• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people choose to avoid alcohol other than medical reasons?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
"Muslims shocked to find Cookies Have Traces of Alchohol": (kinda humorous)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3412749.ece

Why is that humorous? Suppose it was a snack that Jewish people discovered contained tiny bits of pork?

I'm Roman Catholic BTW so it's not like I'm being touchy because I'm Muslim (in case anyone is thinking that).

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can explain the humor behind finding out that a simple cookie contains minute bits of alcohol (or pork), and being "shocked" by it. It's a ******* cookie. The amount of alchohol in it is minute.. and probably mostly burnt off in processing. The trace amounts of alchohol are not going to be harmful to the body. It's a cookie. They are "shocked"? Isn't that a bit overplaying it?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can explain the humor behind finding out that a simple cookie contains minute bits of alcohol (or pork), and being "shocked" by it. It's a ******* cookie. The amount of alchohol in it is minute.. and probably mostly burnt off in processing. The trace amounts of alchohol are not going to be harmful to the body. It's a cookie. They are "shocked"? Isn't that a bit overplaying it?

Maybe but obviously people are more than a little bit touchy (understatement of the millennium) about religion.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
They see it has harmful to the body. That's against the Quran.

Actually, it's because it's mind altering, thus distracting from ones duty to god. All substances that alter conscious are banned in hardcore Islam for that reason, including cigarettes and coffee.

In slightly less extreme Islam, things like coffee and cigarettes are acceptable, because they are only minimally mind altering, if mind altering at all.

I too find this hilarious, because its only VERY strict (I.E. extremists) that generally feel this way.

Many, if not most, or all, of the head Imams said alcohol is acceptable to use in cooking, non-ingested products, and what not, so long as it is all burned off, in the case of cooking, or is not metabolized by the body in a mind altering fashion. Since after cooking there is very little, if any, alcohol still remaining, its not considered to be anyway similar to actually drinking alcohol.

Burzum

Reaction score
Alcohol is not the problem - it's an individuals' behaviour with alcohol that can certainly cause the problem.

Myself I drank to excess when I was in my late teen's had a mild case of alcoholic poisoning twice can't say that felt good.

Had quite a few 'mates' at the time during in the uni/party years who had stomach pumps due to excessive/stupid drinking. But the two often go together with young people.

Since I prefer scotch, barely like beer and can't stand wine and champagne. Drinking excessively wasn't easy on tbe budget or the kidney's.

Of course drinking in moderation is the key as with all things provided you actually know what moderation is and can exercise it. I never could I always kept drinking till I was rendered into a state of coma. Certainly not a smart or clever thing to do.

Since like most I have relatives who just drank that way and did so through most of their adult years - I saw the damage it did to them.

One Univeristy mate developed diabetes through his drinking but he was a full blown alcoholic.

Also when I got drunk I got the attitude I can do what ever want and no one can stop me, which usually was the case. Again not clever behaviour and can lead to serious trouble, fortunately never got that for me.

So by 22 after 4 years of semi regularly drinking just decided to go without because it would of just gone bad places for me most likely. Certainly some mates were relieved by that decision because they were getting tired of it - and I can't blame them.

But by my 26 I started drinking here and there again - same thing happened I had to go to excess only this time I had a personality shift - and would get a mean and vindictive attitude. Certainly not something that makes you welcome in other people's lives. Alcohol wasn't at fault there - I was! I don't buy into the oh the drink makes him that way BS cop out reasoning. So cut out the drinking again.

Then by 30 or so I just lost interest and alcohol holds no interest for me. It's only now these days I can enjoy a couple of beers at a concert and just stop there and not get the 'man the f..k up attitude drink one more and again one more etc'.

Although at work shows and out with some of my more recent friends I can't help but laugh when they are getting tanked I'm sipping water or OJ. Most of them think I'm tame and a quiet boy, if they only knew....but if they did then I probably wouldn't have a job..lol

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burzum
Alcohol is not the problem - it's an individuals' behaviour with alcohol that can certainly cause the problem.

Myself I drank to excess when I was in my late teen's had a mild case of alcoholic poisoning twice can't say that felt good.

Had quite a few 'mates' at the time during in the uni/party years who had stomach pumps due to excessive/stupid drinking. But the two often go together with young people.

Since I prefer scotch, barely like beer and can't stand wine and champagne. Drinking excessively wasn't easy on tbe budget or the kidney's.

Of course drinking in moderation is the key as with all things provided you actually know what moderation is and can exercise it. I never could I always kept drinking till I was rendered into a state of coma. Certainly not a smart or clever thing to do.

Since like most I have relatives who just drank that way and did so through most of their adult years - I saw the damage it did to them.

One Univeristy mate developed diabetes through his drinking but he was a full blown alcoholic.

Also when I got drunk I got the attitude I can do what ever want and no one can stop me, which usually was the case. Again not clever behaviour and can lead to serious trouble, fortunately never got that for me.

So by 22 after 4 years of semi regularly drinking just decided to go without because it would of just gone bad places for me most likely. Certainly some mates were relieved by that decision because they were getting tired of it - and I can't blame them.

But by my 26 I started drinking here and there again - same thing happened I had to go to excess only this time I had a personality shift - and would get a mean and vindictive attitude. Certainly not something that makes you welcome in other people's lives. Alcohol wasn't at fault there - I was! I don't buy into the oh the drink makes him that way BS cop out reasoning. So cut out the drinking again.

Then by 30 or so I just lost interest and alcohol holds no interest for me. It's only now these days I can enjoy a couple of beers at a concert and just stop there and not get the 'man the f..k up attitude drink one more and again one more etc'.

Although at work shows and out with some of my more recent friends I can't help but laugh when they are getting tanked I'm sipping water or OJ. Most of them think I'm tame and a quiet boy, if they only knew....but if they did then I probably wouldn't have a job..lol

MAN THE **** UP!!!!!!
censored.gif
censored.gif
censored.gif

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
because they like the trembling of their hands in the morning?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
because they like the trembling of their hands in the morning?

you mean they don't, slick?

My hands never tremble, even after the biggest hangover (or not that I remember at least)

turboman808

Reaction score
I really am having a hard time following the thinking here. Have anyone ever just taken a step back and said "Hey maybe some people just don't like to drink."

If I said I don't trust anyone who does snort coke people would think I am out of my mind. Drugs are drugs no matter how social acceptable they are.

I don't mind getting drunk time to time. Drinking socially I don't like. If I drink I am getting hammered. I get drunk maybe once or twice a year. I do harder drugs maybe once every couple of years.

Jrslm_Stylin

Reaction score
I totally respect those who don't drink and order soft drinks at bars, even as I knock a couple (rarely more) back. Being hungover is damn awful (and btw, I drink top-shelf "poison" and consume lots of water, and found this may help on the margins, but the biggest hangover factor is how much you drink/how drunk you become).

I think I'll respectfully disagree with those who say seeing someone drunk reveals their "real" personality. With people I've been with, they may relax after a drink or two, but being truly drunk makes them foolish and clumsy, with increasingly weak reasoning--I can't say it's ever given me deep insights into someone's "soul." I think being in stressful situations is often very revealing of character, while drunkeness is normally indicative of trying to escape something, consciously or otherwise.

While I know plenty of people who don't drink for health, I limit myself to 1-2 simply because I hate waking up with a clouded head, and the veiled apprehension/guilt that most people I know who get drunk bring to work the day after a party. Frankly as someone who has to manage a lot of responsibility, I wouldn't feel comfortable delegating key tasks or assigning sensitive duties to someone I knew was drunk the previous evening.

Al this isn't to say drinking is inherently a bad thing (as mentioned, I occasionally drink), but rather to challenge the assumption that those who don't drink aren't to be trusted, etc., which I find an uninformed view that doesn't square with what I've seen in the professional world.

Jrslm_Stylin

Reaction score
I'd only add that, while I've met some great women in bars/clubs (not the best place to meet, but sometimes it works out), I can't say I have met any decent women who find drunk men attractive, or who enjoy to get sloppy drunk themselves (esp. once out of college, when they're through acting out by drinking). I'm sure some of our fine community here can cite exceptions, but the women I know who regularly get drunk are unattractive and often are riding the self-destruction train. And since others have brought up the issue of trust in this context, I can't say I'd have any trust for a woman who would start things off with a drunk guy. Either she has an ulterior motive or she think she's found a "kindred spirit" with similar alcohol needs--in both cases a problem.

PolePosition

Reaction score
I don't drink alcohol. I've drank various alcoholic beverages on multiple occasions, so I do have experience with it. I stay away from it and avoid social situations in which the main activity is consumption of alcohol, as I find myself awfully bored when listening to half-witted drunk people attempt to converse. That being said, I have nothing against people that are responsible drinkers, I just don't like being in that type of atmosphere.

My reasons for alcohol abstinence:
1) Tastes awful. I've tried many types of liquors and I can honestly say they all taste like crap. Most of what I've tried has been agreed upon by the general public as "good" but just isn't my cup of tea.
2) I don't like any substance altering my nervous system. The only drugs I allow to enter my body are caffeine from the occasional coke or Starbucks, or ibuprofen for when I have a headache.
3) I have enough hobbies and things that burn holes in my wallet. Alcohol is one less thing I want to spend money on.
4) After working with chemicals in a laboratory on a regular basis, the last thing I want to do is put any of that crap in my body. Ethanol, the alcohol in beverages, is most certainly not something I want inside of me, after dealing with it in labs.
5) I'm a Christian, and while not being one that follows the teachings of the Bible to a T, the Bible does condemn drunkenness, so I'd rather not set myself up to fall. Gives me one less thing to worry about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads