1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why buy very high quality BLACK dress shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heidegger, Apr 10, 2012.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

so pulling a moo is sf approved now? amazing

sorry for not getting the memo in time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

immensly, i owe you something.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

wear them in good health. i have to admit, that i'm a bit envious atm.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. thinman

thinman Senior member

I knew someone could prove me wrong. :thumbs-up: on the shoes.

5. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

cheers, they have A-H character

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

truly underrated among this place, though.

7. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

IIRC this is NOT the case, only the hand grade ones are. Try the kent wang thread.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Last night I went to a reception at the house of the British Consul for alumni of Balliol College, Oxford, to meet Sir Drummond Bone, the new Master of Balliol, who impressed me as a most worthy new Master and a delightful fellow into the bargain. The group was a mixture of expatriate Britons and erstwhile Yanks at Oxford. "Business attire" was the dress code for the event. Thinking about this thread, I checked out the footwear of all the men in attendance. I was wearing black A-E PAs. I was wondering if any of Northampton's finest products would be on display, putting my poor, pedestrian Wisconsinian shoes to shame.

Nope! No other shoddings came even close to the PAs. I wasn't unduly surprised. Frankly, as others have pointed out, unless one is at an iGent event, a man in A-Es is going to be as well or better shod than 99.99% of the male population, and a man in my modest station in life is not likely to be hobnobbing with the .01 percent!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I really don't care too much for black shoes. I have a couple of pairs of Tricker's shoes, which I have 'bulled' up to a high shine. Tend to wear them for work or formal occasions. Personally, I wouldn't buy very expensive black shoes. Key thing is to look after them and keep them nicely polished - black shoes should really gleam. Get nice leather, not high-shine/corrected grain. This is most important.

10. insomb

insomb Senior member

Those Vass shoes are beautiful Pliny! Can you give more info on the ones without brogueing actually?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  11. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I don't like black shoes, but I own two pairs: an AE black captoe interview shoe and a Sutor Mantellassi perf captoe for my more formal wear. Aside from that, all of the rest are shades of brown/tan. So why spend a lot on a black dress shoe? Perhaps it is your more formal shoe and you wish to obtain a sleeker last. Once stepping up to C&J, Edward Green, Sutor Mantellassi, Sassetti, etc., I don't want to buy any more Allen Edmonds, except for certain lasts such as the 333 from the Independence Collection. Regardless, I'm generally nice to my clothes and shoes (other than what I consider beaters), and the desire for higher end shoes comes down to the specific look of the last. Since black shoes often lack depth in terms of color, the shape of the shoe is one of its defining characteristics.

12. Mute

Mute Senior member

Why? Because I can and I like the higher quality shoe. Why should anyone care if it's "approved" of here in SF?