer a lot.

NormanF

Reaction score

A wool coat is warm but you want a Canada Goose parka or an N3B parka - with them, you can survive subzero Canadian winters in comfort.

lektrix

Reaction score

A wool coat is warm but you want a Canada Goose parka or an N3B parka - with them, you can survive subzero Canadian winters in comfort.

Can you really compare a $200 polyester-filled Alpha N-3B Parka to a $600 100% goose down-filled Canada Goose parka??? I don't think that Alpha N-3B Parka can withstand -15C weather, but the CG can definitely do -30C...

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can you really compare a $200 polyester-filled Alpha N-3B Parka to a $600 100% goose down-filled Canada Goose parka??? I don't think that Alpha N-3B Parka can withstand -15C weather, but the CG can definitely do -30C...

It depends on the model, I've had 2 (chiliwack and Constable) and neither of them was warm enough for -16C (-25 with wind chill), I had to wear thermal underwear and heavy knits underneath.

lektrix

Reaction score

It depends on the model, I've had 2 (chiliwack and Constable) and neither of them was warm enough for -16C (-25 with wind chill), I had to wear thermal underwear and heavy knits underneath.

That's strange, everyone in Canada swears by the CG...

But just comparing specs, I don't know how or why the Alpha N-3B Parka can even be recommended. I myself want one because I like the look of it, but what if it doesn't keep me warm???

arodriguez

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of any fur on men's winter coats, but I do like some of the parkas. The greatest look for a man in winter is a wool pea coat. They look great on most guys and are very stylish!

Last edited:

Diversification

Reaction score
I am looking for something with some style and that is probably significantly lighter than the majority of the coats being mentioned here. I was wondering what you guys think about these two. I really like the looks of them.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's strange, everyone in Canada swears by the CG...
But just comparing specs, I don't know how or why the Alpha N-3B Parka can even be recommended. I myself want one because I like the look of it, but what if it doesn't keep me warm???

I think you have to buy a Expedition for it be warm enough for -30c, but it all depends on how much time you spend outside and the type of cold.

I'm not skittish as I have worked outside 8 hours a day in all types of weather, but I was fairly underwhelmed with my Constable.

I didn't feel like it was warm enough and I wore it around +-0C where it went from snow to rain which resulted in my clothes underneath getting soaked, it happened again after I had it waterproofed as the Scandinavian agent recommended, so I sold it.

I have a bunch of mates who all have owned several CG coats and all of them have sold them again and gone back to Arc'teryx etc.

HAL 9000

Reaction score

I agree that the CG parka and chiliwack are much warmer than most wool coats, but I find it hard to justify paying 600+ for a puffy looking jacket. I wanted to buy a Wool Trench Coat from Burberry, but too bad the boutique never has what the online web has... Any recommendations for a wool trench?

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
average low of -21.4 in December, and -24 in January here. i haven't experienced it yet since i moved here in may. i might have to buy a warmer jacket 0_0

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads