• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people choose to avoid alcohol other than medical reasons?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just remembered an appropriate proverb
different strokes for different folks.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alcohol, on the contrary than thought, reduces serotonine making you more depressed once the high has gone.

So if you are a depressive you must avoid it. Not everyone knows that.

It also reduces testosterone and muscular tone.

freeAgent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
You might not realize how many people do not drink but don't necessarily telecast it to everyone. We're not talking about the obvious ones - Mormons, devout Muslims, wacky Christians, recovered alcoholics who want everyone to know ... and right down to pregnant women and under-age kids.

I found out there are quite a few who always appear to be drinking but aren't. Either they're drinking a tonic (without the gin) or even if they have a beer that's been handed to them, they're not drinking from it, and ditch it when no one is looking. If caught or cornered in a formal dinner situation where wine might be served, they might bow out explaining that they had a rough night and are on the wagon for now. Unless you're observing them with a purpose, chances are you'd never know. Sleight of hand goes a long way.

I wouldn't say I don't drink (because I do), but I almost never drink to the point of drunkenness, even when people are getting drunk around me. I never pretend to be drinking when I'm not, but I'll usually just quietly stop or greatly slow down the pace after two drinks.

Some part of that is due to me being on a medication which makes me sick for days after getting drunk (nausea lasting 2-2.5 days later). However, I also just don't really enjoy being drunk. I'm ok being slightly tipsy, but much more than that just gets unpleasant and/or just makes me tired. All of my friends are cool with me drinking less than them. It works out for all of us, because it means I can drive people around on a night out.

lbcgav

Reaction score
My favorite lines on this topic:

But what are these that from the outer murk
Of dense mephitic vapours creeping lurk
To breathe foul airs from that corrupted well
Which oozes slime along the floor of Hell?
These are the stricken palsied brood of sin
In whose vile veins, poor, poisonous and thin,
Decoctions of embittered hatreds crawl:
These are the Water-Drinkers, cursed all!
Hilaire Belloc
from Heroic Poem in Praise of Wine

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like to get drunk, and I don't like to be around people who need to get drunk to connect w/others

**** messes up my workout routine too. I'm too handsome for a beer gut

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads