• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does your college experience sound much better than mine?

v.freeman

Reaction score
I chose the prospect of financial security over partying ****** off. All has gone according to plan thus far, although I won't be able to tell you if it was worth it for another ten years or so. And yes, my college experience has been relatively unspectacular.

I'd have to agree with the person above me. The people that are ridiculously smart, good looking, always got the girl, and have great jobs lined up while partying all through college are very rare exceptions. Mere mortals have to make sacrifices, especially when you have no safety net to fall back on after graduation.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that my bros have come to my rescue when I needed a place to stay over.

Thank goodness I'm cool with the RAs and security guards.

PS - **** commuting.

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Those are the exception rather than the norm. If I had to tell my kid how he should go about college I would tell him to bust his ass off and get into a bulge bracket bank. If he has enough time left over to go out once a week, that's good and expected and normal. But not to the extent where he misses classes and stays in hungover on a monday morning. Thing is, partying all night is easy when you're baller and popping an easy $300 per bottle but not when making the rent is your biggest worry. Hooking up in college for me was always an offshoot of the impromptu study sessions and mingling before class, not the ubiquitous keggers.
And your kid, if he's of above-average intelligence, will probably ignore you and still do well. I'm a double-concentration English major with a philosophy minor at a pretty good private school, party regularly, and have a 3.9. I've made a ****-ton of connections, have at least four or five faculty members that will bend over backwards for me, and am putting off finishing a ten-page research grant proposal. And before you give me the "Oh you're an English major" bullshit, I work a hell of a lot harder than most of my poli-sci/business/econ major friends. They're just lazy and procrastinate and then ***** about how hard their classes are. It's totally possible to manage your time (I'm putting in at least 3 hours of work a night, plus most of the day Sunday, on average -- not including finals/papers/etc.) and still have a blast and go out more than "once a week."

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
And your kid, if he's of above-average intelligence, will probably ignore you and still do well. I'm a double-concentration English major with a philosophy minor at a pretty good private school, party regularly, and have a 3.9. I've made a ****-ton of connections, have at least four or five faculty members that will bend over backwards for me, and am putting off finishing a ten-page research grant proposal. And before you give me the "Oh you're an English major" bullshit, I work a hell of a lot harder than most of my poli-sci/business/econ major friends. They're just lazy and procrastinate and then ***** about how hard their classes are.
It's totally possible to manage your time (I'm putting in at least 3 hours of work a night, plus most of the day Sunday, on average -- not including finals/papers/etc.) and still have a blast and go out more than "once a week."

if I jerk you off do you think I could keep some of your alpha essence?

Martin80

Reaction score
Back to topic... I'm still in college but will soon go abroad with studyadvisor.com. Until now college has really been kind of lame. Had to study a lot, didn't go to parties that often.. but I hope that when I am in the U.K., things will change!

Platform

Reaction score
Echo this. I go to a top school and many of my friends have taken on difficult majors, played varsity sports, secured lovely jobs for next year, and still managed to go out 2-3 times a week their entire tenure here. It's definitely possible for more people than you'd think...

College is supposedly the best years of your life and now, reflecting on my seven semesters so far, I can see why. Could I have sacrificed some partying for a slightly higher GPA? Definitely. But to me, the tradeoff isn't worth it.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
College was ******* awesome. I lived like I was a viking having just come ashore. I read some good books and didn't sweat the grades. In my spare time --which was most of the time-- I learned to make pots, appreciate jazz, wine, and cigars. Plus I rowed club crew and became president of the sailing club.

And then I came in LAST PLACE in my graduating class!

That's right: dead ******* last. Do you know how hard that is to do while still graduating with the class you came in with? Any imbalanced dickhead can be valedictorian. I contend that you have to be a real bro to make it to last place with out going over the edge. That's been my selling point ever since.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
And your kid, if he's of above-average intelligence, will probably ignore you and still do well. I'm a double-concentration English major with a philosophy minor at a pretty good private school, party regularly, and have a 3.9. I've made a ****-ton of connections, have at least four or five faculty members that will bend over backwards for me, and am putting off finishing a ten-page research grant proposal. And before you give me the "Oh you're an English major" bullshit, I work a hell of a lot harder than most of my poli-sci/business/econ major friends. They're just lazy and procrastinate and then ***** about how hard their classes are.
It's totally possible to manage your time (I'm putting in at least 3 hours of work a night, plus most of the day Sunday, on average -- not including finals/papers/etc.) and still have a blast and go out more than "once a week."

You will soon learn that humanities professors as "connections" are really quite worthless.

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
You will soon learn that humanities professors as "connections" are really quite worthless.

I just need to make sure that I have solid recommendations set up. I use "connections" loosely.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

His metric for difficult majors is also "political science, economics, and business".

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm with OP. Didn't find college all that great of an experience. Part of it is because I did my first two years at a community college before transferring to a University, but college was never all that. Sure I got laid a few time and had some fun, but overall I don't have that many found memories of it. I can honestly say I had much more fun in my late twenties then I ever did in college.

Jace

Reaction score
Ditto on finding twenties to be more fun than college: more freedom, more grown-up activities. College did have its bright spots though, mainly being super easy to meet people.

darnelled

Reaction score
College was ******* awesome. I lived like I was a viking having just come ashore. I read some good books and didn't sweat the grades. In my spare time --which was most of the time-- I learned to make pots, appreciate jazz, wine, and cigars. Plus I rowed club crew and became president of the sailing club.

And then I came in LAST PLACE in my graduating class!

That's right: dead ******* last. Do you know how hard that is to do while still graduating with the class you came in with? Any imbalanced dickhead can be valedictorian. I contend that you have to be a real bro to make it to last place with out going over the edge. That's been my selling point ever since.

Ha ha!! I love it.

You win my vote for post of the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads