• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine from Boxes???

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/18/op...sA&oref=slogin
ITALY’S Agriculture Ministry announced this month that some wines that receive the government’s quality assurance label may now be sold in boxes. That’s right, Italian wine is going green, and for some connoisseurs, the sky might as well be falling. But the sky isn’t falling. Wine in a box makes sense environmentally and economically. Indeed, vintners in the United States would be wise to embrace the trend that is slowly gaining acceptance worldwide. Wine in a box has been around for more than 30 years — though with varying quality. The Australians were among the first to popularize it. And hardly a fridge in the south of France, especially this time of year, is complete without a box of rosÃ
00a9.png
. Here in America, by contrast, boxed wine has had trouble escaping a down-market image. But now that wine producers are talking about reducing their carbon footprint — that is, the amount of carbon dioxide emitted in the transportation of wine — selling the beverage in alternative, lighter packaging instead of heavier glass seems like the right thing to do.
I'm as 'green' as anyone, but do we have to give up everything that's good in life? I, for one, will never buy wine from a cardboard tube.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/18/op...sA&oref=slogin

I'm as 'green' as anyone, but do we have to give up everything that's good in life?

I, for one, will never buy wine from a cardboard tube.

It actually keeps longer and you eliminate corkage and the light sensitivity of the bottle. It's really only an image thing. I don't really drink expensive aged wines, I have a few bottles that I've received over the years and I usually wind up regifting them. My sweet spot are Argentinian/Spanish/Italian wines that are usually around $20 or less. My weakness are German Rieslings and Champagne, but with those you can go really high quality for $40-$50. I would drink any of them from a box, not sure if you can do that with champagne though.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
It actually keeps longer and you eliminate corkage and the light sensitivity of the bottle. It's really only an image thing. I don't really drink expensive aged wines, I have a few bottles that I've received over the years and I usually wind up regifting them. My sweet spot are Argentinian/Spanish/Italian wines that are usually around $20 or less. My weakness are German Rieslings and Champagne, but with those you can go really high quality for $40-$50. I would drink any of them from a box, not sure if you can do that with champagne though.
Franzia FTW! Boxed wine is great for removing college girls' clothing.

m_wave

Reaction score
Not a massive fan of Italian wine varietals to begin with, but having a box of drinkable white in the fridge for the odd glass or cooking is great. I would never dream of showing up to a party with a cask though.. BTW we call them "goon bags" in Australia and popularized a party game called "goon of fortune", involving the bag (from inside the box) pegged to a rotating clothes line! http://www.tinyvices.com/goon_bag.html

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Franzia FTW!

Boxed wine is great for removing college girls' clothing.

And you would be an expert on this subject because...?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
And you would be an expert on this subject because...?
Because college is full of so much ***** that even a strike-out king like myself gets lucky every so often.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Not a massive fan of Italian wine varietals to begin with, but having a box of drinkable white in the fridge for the odd glass or cooking is great.
with you there. I lived with my ex gf for like 3 yrs, love a glass of wine with dinner, but unfortunately she drank only white, I drank only red. Option A - dust a bottle each every night and end up shitfaced, or Option B - boxed wine that keeps better. The 'premium' boxed wines in Australia are pretty drinkable - on par with a cheapish bottle. Again - remember the market, a cheapish bottle in Australia is still more-than-decent. So, we always kept a red box and a white box for nightly quaffing, was perfectly adequate.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Because college is full of so much ***** that even a strike-out king like myself gets lucky every so often.

It's not ***** if there's only one hole.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boxed wine is the worst kind of low-rent enterprise.

One just has the image of all these individuals gathering at the formica dining table with their "glassware" and Cheez-Whiz, discussing the latest People magazine while enjoying their boxed wine. It's that frightening.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not so long ago, Dominique Lafon was selling Macon in 3L tubes for $37. Never found one locally, but I'd bet it would be an excellent source for cooking, cocktails, or the odd Wednesday night when two glasses make much more sense than a whole bottle. Lafon doesn't sell crap.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would be the first to grab a box of a nice daily drinker in the way of a Schloss or Loosen Riesling sub-$20 price point, or maybe a drinkable pinot around that price (which I've found only one or two, Siduri Sonoma Coast being one). Anything I plan to cellar though, no thanks.

As a side note, some premium Cali pinot makers have gone to screw caps. Loring pops to mind, as their mailer just arrived yesterday. Others are not putting a foil capsule on, Stefania Wines is an example of this.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
++

Everyone was up in arms over the screw on tops as well, but now they're becoming popular with many wineries.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After suffering a rash of corked bottles recently--including a magnum that was a gift from a "celebrity" restaurateur/wine store owner--I'm far more open to the idea. The bottle and cork is obsolete technology that leads to all kinds of waste. It would be a shame to see it disappear, but I think the magnum poured down the drain might be worse.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
++

Everyone was up in arms over the screw on tops as well, but now they're becoming popular with many wineries.

+1. Enough of the self-important snobbery. Most box wine is nothing to write home about, but it has also come a long way from the Almenden/Franzia that was first in boxes. As M@T said-- it's a practical solution if you like to have say one or two glasses of wine a night. Obviously you can do the rubber suction re-cork business as well though.

There's no magic to wine being in a glass bottle. There is plenty of undrinkable **** that is in a glass bottle with a cork.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads