1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you dress the way you do?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holdfast, Jan 20, 2012.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I like this outlook, and particularly the last (non-bullet) point. I like to dress in a way that both references and subverts the traditional style in my field, which as it is now long gone, is almost a radical act albeit a playful one. I enjoy well-made things and I want to support real craft. I also just love looking good.

However I can't justify the expenditure to just go out to buy 'the best', and I don't want the dullness of the 'adequate', so I am increasingly careful about buying quality vintage, from small manufacturers who don't charge 'fashion' prices, and in sales, while saving for bespoke.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is the first time in my life I agree with everything you said.

3. thefinedandy

thefinedandy Member

I dress in a elegant way because of

a) Aesthetics
    b) Vanity

4. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

Why, thank you sir.

How could you have read any of my posts when I am on your ignore list?

5. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

Originally a few years back I just had the thought, "I had better start dressing a little less casually for work". It snowballed.

I think a lot of people are overtly or subtly referring to a sociological construct known as impression management. This is definitely a conscious factor for me. On one hand I like the way that it leads people to see me and in a more backwards way I like that it nicely covers up the fact that I can be very disorganized and anti-establishment.

The objective of impression management has definitley been evolving into aesthetics as well... For a long time I used to be of the mind that the physical plane was of very little consequence and that the internal world was all-meaningful, while now I am coming to see the two as inseperable. I did/do struggle with the fact that aesthetic beuaty and craftsmanship are so enmeshed with capital ideologies, but I am getting past the point of being hung-up on constructs.

I also used to wrestle with the idea that I was becoming quite vain, but I am starting to see this as one of societies constructs and not necessarily my own... There is quote that says something to the effect of "All is vanity, until we learn to see it as such, and only then we realize that it is not"...

Interesting question.

1 person likes this.
  6. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    This young thread delivers.

7. thefinedandy

thefinedandy Member

I think people who dress elegantly tend to overemphasize that "impression managment" thing. Clothes in the western world are not that important as we would like them to be and as they used to be in the past. Nowadays I prefer to think that I dress for myself rather than for others.

1 person likes this.
  8. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I guess I was tired of my hideous image. I never cared about clothing at all, I'd wear ugly t-shirts and jeans, and I was huge (304 pounds). I just didn't want to look like a careless fat teenager anymore. So the way I dress now is just part of a radical change... and I believe I do it for myself. The ability to look at a mirror without being ashamed feels just great.

Now, people around me say I look like an old man because I'm wearing a pocket square, or pants at my waist... but I couldn't care less [​IMG] what do they know...

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

To preserve tradition that:

1. Your generation killed (generalizing ages here of course):

[​IMG]

and...

2. My generation then put the nail into metaphoric coffin of:

[​IMG]

We're not all like that. Some of us actually have...

...hmm, how do I express it...

Taste. Style.

Otherwise, it comes down to the fact that it makes me feel good. That I can dress in a manner that suits a tradition that is sadly no longer the norm, yet be able to express myself through creativity.

Sets me, and many of us here on MC, apart from others.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Why? To make me feel proud to be the man I am. To differentiate myself from the profanum vulgus (quod odi et arceo).

11. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

These.

12. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

I read every response here, there are others I hope will respond because I have become aware of their signature style. I am an academic, and just about everyone around me (other academics, students, technicians, people on the street) all dress pretty much the same way. Anything I put a little thought into will be shoulders above everyone else. When required, I can dress appropriately for the situation, in an SF approved way (thanks to your guys help). At other times:

1) To wear something that is both part of the norm (sports coat, button shirt, jeans) and outside the norm (the jeans are pink), in such a comfortable way that it appears to be the most natural thing in the world. The end result should be "I wouldn't of thought of that, but it works", and leave the observer with feeling that they have seen something interesting, as opposed to something freaky. I really don't think anyone has ever laughed at by outfits, rather it has brought something pleasurable to their day. It also expresses a self-confidence that I can wear anything, do anything. My research is probably best described as novel, and certainly my clothing should also carry that same message.

