• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are 6x2 DB suits so much more common than 4x2?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
627_imgfull.jpg

Reminiscent of the blazer Lazenby wore in OHMSS.

Leon

I think that a 6x3 (or even 8x4!) is a FANTASTIC look as a blazer...but I do prefer to see it on men with a naval or military past or connection. Then it rocks, especially with five buttons on the sleeve.

Otherwise, I think you need to be trim to pull it off the 6x3.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Eh, maybe the guy in the picture isn't a good example, but it looks way too sausage-like to me.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hope forex doesn't mind, but this thread brought to mind his recent posting of his RLPL 4x2. I think it's pretty boss.

RLPLDB.jpg

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Eh, maybe the guy in the picture isn't a good example, but it looks way too sausage-like to me.

6x3's only work with a cut that has a lot of shape and structure ( that's why Dege does it and A&S doesn't
devil.gif
). It's easier if one is trim, but not impossible if one is not.

IMO that Dege jacket needs a little wider and a little lower button stance, but I really like the high throat.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
6x3's only work with a cut that has a lot of shape and structure ( that's why Dege does it and A&S doesn't
devil.gif
). It's easier if one is trim, but not impossible if one is not. IMO that Dege jacket needs a little wider and a little lower button stance, but I really like the high throat.

Yachtie, Maybe you can give us some idea about how people out and about in the workplace react to some of your more personalized jacket styles or fabric types. Some of the readers here frame your choices in a "They could never get away with that" manner. You doubtless see the many posts of people persecuted for their pocket squares or hounded out of their jobs for wearing more than two striped items at a time.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Yachtie,

Maybe you can give us some idea about how people out and about in the workplace react to some of your more personalized jacket styles or fabric types. Some of the readers here frame your choices in a "They could never get away with that" manner. You doubtless see the many posts of people persecuted for their pocket squares or hounded out of their jobs for wearing more than two striped items at a time.

I think that the only place such persecution happens is in the minds of the posters (and on the internetz). IRL NO ONE NOTICES jacket lapels, "funky" patterns, neon linings etc. At least that's been my experience.

The "clothes horses" may notice but they're our bretheren so that's not an issue.

Sometimes, people will notice a PS but that's rare. People do notice suspenders.

Wandering around in a 6x3 never generates anything save an occasional "you look sharp" comment- I've never heard anything concerning the button arrangement.

Hell, in that pearl/henna DB I'm INVISIBLE!
laugh.gif

I would go to NY to "out" Foo if he got that cream linen DB though.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the only place such persecution happens is in the minds of the posters (and on the internetz). IRL NO ONE NOTICES jacket lapels, "funky" patterns, neon linings etc. At least that's been my experience.

The "clothes horses" may notice but they're our bretheren so that's not an issue.

Sometimes, people will notice a PS but that's rare. People do notice suspenders.

Wandering around in a 6x3 never generates anything save an occasional "you look sharp" comment- I've never heard anything concerning the button arrangement.

Hell, in that pearl/henna DB I'm INVISIBLE!
laugh.gif

EXACTLY- outside the hyper-intense scrutiny of the SF extreme-interest crowd... I get the same reactions... "you look sharp... very dapper today... I like the tie/square" but that's it. The day somebody walks up and says "have you ever considered a Tautz lapel" I believe I'll keel over.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the only place such persecution happens is in the minds of the posters (and on the internetz). IRL NO ONE NOTICES jacket lapels, "funky" patterns, neon linings etc. At least that's been my experience. The "clothes horses" may notice but they're our bretheren so that's not an issue. Sometimes, people will notice a PS but that's rare. People do notice suspenders. Wandering around in a 6x3 never generates anything save an occasional "you look sharp" comment- I've never heard anything concerning the button arrangement. Hell, in that pearl/henna DB I'm INVISIBLE!
laugh.gif

And there is nothing IRL I like to avoid more concerning clothes than a clothes horse.
tounge.gif

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
EXACTLY- outside the hyper-intense scrutiny of the SF extreme-interest crowd... I get the same reactions... "you look sharp... very dapper today... I like the tie/square" but that's it. The day somebody walks up and says "have you ever considered a Tautz lapel" I believe I'll keel over.

There is a big difference between what people notice about other people (how they are dressed, how they behave, what their hair looks like, etc.) and what they tell you about, especially if you don't know the other person. Complimenting a stranger on a nice tie, jacket or shoes is fine, but starting to criticize their jacket lapels, shoelaces, buttons or (lack of) waist suppression is just rude.

You also can't compare postings on an internet forum where people ask for opinions and specific word of advice/improvements and general compliments from people you meet randomly or casually. If you actually ask people to comment such details as your jacket lapels or the cut of your suit, you may find that some people actually do care and notice, but that doesn't mean they will tell you unless you ask.

I notice odd things about people every day, but I don't go up them and lecture them about how they should dress or what they should or shouldn't wear.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Complimenting a stranger on a nice tie, jacket or shoes is fine, but starting to criticize their jacket lapels, shoelaces, buttons or (lack of) waist suppression is just rude.

Except on the Interwebz, where it is de rigueur.

Originally Posted by nordicstyle
You also can't compare postings on an internet forum where people ask for opinions and specific word of advice/improvements and general compliments from people you meet randomly or casually. If you actually ask people to comment such details as your jacket lapels or the cut of your suit, you may find that some people actually do care and notice, but that doesn't mean they will tell you unless you ask.

I notice odd things about people every day, but I don't go up them and lecture them about how they should dress or what they should or shouldn't wear.

You make an excellent point. Outright reaction...such as verbal praise or condemnation, applause or vomiting...is intrinsically rarer than unspoken impressions, or what others might say about you away from earshot.

Many people have lives that benefit at least a bit on channelling the reactions of others...friends, strangers, customers, clients, coworkers, superiors. Some do not. Balancing the benefits of conformity with an appetite for eccentricity lies at different points for everyone.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads