• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't say that this is in bad taste, but every element seems pedestrian. At least in this pic, there's no life in the combination. That the tie is such a straightforward red just adds to the snooze. Just one man's opinion, though...

I can.

I didn't really think the thread could get worse, but now it's just like the old conservative business dress thread, where a huge number of the posts are people posting outfits they damn well know violate the premises of the thread, and openly say "**** you!!!" every time they do. It's a mural constantly sprayed over by graffiti "artists."

Not you, NORE, your stuff lately has been excellent.

:lol: Daddy's home...

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't really think the thread could get worse, but now it's just like the old conservative business dress thread, where a huge number of the posts are people posting outfits they damn well know violate the premises of the thread, and openly say "**** you!!!" every time they do

I agree that many of the outfits have not been in good taste; however, I don't think it's intentional by the vast majority of those posting such outfits. I just think they truly don't understand what is good taste. I generally think it's people conflating boring and plain with good taste. That and people who don't have good taste thinking they do.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alright, so let me get this straight please, as I don't want to contribute to ruining this thread and I'm sorry if I did - what is exactly the aesthetic defined in the first few pages of this thread? Are odd jackets allowed?

Yes yes - I've enjoyed many of your posts.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I agree that many of the outfits have not been in good taste; however, I don't think it's intentional by the vast majority of those posting such outfits. I just think they truly don't understand what is good taste. I generally think it's people conflating boring and plain with good taste. That and people who don't have good taste thinking they do.

In some cases, it might be the old 'trying too hard'.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this one from Ethan Newton is very tasteful; I especially love the the pleasant interplay between the colours (it was this post that prompted me to finally buy the tie pictured):

deathntaxes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks to Manton & others for trying to right this listing ship. A previous comment also summarized "good taste" fairly: you should only post outfits that you consider as much better than your average outfit. By this measure, it is unlikely anyone should be posting daily or every other day.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it might be the tie not working well with the shirt. If you switched out the shirt to be just a light blue oxford cloth, then I think I would like it a lot more. The tie is interesting, I like it.

interesting. i had actually planned on pairing with a few solid blues, but i was not feeling it. i have another that i didnt think of till just now. tbh, i quite like it with this shirt, but next time, ill try with a solid blue oxfrod and see what happens.

and thanks, i find the tie interesting and quite like it too. :)

Alright, so let me get this straight please, as I don't want to contribute to ruining this thread and I'm sorry if I did - what is exactly the aesthetic defined in the first few pages of this thread? Are odd jackets allowed?

i think you have been fine.

that is in good taste

fo sho!
--
i also think there is a difference in posting stuff you know is contrary and just dont care, and posting stuff you think might be contrary, to get pointers on why in fact it is contrary. if you are actually and honestly trying to learn, i think that should be ok.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks to Manton & others for trying to right this listing ship. A previous comment also summarized "good taste" fairly: you should only post outfits that you consider as much better than your average outfit. By this measure, it is unlikely anyone should be posting daily or every other day.

i dont necessarily agree with that. i think a person should strive to dress in good taste every day. this is not the all stars thread, its the good taste thread. if you honestly think something is in good taste, or you think its close and you want to see what people think and what could be tweaked, i dont see the issue in posting it.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yep, when I'm not ******** up the thread with my own brilliant diagrams, I am actually trying to post pics I think are germane. I thought today's selection was seasonal, sober, and appropriate.

I didn't mean to be picking on you at all - I'd be interested in hearing what other people's impressions are of camel-colored SCs like the one you have. I'm sure it's a nice coat, but to me they always give the impression of a JAB ad. Vox has a camel DB that looks great, but that's a DB and that's Vox. I don't recall seeing any other particularly great fits with camel SCs, but I could just be blocking them out or have poor judgement in these things.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The absence of unambiguous criteria for "good taste," combined with increasingly sporadic, seemingly arbitrary critiques is what has led to this thread's decay. It can only cease devolving to WAYWRN with the care and feeding of its OP.

I remain earnest.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Simplicity can often yield taste, though taste is not inherent in simplicity. Just because you're not peacocking all over the place or mixing 4 patterns doesn't mean you're doing it well. And, albeit a smaller population, there are many that can combine what should be car-wreck elements on their own into a tasteful assembly.

The prerequisite to this thread is that something is put together with a deeper understanding than simply "this goes with that." A tasteful combination inspires and makes others want to replicate it. When you see something done in good taste, you're almost able to get an idea of what a person is like. It goes far beyond getting dressed. It's a trained eye and a level of experience that few posses.

Don't beat yourself up if you swing and miss. Instead, realize why you're not at the level. God forbid someone listen before they speak; read before they publish.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

interesting. i had actually planned on pairing with a few solid blues, but i was not feeling it. i have another that i didnt think of till just now. tbh, i quite like it with this shirt, but next time, ill try with a solid blue oxfrod and see what happens.

I think the reason it doesn't work for me is that you have a kind of mottled, muted palette on the tie and SC in browns and grays, then you've got a really high contrast and geometric pattern on the shirt. To me these things don't go well together.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The absence of unambiguous criteria for "good taste," combined with increasingly sporadic, seemingly arbitrary critiques is what has led to this thread's decay. It can only cease devolving to WAYWRN with the care and feeding of its OP.
I remain earnest.

I agree that careful curation is the only defense. But as to unambiguous criteria for good taste, such a thing would be impossible. Then it would no longer be good taste as it wouldn't require any judgement from the wearer.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be clear, for me personally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone posting fits in this thread that they really think are in "good taste". Even if they're off, it can be educational for them and others, especially if it's a close-but-no-cigar case. What I think should be kept to other threads are posts that are specifically intended to tear down the thread's view of what is good taste, or even question the existence of good taste at all, as this thread was built specifically to be a respite from such "anything goes/I wear what I like/I like to break the rules" posts in other threads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads