• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

joacimbylehn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh come off it. The average European dresses as ****** as the average American, maybe worse. Look at Germany. Jeezus.

I regularly deal with financial and tech industry professionals from all over Europe and travel there regularly. They’ve been copying our example for years. Business casual everywhere. The only thing you’re missing is the Patagonia vests.
Fully agree on this. In the end, it doesn't matter where you live, people who dress well do so because they care about it.
Many countries and regions still require suits for work, that doesn't automatically mean everyone looks fly as hell. In my experience, people who are forced to work in suits usually detests suits and buy they cheapest and most comfortable versions they can find.
When visiting our UK and Germany offices for instance, I generally see two camps: the young guys in overly slim suits and bumfreezers and the older guys with too long sleeves and pooling pants. Both of which turn up in jeans and a tee/chinos and a polo for the after work activities.

For reference, in Sweden, suits are required for very few jobs and it's been that way for quite some time. My father worked in trading all my life at one of the top 3 banks, I don't recall him wearing a suit to work ever, and when visiting his office, only management wore suits (usually sans tie).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

bluesman528

Reaction score
Of course it is very true for at least two decades that a suit and tie is not required anymore for most professions, most probably that was even the case when SF was founded. Since then this casualization spread to even more professions.

But from my (usually lurking) perspective the whole point of SF was to show all men being interested that it is still possible to wear tailored clothing in all professions not requiring physical labour in an urban environment because it is still is accepted as a cultural virtue even by many people who do not wear it. At least it is accepted by most others as a strange habit because they get used to the daily sight of a well-dressed guy. I have to know because I am working in IT. :cool: Thus it is pointless to whine about the destruction of dresscodes, it is still up to everyone to use tailored clothing in the office. Dresscodes always existed only for weaker men without knowledge or cultural ambition.

And this is not restricted to the working environment, it is also true for the personal life. Wearing tailored clothing is more a state of mind which often includes a sense for other fine things as well. Why that can be so easily abandoned by someone who has already seen the light and wrote ten thousands of emotional posts here about it is beyond me. But that is not a sign for the end of the world as we know it, it's only the capitulation of one of us. Perhaps he finally lost the fun and found other ways of spending his money. That's perfectly fine, the slightly depressing thing is that still 80% of this thread is about him. :foo:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also a lawyer here, in Canada. Always suit for lower court. For higher levels of court, we have standard robes, waist coats and shirts with tabs. Yep, we are still heavily influenced by the English traditions.

If I am in the office, I usually wear dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes.

For casual Friday, I will do jeans, or shorts in summer. The other staff who don’t go to court are always casual in my opinion. At my workplace, one quickly realizes who are the barristers vs solicitors and other staff.

I find that even lawyers are dressing down. Jacket with khakis. Loafers or other non-dress shoes. Women get away with a lot more.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

joacimbylehn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some ten years ago, I was working in an office demanding suit and tie every day. My boss was particularly picky as he one friday told me my grey suit with layered with a v-neck sweater and shirt sans tie and pocket square was "a great look for my off time, but that I should look professional". And this to a guy with no regular customer facing.
That period killed my interest in wearing tailoring for fun, off duty, 100%. Easing back into it now, but my casual wardrobe has grown considerably since.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And this is not restricted to the working environment, it is also true for the personal life. Wearing tailored clothing is more a state of mind which often includes a sense for other fine things as well. Why that can be so easily abandoned by someone who has already seen the light and wrote ten thousands of emotional posts here about it is beyond me. But that is not a sign for the end of the world as we know it, it's only the capitulation of one of us. Perhaps he finally lost the fun and found other ways of spending his money. That's perfectly fine, the slightly depressing thing is that still 80% of this thread is about him. :foo:

Much of SF wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Foo. I don't think half of the people here actually cared about the (unimportant) topic and just want to interact with the legendary persona. Admit it, some of you guys actually came back when Foo returned. Fok should give him a share.

TomTom

Reaction score
Have to comment on this ...again...Nobody would dare to come to work in a Patagonia fleece in any of the Law firms in the City I have worked in during my career ( Golden circle ). I have had to send somebody to the shop to buy a new pair of trousers as he basically came in in modern super short ones and a senior Partner commented...and guess what...They went to the store and bought some new trousers. If your workplace is all creatives wearing hoodies and Japanese denim , by all means , knock yourself out but luckily there are still some dress standards and thank god about that.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to comment on this ...again...Nobody would dare to come to work in a Patagonia fleece in any of the Law firms in the City I have worked in during my career ( Golden circle ). I have had to send somebody to the shop to buy a new pair of trousers as he basically came in in modern super short ones and a senior Partner commented...and guess what...They went to the store and bought some new trousers. If your workplace is all creatives wearing hoodies and Japanese denim , by all means , knock yourself out but luckily there are still some dress standards and thank god about that.
I'd like to ask about something. I've noticed a number of you lot adopting a certain casual approach to spelling and grammar in communication. How is that possible given the strict drafting standards at these firms? Is it a struggle with mobile keyboards? Thankfully my lawyer is as conscientious in his communication as in his work... I must admit to "judging" the txtspk.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'd like to ask about something. I've noticed a number of you lot adopting a certain casual approach to spelling and grammar in communication. How is that possible given the strict drafting standards at these firms? Is it a struggle with mobile keyboards? Thankfully my lawyer is as conscientious in his communication as in his work... I must admit to "judging" the txtspk.

i have a dust.. in my rolex

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads