• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think context is key -- Don't know who Recondite was disbursing the advice to, but considering the nature of the question, one can probably infer it to be coming from someone new to menswear, and just starting a wardrobe. In the specific circumstances, honestly, I think the comment regarding a navy and charcoal suit that would allow one to pair items differently is, fair and okay. I'd hardly recommend somebody starting out to buy a sports jacket in the heavier material and bolder patterns that mark one out. I might, however, qualify my advice to the person and explain my rationale so he knows where I'm coming from.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because people have worn it before, especially in a utilitarian manner (fighting a war in the desert) does not make it tasteful.

Will post an actual fit pic in a bit to see what yall think of it!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, pics! Sorry no full length today... It's cloudy out, so no light in the apartment.

Foo will probably hate the white shirt and PS. Suit is a darker navy.

Edit: Sorry for the tiny pic, larger now.

Last edited:

erpet

Reaction score

I have always argued that if it is hot enough for shorts, it's too hot to wear a jacket. The combination of shorts and a sports coat or blazer is silly regardless by whom it has previously been worn. It was discussed in another thread a while back and someone claimed it looks great because it was once worn by British officers, but the only pictures I have ever come across have been of the British desert uniform from WWII, i.e. a light cotton uniform and NOT anything more formal with (wool) jackets.

Style generally has a practical history, but this seems really far fetched and made up by confused people in Bermuda with nothing better to do.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ms - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.

Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ms - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.

Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.
Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd second this. Also, I personally am not crazy about this sort of woven tie, I very rarely find jacquard pattern ties that I like. Most of my woven ties are stripes or simple patterns (glen check, spot).

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.

Definitely invest in a white linen square if you haven't already, unless :foo: has convinced you that they are useless.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that's more like it!

Unfortunately, I'm on vaca somewhere in Asia right now and will not be wearing any Classic Menswear ensembles (as defined by this thread) for the next 2 weeks. Instead, it's going to be plain dark crewneck tees and short-sleeved polos, chino shorts, linen shirts, BDs, tan cotton trousers etc...

Ciao!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, just to get a bit more pics into this thread, here is something I wore last week. It's a reworking of an outfit I posted in here some time ago that got no love (rightfully so, I did a lot of things wrong with it). I think it's much better now, and appreciate the advice I got in here.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, although I like a more colorful pocket square with a casual outfit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads