• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Is My Scalp Still Getting Itchy?

MacFanBoyy

Reaction score
I have medium length wavy hair, maybe about 3-4 inches long.

I use Bumble & Bumble Cocoa Shampoo & Conditioner about 1-2 x a week and use Nizoral dandruff shampoo every couple weeks.

But my hair still gets very itchy. I tend to notice it mostly at night. I don't really use product n my hair. Maybe 1-2 a week I will use B&B Sumotech or Sumowax.

But I end up getting really flaky hair and its super annoying.

Any suggestions?

I shower 1-2 x a day with just water most of the time.

blackjack

Reaction score
Try using a vinegar or apple cider vinegar rinse. Google for directions. Just make sure it does not get in your eyes or you'll be sorry when it stings.

Or, apply a paste of baking soda and water, leave it on for a while and then wash/rinse as usual.

The vinegar route is easier IMO.

MacFanBoyy

Reaction score
Try using a vinegar or apple cider vinegar rinse. Google for directions. Just make sure it does not get in your eyes or you'll be sorry when it stings.

Or, apply a paste of baking soda and water, leave it on for a while and then wash/rinse as usual.

The vinegar route is easier IMO.

Thanks ill look into that. When I use the nizoral, or sometimes B&B tonic shampoo, my hair feels very thin and light, kinda frizzy and fluffy and i hate it, which is why I just use water most of the time.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the above and use the Nizoral frequently, like every other day until the flaking and itching ceases. Apply it to your scalp and leave it on for several minutes. Vigorously massage it in. Alternatively, try a different dandruff shampoo - this one should work well and provide a lot of relief. Menthol is going to make your scalp feel a lot better.

http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-t-gel-shampoo-stubborn-itch-control/qxp14479

Use a conditioner with Tea Tree Oil and mint/menthol to moisturize the scalp.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=nPtHTrOTJ46OmQW507TIBg&ved=0CEEQ8wIwCA

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=C_xHTsneEKbYmAW05OniBg&ved=0CH8Q8wIwCA

Take Zinc supplements for a few weeks, but do not take them on an empty stomach, take it with food. Otherwise it'll make you nauseous.

In the evening use a dry scalp treatment with menthol in it to stop the itch. You should see big improvements after about a week.

http://texasbeautysupplies.com/sbb251.html

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd get one with Menthol in it as well as Tea Tree, it'll cut down on the itching sensation a lot. However, if you're set on Paul Mitchell, this stuff will leave your scalp feeling tingly, it just won't address the underlying skin condition. The whole trick is to eliminate the fungus (yes, it's a fungus called Pityrosporum or Malassezia Globosa) that's on your scalp with a good shampoo like Nizoral or the T-Gel stuff I posted above and to cool down the skin irritation with menthol and tee tree so it stops feeling itchy.

Last edited:

MacFanBoyy

Reaction score
I'd get one with Menthol in it as well as Tea Tree, it'll cut down on the itching sensation a lot. However, if you're set on Paul Mitchell, this stuff will leave your scalp feeling tingly, it just won't address the underlying skin condition. The whole trick is to eliminate the fungus (yes, it's a fungus called Pityrosporum or Malassezia Globosa) that's on your scalp with a good shampoo like Nizoral or the T-Gel stuff I posted above and to cool down the skin irritation with menthol and tee tree so it stops feeling itchy.

Ahh just came back from the store. Ended up getting T-gel original formula (couldn't find the extra itchy one went to 3 different stores) and got the PM tea tree shampoo and conditioner.

I used the tea tree conditioner but can take the shampoo back because it wasn't used. Should I also get another standalone tea tree oil?

Should I also get a standalone tea tree product?

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shampoo up twice during the shower. Then apply the conditioner to your hair with a wide toothed comb or brush so it'll get onto your scalp. Let it stay in your hair for the duration of the shower then rinse it out.

I'd get peppermint oil or menthol oil instead (Whole Foods)

hazelnice

Reaction score
I also wonder about that itchy scalp! I feel sorry for my sister, even though she only use anti-dandruff shampoo still it stinks :fu:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those suggestions might lessen symptoms, but throwing multiple treatments at an undiagnosed problem that didn't respond to a standard option (Nizoral) is not a great method. It could be seborrheic dermatitis or another condition, something to see a dermatologist about.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those suggestions might lessen symptoms, but throwing multiple treatments at an undiagnosed problem that didn't respond to a standard option (Nizoral) is not a great method. It could be seborrheic dermatitis or another condition, something to see a dermatologist about.

Yes, if the home remedies don't work. If they do work, then he's saved upwards of $150 on a Dermatologist visit (depending where he lives)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he has good insurance, he might end up spending less on a dermatologist visit and probably a prescription than than the cost of a few home remedies. Also, there is a greater chance of a cure or remission with a prescription product than anything over-the-counter.

Elusive

Reaction score
Before you do any of that get your hormones checked there are various chemicals related to testosterone that cause this and some inexpensive remedies

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads