Winter Coat Thread FW11

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SeanathonHuff, Oct 4, 2011.

1. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

2. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

3. Islander

Islander Senior member

Taiga is good shit if you are hiking, mountaineering, cycling or kayaking. Please don't wear it in the city.

4. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

The N3B parka was originally issued to US Air Force crews in the most extreme environments in the world - they can definitely keep one warm down to -60C. Its a very heavy parka and the snorkel hood will seal out the elements. The one I referred to is USA made by Spiewak, outer shell is nylon, the lining and the batting are polyester and the hood interior is acrylic. Most of these jackets have a synthetic ruff which is useless in extreme cold. The Spiewak comes with genuine coyote fur. That sucker is as warm as a CG. I take it you've never worn a mil-spec N3B? Its the warmest coat ever made.

5. EMY

EMY Senior member

I recently purchased a Patagonia Nano Puff jacket to use as insulation. The coldest I've worn it is was it snowed in NYC so probably like mid 20's (I live next to the Hudson so it's pretty windy). I was not cold wearing that, a t-shirt, and a shell. I've worn it by itself in mid 40's with wind and it's fine. Not cold, but also not warm.

6. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I like Norrona's sleek styling, but they can make Arc'teryx look affordable.

As for those puffers, I really like the Mackage ones (no personal experience) and they're decently priced for a "designer" option

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Bought mine through here http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/ 15% discount on all orders over 150£. :D

I tried on the Fission and my only problem was that it's very boxy and not as fitted as fx Haglöfs Pirtuk or Norrøna Lofoten

8. irbe

irbe Senior member

[​IMG]

Just got this. Don't want to blend in with the plague of CG in Toronto

9. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

You might want to wait a few days before deciding then ;)

10. Islander

Islander Senior member

I have a much older version of the Fission SV. Yes they are worth it, if you want reviews I can point you to some people who use them (for skiing/mountaineering). Neither of these has a stowable hood, iirc. If you are commuting to work/school they would be overkill, it would help if you described how you plan to use them.

11. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

I have been posting here since 2007. I still have, and will express, personal opinions.

Krane was a client of mine for about two weeks. I rebuilt his website and added a shopping section. Now that he has signed off on the project, my relationship with him is done unless/until he contracts me for more work.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

12. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

i live in northern alberta and have a 20 minute walk to and from work (7 am and 4:30 pm) not everyday but a few days a week. apparently it gets up to -50 here in december/january. i don't do any sports in the winter or even really go outside other than to walk to and from work or to a vehicle from my house lol.

13. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

With CG you won't freeze to death if you have to go out in the extreme cold. Better limit the time you spend outdoors to the absolute minimum in the winter. LOL

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

14. Islander

Islander Senior member

Yeah, get something like a Canada Goose. The Fjallraven Cantwell is also an excellent cold weather jacket (the warmest non-technical jacket I've ever owned). I don't really need it in Vancouver.