• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you dress the way you do?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have a vision of myself. I'm always better dressed, in better shape, and thus better looking in my mind. I'm chasing the dragon and clawing at the walls as I fall down the rabbit hole.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It provides a way to rebel against suburban slob conformity.

Because I believe that mass production of cheap clothes is just one aspect of the commoditization of nearly everything in life- there must be a way back to hand work, fine craft, being respected and paid.

Because the people who like interesting clothes almost always also like interesting art, or cars, or music, or books.

In the end, I like to stay warm as the storms roll into Chicago land, and jeans are practical for dealing with 6 inches of snow.

Last edited:

Adarael

Reaction score
Once upon a time, there was a girl who I went to college with. We didn't have more than one or two classes together, but we shared a lot of the same friends, so would run into her about once every two months, three at the most. One day I got asked to help out with a film project a friend of mine was working on, and behold: the aquaintence was the lead actress in this project. Being a vaguely (or more than vaguely, to be honest) self-absorbed actress from SoCal, she tried to talk to everyone about the shoot, the lighting, the location, whatever. I asked how she was doing... and she asked if we'd met. It didn't seem to be a ploy - she honestly didn't remember the ten or twelve times we'd met, including twice at her own house.

I decided then and there that I was not content to blend into the background. I wanted people to be able to see me and remember, "Oh yes! That's him!" And that was that.

As with the above posters, there's certainly an element of vanity & personal gratification to the whole affair. But I feel that at the root of it, my decision to dress better than most people I encounter is because I have - we all have - an image of ourselves in our mind. We might see ourselves as mousy slobs, if we're not self-confident. We might see ourselves as athletes when we are out of shape. I see myself as someone to whom style, poise, and appearance matter. I know people will remember me for what I say and do, but I want people to remember what I looked like when I said it and did it.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life looks good when you do!

People treat you better when you are reasonably well dressed.

In the work place you get more respect/cooperation if you are well and appropriately dressed.

How you look matters - work it to whatever effect you choose for your purposes!

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I2oLC.jpg
BpKul.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing quite like waking up face down on the pavement to settle one's choice of clothing for the day.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

There is nothing quite like waking up face down on the pavement to settle one's choice of clothing for the day.

I wear whichever shirt doesn't have lipstick on the collar, puke on the placket or cigarette holes on the sleeves. It's usually a short list.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. When I'm dressed well women don't clutch their purses as I pass and I don't get followed when in stores.
2. I feel better when I know I look good.
3. I like nice things.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm not confused with the common plebs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads