Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why do most cupcakes suck?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SField

SField Senior member

I don't get the cupcake thing. Most of them really suck. I've had them at many specialty bakeries and they don't taste like good cake or a good muffin.

The best cupcake I've had is at the Cafe at the Driskill Hotel in Austin. I just had another cupcake brought to me and I threw it out after a bite.

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I've had some pretty amazing cupcakes in my day.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

they don't need to be good. You just need to make them oversized, give them whimisical flavor names, hire a "hip" sales staff, and you've got a winning formula selling to all of the lame recent college grads who still cherish Natural Light as an acceptable beverage. To them, a $5 "chocolate lava bliss cupcake" is a luxury item indicative of them now being in "the big city"

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

they don't need to be good. You just need to make them oversized, give them whimisical flavor names, hire a "hip" sales staff, and you've got a winning formula selling to all of the lame recent college grads who still cherish Natural Light as an acceptable beverage. To them, a $5 "chocolate lava bliss cupcake" is a luxury item indicative of them now being in "the big city"

In Chicago, they're sold more often to people your age, mostly women, who think that going to that hot cupcake joint will not only make them seem like hip 25 year olds again, but that it's okay to sneak in a cupcake of 8 a week because they're special.

5. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

totally fucking agree. It's not rocket science - its plain cake topped with frosting. What's the appeal? I've been to Magnolia in since 2004, Sprinkles, etc... I'm much more impressed by a good bagel.

Lets break it down.

Cake: does anyone make superb cake? If so, do you expect a cupcake shop run by two 30-yr-old lesbian home-trained cooks to be able to do the same? no.

Frosting: yes you can make stupid rich frosting with a ton of butter, real fruit, real sugar, etc. big fucking deal.

Combining mediocre cake with super rich frosting - sure I guess, this is a good business model to sell these things at $3.50 each.

It's fucking obvious why every middle-aged privileged white woman without any other marketable skill is trying to move in on this business. Need to afford teh Beamerz with no husband yet

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

In Chicago, they're sold more often to people your age, mostly women, who think that going to that hot cupcake joint will not only make them seem like hip 25 year olds again, but that it's okay to sneak in a cupcake of 8 a week because they're special.

I'm not old tho [​IMG]

the demographic you describe is the same for NYC, the olders ones just don't extoll it like the the recent colleg grads who are all "CRUMBS omaigod"

7. robin

robin Senior member

The Macrina Bakery in Seattle sells the only cupcake I like, but it has a filling and is not fluffy like most.

[​IMG]

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I'm not old tho [​IMG]

the demographic you describe is the same for NYC, the olders ones just don't extoll it like the the recent colleg grads who are all "CRUMBS omaigod"

I know you're not old, I was talking age bracket 28-32.

9. sonick

sonick Senior member

+1 on this new boutique cupcake fad, wtf.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    cupcakes are the chihuahuas of food. girls think they look cuter when they're holding them.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

cupcakes are the chihuahuas of food. girls think they look cuter when they're holding them.

If they're holding one I guess it's acceptable. Six-at-a-go ain't working for me, though.

12. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

The cupcake fad may indeed suck on many levels. But without it, I would have never tried a red velvet with cream cheese frosting. So I'm not complaining.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    The cupcake fad may indeed suck on many levels. But without it, I would have never tried a red velvet with cream cheese frosting. So I'm not complaining.

too funny. our family just had a dinner celebrating 3 birthdays and we celebrated with ... red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting from our local diner. i will argue that when made properly, the cupcake does offer the perfect cake/frosting ratio.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

actually, I really like a good cupcake. There is a bakery a few blocks away from me that makes some great stuff. The problem is they're shit at most places, and especially shit at all of the "boutique" (translation: chain) places like Crumbs and Magnolia

15. adidasfan

adidasfan Senior member

I never liked cupcakes but have tried hundreds until I discovered
    the organic cupcakes (ive tried them a few places) and they are to die for.

Organic Red Velvet Cupcakes are amazing