• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people choose to avoid alcohol other than medical reasons?

slaani

Reaction score
I avoid alcohol because I didn't get straight A's this semester. I did alright, but if I'm not paying for the entirety of my schooling, what right do I have to squander any part of it and then ask for more? Nightlife is canned until I'm at a point where I can accomplish all the goals I set for myself. Anything less would be cheating the people who have given to me.

That said, people who fear a glass of beer or refuse to get at least a "carry-on" drink so as not to be a drag on the party generally do so as a result of an irritating character flaw -- sXe chumps being the prime example.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slaani
I avoid alcohol because I didn't get straight A's this semester. I did alright, but if I'm not paying for the entirety of my schooling, what right do I have to squander any part of it and then ask for more? Nightlife is canned until I'm at a point where I can accomplish all the goals I set for myself. Anything less would be cheating the people who have given to me.

That said, people who fear a glass of beer or refuse to get at least a "carry-on" drink so as not to be a drag on the party generally do so as a result of an irritating character flaw -- sXe chumps being the prime example.

Does getting straight As actually mean that you're getting more out of your experience though? </devil's advocate>

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Musiclover
The herb is the greatest in Northern California. That's why I wouldn't drink.

Yeah if I lived anywhere near Mendocino or Humboldt I wouldn't have any money left for alcohol.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Utah, the vast majority of people believe that, if a person drinks even the smallest amount of alcohol, he or she is an alcoholic and will go to hell.

That said, I'm glad we're finally getting a brew pub in town!

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Here in Utah, the vast majority of people believe that, if a person drinks even the smallest amount of alcohol, he or she is an alcoholic and will go to hell.

That said, I'm glad we're finally getting a brew pub in town!

Wow I know a few people like that...Don't know how you can tolerate them!

Musiclover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Yeah if I lived anywhere near Mendocino or Humboldt I wouldn't have any money left for alcohol.

It's not only in Mendo or Humboldt, which are great places. It's all over Nor Cal: Oakland, San Fran, Sacramento, San Jose, Redding, Chico, Napa, Auburn, Santa Rosa, and every small town throughout. Northern California is a great place to live as a result.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehe I've never had a problem getting top-quality anywhere north of San Francisco. of course it does help that I have two very very close friends who live in Eureka and Arcata :)

The only alcohol I choose to avoid is tequila. Nothing good comes from me drinking tequila. I have some very scary/funny tequila stories, most of which I don't remember first hand and people who witnessed the night had to fill me in on what happened.

christinedaae

Reaction score
I'll add

I am a stone cold alcoholic. no questions asked. It is not possible for me to hold my liquor or just drink beer or take any other precautions that other people can take, without me taking 'it there'.

i also run a pretty successful web development business, and even did when i was drinking.

I fincally came to the conclusion I was not going to get anywhere in my life witha lcohol in it, i love it too much. Also, I just knew I couldn't' hold my liquor or i could nto drink like other pepole.

I take ad rink after work on Tuesday and you are liable not to see me until saturday

You know you are stuck when you want to stop and can't. That's when you know you are an alcoholic. nothing wrong wtih dirnking at all. it's great. it's hwen you need to or want to stop and can't.

take weed. i tote every once in a while but ti's not that big a deal to me. you tell me i can't smoke weed *******. just no weed smoking going on. not a big loss to me.

it took me 2 years to finally stop drinking once and for all.

I did not get hangovers I get DT's, bad ones. I drank when i woke up, I kept wine coolers in my office at work or vodka becuase it doesn't smell.. my frig was filled with nothing but liquor. I literarly drank every day. not just like a drink.. my alcohol bill was like 1000 a month.

I'd love nothing more than to down some 100 proof vodka right now but I know what happens when I do that. nothing good happens. i don't mellow out, i get plastered, run cars into trees, get kicked out of bars, end up in different states and dont' know how i got there (true story).

