1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Coat Thread FW11

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SeanathonHuff, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Nil

Nil Senior member

I have the Krane Jonas (I believe that's the model) and it keeps me quite warm in the winter. I'm in Minnesota also, so the cold gets serious around here. No experience with the other two though, but I imagine the CG would be warmer just due to the thickness of the coat itself.

2. AHShadow

AHShadow Senior member

Thanks for the reply! I'll be going to a store tomorrow that carries the Emory Bomber, so I'll comment on the warmth afterwards!

3. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

Any recommendations for outerwear? I have nothing.
    What brands can I check out on eBay/B+S for parkas, jackets, toggle coats, down jackets ~$100? Really want a toggle coat (XS or Small) Are Patagonia good for down jackets?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Patagonia is a good brand. But Canada Goose can be gotten on Gear Trade for as much as 70% off retail, if you don't mind that it won't be in new condition. You can still bring home an excellent down jacket without paying full retail. Also consider Eddie Bauer's B-9, which you may be able to get on sale for Black Friday - they have a sale going on now.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. blairh

blairh Senior member

I can vouch for Patagonia and its quality with down jackets and any of their coats in general. I also like the fact that they are not completely played out like North Face.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

lol

7. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

Sorry, I forgot style nomenclature. There are only 9-10 days of winter in the year 2011, but it's still winter 2011. :paranoia:

Where should I go in NYC to try on Fjallraven? Canada Goose? Also, what's the best place aside from Gear Trade to look for lightly used items?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  8. wwjbd24

wwjbd24 Member

any recommendations: similar to patagonia isthmus, green color, fur hood (preferable). Doesn't have to be too warm, just for walking to class and around the city in the mid-atlantic. I was thinking the alpha industries n3b but it looks almost too thick. preferably under $300? Thanks!

9. wwjbd24

wwjbd24 Member

basically what i'm asking is, is the alpha n3b too warm to wear just to commute and casually? Everyone's talking about it for -20 but is it overkill for 20 degrees?

10. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Reminder that all KRANE outerwear will be 20% off from 10am EST tomorrow to 10pm EST on Saturday. Use code DANIELSAN at checkout.

11. Islander

Islander Senior member

Sounds like you're looking for a variety of things, including a technical jacket and a wool toggle coat. How about a technical toggle coat?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT - not $100, sorry didn't read that part :embar:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  12. blairh

blairh Senior member

Anybody know who makes this coat?

[​IMG]

13. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  14. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Have a few basic pieces from Isaora coming from Isaora, never tried anything from them before

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Does anyone know the Baxter State Parka from LL bean? Although it's out of stock in my size, I'm curious to see what others thought of it or any of the winter jackets that LL bean carry. Their prices are great. I recently bought the Boots!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60850?feat=506673-GN3

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  16. colabear

colabear Senior member

I'm tired of wearing my heavy Dries parka and waxed cotton hunting jacket. For this winter, I want something simple like a woolen plaid coat like what Fassbender is wearing with a nonchalant knit scarf.

[​IMG]

17. blairh

blairh Senior member

Tried it on a few years back. My initial reaction was that it looked and felt cheap. The kind of down coat where you suspect it will leak down and feathers over the years. I could be totally wrong in that assessment. It's seems to be positively reviewed on their website. Other companies offering parkas in the same price range as LL Bean are Eddie Bauer and Lands End.

Perhaps you don't want to spend this much, but for $200 more you can get a Marmot Whitehorse parka. I got one for my dad for Xmas. Waterproof and superior quality to the Baxter. If you are going to rock this parka for potentially 10 years it's worth the extra money IMO.

18. blairh

blairh Senior member

Fassbender looks great here. No doubt.

A parka and a woolen plaid coat are two entirely different looks. Personally I like the protection a parka offers. Even if it is a bit heavy. Especially if it has a real fur hood.

19. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Hmm you make good points, where does your dad live? How did it hold up in the freezing temps?

20. xDonavon

xDonavon Member

I'm looking for the same thing, anyone know?