1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Repost since there are more advise givers online right now and I got no response last time. Contrary to what someone said, I for one really do want advise. That is the only reason I post here. Yes, it's nice when people tell you that you look good, but the criticism is more useful than the praise. Anyone who is willing, please be harsh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Far from offensive but its very...shiny and a tad bit boring for my taste.

Is that a double FIH knot? I generally don't like those.

3. Caustic Man

What would you have gone with? A different texture/pattern? My first thought was to go with a wool tie but I wanted to try and see if I could make a silk work in this case.

Yeah, it's a DFIH. I probably just like them because I was proud of myself the first time I tied one successfully.

4. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wool, no. Does the jacket have silk in it? If so, its harder to stride away from the shiny stuff. You are also in Dubai so I'm guessing this is the go to look while in country. There is nothing worse than looking like your going on a grouse hunt in the middle of the desert.

5. Caustic Man

Tag says wool, no silk in this jacket. I'm actually not in Dubai at the moment, although admittedly still in the middle east so I guess that point stands. To be honest the go to look in Dubai seems to be black suit, pink tie, and full windsor. It's good to know that I'm not being offensive at least. That in itself is a big improvement for me.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

quite like this.
    really like the watch, particularly the band. may i ask what it is? interested pair ing with the shirt and suit. would not have thought of that.

7. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

If I really wanted to cut a dash in the Middle East, I'd be wearing lots relaxed Neapolitan stuff and lots of linen and fresco, and maybe some slubby silk.

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Caustic, there is something cheap and synthetic looking about the coat fabric.

Tie pattern is also pedestrian. If you're going to do stripes, stick with either plain repps or else slubby silk or some of those italian stripes with surface interest. That looks too satiny.

9. Caustic Man

Thanks for the critique. The jacket says it's 100% wool but I think I get what you mean. It's got a tiny bit of a sheen and I don't know why. Will do on the repp tie next time. I have one that I think might look ok with it but it's shinier than the one I am wearing in the pic. Do you think I could get away with any shinier of a tie with this jacket?

10. Manton

I am anti-shiny tie, except for twill evening ties (I hate satin).

11. Caustic Man

Fair enough! I think you may have exposed a weakness in my tie collection. Most of the more matte stuff I have is wool.

12. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

If I had to pick two classifications of people more suited to Styleforum than village idiots and attention whores, I'd be pretty well fucked.

2 people like this.
  13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think shiny works best when there's less of it. Can look good with a three-piece. Much more difficult when there's a big expanse of it dangling down your chest.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Any suggestions for a hanky to go with my last fit? I didn't really like how white linen looked. Cream silk? Better with no hank at all?

The suit is close to charcoal and the shirt is blue, now that I think of it.

BTW, sorry about the last derailment - hope things get back on track.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  15. Caustic Man

Well this requires asking then, can anyone give me a recommendation of where to find the kinds of ties you guys are talking about? I don't know what to ask for other than "non shiny silk ties" and that isn't helping me much.

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

from yesterday.

not a self stripe, its a fine herringbone that is barely visible from further back.

[​IMG]

17. Caustic Man

Stitch, I have a VERY similar jacket. Same general colors, herringbone, everything. Curious what trousers you selected with this.

18. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Is an embroidery as such in good taste? Huntsman is willing to do it for a slight up-charge. I don't foresee using a boutonniere.

[​IMG]

19. Manton

that looks dumb to me, faux-military.

2 people like this.
  20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I struggle to imagine when it would look good. Perhaps OK for a smoking jacket or that sort of thing, but not for day-to-day wear.