2) I am single and 60, I am currently seeing seven women who range in age from 42 to 62, but am totally at home mingling with the twenty something crowd. To these women, I am something different. Studies in fruit flies have shown a reproductive advantage to flies that are different from the rest of the males. If I can wear pink or purple jeans, dress like Sherlock Holmes at a wine tasting the the city, or wear my Stetson or Bowler without the least bit of self consciousness, then I can also go up to any women, no matter how intimidatingly beautiful with the attitute that there is no one else she should be wasting her time with.

3) It is also my little joke on society. I only wear the most expensive brands, purchased used on Ebay. If they find me drunk, disoriented, or dead someday and they are trying to figure out who I am, it will be like Peter Sellers in Bring There, in which he was only a butler, but because of his clothing, they assumed he was the upper 1%.

13. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Well I wear scrubs to work everyday, but every once in a while we have a meeting and I get the chance to dress up. In retrospect, I keep buying clothes, but rarely every wear them :fu:

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

So the P stands for pimp, huh?

15. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

No, just trying to find the right one. Probably trying to compensate for something.

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

If anything, it's underemphasis.

No, there will not be overt judgements like, "that man is wearing a black tie with his tailcoat, he must be a servant". That's pretty much gone- there are drastically fewer explicit norms built around specific articles of clothing. But dressing nicely still does subconsciously send messages, and that matters.

It's 2 AM, deserted city street. A black guy in a three sizes too large hoodie, sideways ballcap, sagged jeans and sunglasses is approaching you. What are you thinking?

It's 2 AM, deserted city street. A black guy wearing a light gray suit, loosened tie, raincoat, and holding a briefcase, is approaching you. What are you thinking?

Clothes matter. They're the message you send to the outside world. The first contact, and in many cases, only contact the bulk of people in the world have with you is visual. Before you ever get a chance to convince them of who you are by talking, your appearance sends a lot of signals. Being aware of that is step one. Step two is being conscious of what signals you're sending. Step three is learning to manage them.

17. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

+ 1

...... or tune or subvert a message already (sadly) there

Etta James RIP

18. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Many of the sentiments expressed so far (i.e. in the sea of schlubs surrounding me in the office, you get respect and sometimes even admiration when you put effort into your dress -- even in the very casual office environment) I completely agree with.

Since I found SF and totally changed over my wardrobe, I feel more comfortable & confident in my own skin. And this week at our annual meeting I won the Super Bowl of internal awards at my company (650 employees.) It took a lot of hard work/sweat on my part earning it...BUT I can't help but credit you guys at least in part thanks to advice you've given to me actively by answering my dumb & ignorant questions and passively by giving me the archived advice in searchable form....in helping me create my own look. (and, in turn, the attitude to get it done)

Autistic poster: Touching. My son just got diagnosed. I can't pretend to feel your pain, but I can totally see how your dress helps you navigate the world! More power to you.

One other point that hasn't been brought up: Once I realized that most clothes today are ill-fitting, cheap chinese disposable crap and I had been a sucker victimized by really well put together marketing campaigns (Chaps! Dockers! Claiborne!), dressing well -- and acquiring some significant percentage of my new wardrobe for next to nothing from thrift stores, because most of the customers are similarly suckered by the same marketing campaigns and pass over the near-mint Brooks Brothers/Loro Piana wool pants in favor or the threadbare Chaps! -- verges on counterculture coolness. It's like a secret club.

19. lostron

lostron Senior member

I dress well to let others know that I have good taste, success, and that I am not to be messed with...

jk

20. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I was in Rome 10 years ago and saw an 85 year old man dressed in a beautifully tailored and elegant suit, tie, cane and hat. Both my wife and I watched him for a good 30 minutes as he shopped for a tie. I decided to change my mode of dressed based on that 30 minute visual.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.