• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do most cupcakes suck?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
WHY DON'T YOU TRY TO LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT THE MOIST CAKES OF AMERICA

got u there.

laugh.gif

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well...this was a fun read
biggrin.gif
I own a company that makes, sells, and distributes cupcakes...as well as other goodies
smile.gif
Red velvet is my personal specialty. I've developed recipes for many others though.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is the cupcake piled so high with frosting that you can't even bite into the whole thing?

It's symbolic. It doesn't fit into a person's mouth because it is eating-disorder food. It is food for people whose ideas of pleasure and vice are so twisted up that they can't imagine a sweet treat of normal proportions, something a person might eat two or three of (for breakfast, maybe) without feeling nauseated.

It is a cupcake for people who hate cupcakes.
i hate this kind of faux-intellectual food writing. it's a cupcake, not a f&cking metaphor. Why do they put so much icing on it? maybe because they're bad bakers. Maybe because they like icing. Almost certainly not because of the psychic state of their customers.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i hate this kind of faux-intellectual food writing. it's a cupcake, not a f&cking metaphor. Why do they put so much icing on it? maybe because they're bad bakers. Maybe because they like icing. Almost certainly not because of the psychic state of their customers.
I like to pile frosting high on cupcakes. To deal with the sweetness factor I balance the frosting so it isn't so sweet. Simple really.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
Those overhyped, excessively ingredient laden, experimentally flavored cupcakes are just a fad. If you want a cupcake, ask for a simple one. If you like traditional frosting, it's ok, but try one with meringue frosting and you'll be hooked. Also, most cupcakes taste bad because you Americans like to eat your cake dry like hell, and cupcakes follow a similar recipe. Since cupcakes don't have layers of filling like cake does, the dryness is even worse. A recipe that uses heavy cream solves this problem.

Actually American cake tends to be rich but too sweet.

Ever had a Sacher torte? How would you describe it?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

but... but... it brings them back to this magical moment when they were 3 feet tall and staring through glass at a bakery in their childhood hometown. It looked enormous, and biting into it brings back a flurry of memories and nostalgia that would take Anthony Bourdain an entire episode of his nauseating show to philosophically render in his pseudo intellectual prose.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
because americans aren't fat enough already

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
but... but... it brings them back to this magical moment when they were 3 feet tall and staring through glass at a bakery in their childhood hometown. It looked enormous, and biting into it brings back a flurry of memories and nostalgia that would take Anthony Bourdain an entire episode of his nauseating show to philosophically render in his pseudo intellectual prose.

Ken_Burns.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by globetrotter
next thing will be cake pops. mark my words.

actually, there was an industry survey that predicted single-serving pie was the next thing.
Hmmm... I could've sworn that the next thing, and it's already here, are macarons. There are macaron shops everywhere, and they are available in every flavor. I don't believe that you guys are still discussing cupcakes in 2011.
Originally Posted by D Yizz
Those overhyped, excessively ingredient laden, experimentally flavored cupcakes are just a fad. If you want a cupcake, ask for a simple one. If you like traditional frosting, it's ok, but try one with meringue frosting and you'll be hooked. Also, most cupcakes taste bad because you Americans like to eat your cake dry like hell, and cupcakes follow a similar recipe. Since cupcakes don't have layers of filling like cake does, the dryness is even worse. A recipe that uses heavy cream solves this problem.

Actually American cake tends to be rich but too sweet.

Ever had a Sacher torte? How would you describe it?
Yes, both the genuine thing from the Sacher hotel and many, many variations. I would describe every one I've eaten as dense. The problem with American deserts, like most foods American, is the overuse of sugar.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stand by my prior post. Get some friends and share a cake. No one likes people who eat cupcakes.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KipBoehm