1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why buy very high quality BLACK dress shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heidegger, Apr 10, 2012.

1. heidegger

heidegger Well-Known Member

I don't own any shoes better than Allen Edmonds but am thinking about moving up to Edward Green level. It seems that one advantage of shoes in this price range in the patina of the leather, but getting black shoes (although useful for me) would seem negate this advantage? Allen Edmonds already can last a long time and be resoled so what would the advantage of very high quality black shoes be - the shape of the last, knowing you have very well made shoes, or what?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If this question is being asked, I would strongly consider taking baby steps up the ladder to Edward Green.

3. heidegger

heidegger Well-Known Member

What baby steps would you recommend?

4. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

You need to read more on this forum.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Crockett & Jones, Carmina, etc.

6. 454Casull

454Casull Senior member

Are you happy with your black AEs? If yes, end of discussion.

7. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

+1.

Or save yourself the time/cost of this step and go straight to EG. You'll understand it out when you get there. Either way.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Or you could just get some brown A-Es and let an honest patina develop through use and multiple polishings.

Sator once posted an interesting comparison between a pair of A-E Park Avenues and their EG counterparts. I think most unbiased observers would have concluded there really wasn't much difference between them, certainly not enough to warrant the huge price differential.

1 person likes this.
  9. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

^This

Edward Green makes a fantastic shoe, but the differences between them and AE arent directly proportional to the price difference. I would second you taking a look at Crockett and Jones or Grenson as an intermediate step.

10. asturiano

asturiano Senior member

Why Grenson? I would personally put C&J and Trickers or Cheaney (Imperial range)

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Better shoes has better polish, thicker leather, softer wearing

You simply can't save money for this

p.s. for black dress shoes, you might work in court so that will be a necessity

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. bauerbach

bauerbach Active Member

just bought a alden black calfskin balmoral captoe. my own motives... American made, hand crafted inhouse with certain production standards. not to say alden are the only shoes which meet those criteria, but they are among the top of what I saw.

13. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I have Alden captoes that I really like, but they just don't compare style-wise with my C&Js, let alone my EGs.

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I agree completely. Black shoes above a certain point (say C&J benchgrade) offer ZERO additional value to me, so I just don't buy them.

As someone mentioned, if you're happy with Allen Edmonds, why bother getting a more expensive shoe?

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I approach the issue like the tuxedo. Why buy when you can rent?

Might as well get the very best for those items that are certainly seldom used.

Therefore my first bespoke purchase was plain black captoe

16. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I disagree.

I'd much rather get bespoke or high end version of what I wear regularly.

Tuxedos are extremely fine garments usually, so additional quality is noticeable here. Not so, at least to me, on black cap toes.

I have a pair of cheaney black captoes that I rarely wear. I could not ask for any more quality on this particular item.

17. ctbomber

ctbomber Well-Known Member

Just stay with Allen Edmonds then or something in the price range directly above if you really really need to see what its all about, especially if they are just for work. If you are worrying about "climbing the shoe ladder" you aren't really in a place in life where you should be dropping mucho dollars on them.

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

I'd normally suggest going straight up to EG and not looking back but this is not the case for their black shoes. Every black pair of EGs I've owned, the leather seemed to have been dyed all the way thru, [which I believe] made it difficult for me to get a good shine. It's hard to explain but I'd agree with others that when it comes to black, a less expensive shoe should work. I'd save that EG cash for something in another color which is where they really shine in terms of finish & leather quality.

19. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

business in general does suffice, imo.

20. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

There's no reason to overcomplicate things: if you're happy with your current shoes, there's no need to change. If you prefer the look & feel of a different brand, buy them instead. Deciding which you prefer isn't rocket science; you put them on your feet and see how they look and feel.

This isn't something where you can assign a cost to different aspects of the shoe and then decide whether the total sum is favourable; it's a much simpler aesthetic value judgement about worth. Taken to a personal level: I buy shoes that I like the look of when I put them on; if they're expensive I buy fewer or opt not to buy them. It would be ridiculous to buy a cheaper pair I don't like as much instead; given that I already have other shoes, it wouldn't actually fill a need and so be a pointless expenditure. Assuming you already have a couple of pairs of shoes - and your post suggests you do - I don't see why the same principle can't apply.

1 person likes this.