I never was a bottom drunk, I make well over 100k a year. but i have no doubt i would have become one had i kept drinking.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by christinedaae
I'll add

I am a stone cold alcoholic. no questions asked. It is not possible for me to hold my liquor or just drink beer or take any other precautions that other people can take, without me taking 'it there'.

i also run a pretty successful web development business, and even did when i was drinking.

I fincally came to the conclusion I was not going to get anywhere in my life witha lcohol in it, i love it too much. Also, I just knew I couldn't' hold my liquor or i could nto drink like other pepole.

I take ad rink after work on Tuesday and you are liable not to see me until saturday

You know you are stuck when you want to stop and can't. That's when you know you are an alcoholic. nothing wrong wtih dirnking at all. it's great. it's hwen you need to or want to stop and can't.

take weed. i tote every once in a while but ti's not that big a deal to me. you tell me i can't smoke weed *******. just no weed smoking going on. not a big loss to me.

it took me 2 years to finally stop drinking once and for all.

I did not get hangovers I get DT's, bad ones. I drank when i woke up, I kept wine coolers in my office at work or vodka becuase it doesn't smell.. my frig was filled with nothing but liquor. I literarly drank every day. not just like a drink.. my alcohol bill was like 1000 a month.

I'd love nothing more than to down some 100 proof vodka right now but I know what happens when I do that. nothing good happens. i don't mellow out, i get plastered, run cars into trees, get kicked out of bars, end up in different states and dont' know how i got there (true story).

I never was a bottom drunk, I make well over 100k a year. but i have no doubt i would have become one had i kept drinking.

Good for you! Do you go to AA?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't drink today for quite a few reasons, not the least of which is the wreckage I caused because of my drinking and using. That wreckage made the life I was leading unbearable, and I chose to get sober in January of 09, havent had a drink since. I stay sober today because I get to have my family back, run marathons, maintain friendships and enjoy life without having to use something to alter my consciousness. I know that alcohol is not a prerequisite for me to socialize with others authentically, nor do I need it to relax. I have many friends who drink and smoke buds, and they respect my choice, as I do theirs. I will say that 12 step stuff may be involved in my recovery, but that can be touchy to people. Basically when I drink I break out in handcuffs.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how this thread always gets bumped randomly..

I raise my glass of rye to you, sir.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I as suspicious of those who do not drink.

I am even more suspicious of vegetarians. Is there such a thing as a trustworthy vegetarian? I think not.

dune

Reaction score
Because I've got the straight edge. Never really liked alcohol, never got into cigarettes or drugs, decided to skip that stuff for life. Still have a lot of fun, it just doesn't involve alcohol.

blackjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I as suspicious of those who do not drink.

I am even more suspicious of vegetarians. Is there such a thing as a trustworthy vegetarian? I think not.

You might not realize how many people do not drink but don't necessarily telecast it to everyone. We're not talking about the obvious ones - Mormons, devout Muslims, wacky Christians, recovered alcoholics who want everyone to know ... and right down to pregnant women and under-age kids.

I found out there are quite a few who always appear to be drinking but aren't. Either they're drinking a tonic (without the gin) or even if they have a beer that's been handed to them, they're not drinking from it, and ditch it when no one is looking. If caught or cornered in a formal dinner situation where wine might be served, they might bow out explaining that they had a rough night and are on the wagon for now. Unless you're observing them with a purpose, chances are you'd never know. Sleight of hand goes a long way.

christinedaae

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Good for you! Do you go to AA?
Nope. Just quit. And heck today I can go to sports bars and all, I live off virgin daiquiris and coke. You want it bad enough you will figure it out. AA paints this picture of the addict getting worse and worse and living on the street. While this does happen, the avg addict, is addicted and at some point the fun/allure wears off and the will to quit gradually becomes stronger. But I don't' make any bones about me not drinking, I just say no thanks I'll pass. I had a date call me a chump one time I would not take a drink, I told her babe, trust me when I say it's in your best interest that I don't' order something to drink, and left it at that. I hate people that go around broadcasting their recovery just like i had people that go around broadcasting their (or lack of) religion. Personal beliefs should be kept personal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads